E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Question 2nd gear binding under hard accel

Ever since I had my new clutch (FX100) and flywheel (dual mass) installed, I've been having trouble getting out of second gear if I wait to shift at say 6000+ rpm. Easy driving, shifting at lower rpm gives no trouble - it shifts great. When it gets "stuck in gear", I am forced to keep the clutch disenganged and wait for the engine speed to drop enough for me to get it out of gear (and engine speed does drop, it doesn't seem like the clutch is still partially engaged).

Clutch pedal is completely to the floor. Transmission fluid is fresh. Thought it might be worn transmission mounts so I swapped in a barely used set of UUC red poly mounts I had but no difference. No odd vibrations through the shifter as I might expect if the linkage were contacting the flex disc (also replaced at the same time as the clutch). I don't think it's an issue with the slave cylinder or air in the system since it is only an issue when shifting at high rpm.

Any thoughts as to what the problem might be? My only thoughts at this point are that there may be too much play in either the pilot or throwout bearing leading to misalignment of the input shaft. Luckily, parts and install are still under warranty but getting to the root of this problem may prove tricky.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:53 PM   #2
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
That's really odd. Did you replace your shifter parts while it was apart? That significantly improved my shifting.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:06 PM   #3
TxZHP04

No but I didn't have any problems shifting prior to the new clutch.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
Old 08-19-2009, 02:09 PM   #4
AdamBath

My Ride: E30
Thats so strange. Wish I had some kind of input... Throwout bearing is probably where I'd look, if you're certain its not slave cylinder or line related...
Old 09-04-2009, 05:51 PM   #5
spikester550

My Ride: 330ci, 86.5 hardbody
Send a message via AIM to spikester550
i had the same problems flushed and put in new fluid in tranny fixed it right up =]
CF CSL Trunk, Black Kidney Grills, Smoked Corners,
Painted Reflectors, M3 Steering Wheel,
ZHP Shift Knob, Clutch Stop, Shark Injector,
15mm Spacers, 3k DDM HID Fogs, OEM M3 Hood,
Coilovers, UUC Sways, and many more..
spikester550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 06:26 PM   #6
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikester550 View Post
i had the same problems flushed and put in new fluid in tranny fixed it right up =]
Good to hear but that didn't help in my case.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
AdamBath

My Ride: E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
Good to hear but that didn't help in my case.
You're just gonna have to give me your supercharger setup, that'll fix it
Old 09-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #8
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamBath View Post
You're just gonna have to give me your supercharger setup, that'll fix it
Heh, nice try.
Old 09-05-2009, 12:37 AM   #9
Blacke46bmws

My Ride: black 2001 330i
You are Double Clutching right? ive heard of people who had the same problem but as soon as the double clutched no problem

<-----454 Big Block Chevy,Cams Racing Headers Dominator 1000CFM carb Chevy 12 bolt posy diff Roll cage Tubbed 16" Slicks 560 HP--->1973 Pontiac astro
Codename: WD40
Blacke46bmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 09:50 AM   #10
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacke46bmws View Post
You are Double Clutching right? ive heard of people who had the same problem but as soon as the double clutched no problem
You must have missed the part where I said it won't come out of gear. You can't double clutch if you're stuck in gear.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:49 AM   #11
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
I have the same issue with 3rd gear and I was told that air in slave cylinder or worn slave cylinder flexi hose expanding cause such issues. Sometimes to completely bleed the slave cylinder you need to take it out and tap it with a rubber mallet to force air bubles to escape from bleed screw. Best of luck to figure out the problem
Old 09-05-2009, 01:44 PM   #12
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Who changed your clutch?? most cars you dont need to crank the line before removing the slave cylinder, but its almost been my practice after my first went out because i didnt. I called a bmw tech and they said on bmws you have a good chance of ruining the slave cylinder if not, so check that make sure it doesnt have small leaks. sometimes they wont leak but the lil rod deal either wont go as far as it use to or to far. have you removed your lil clutch delay valve also? remove that shit if you have not yet also
InDiGlOM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 06:26 PM   #13
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
I have the same issue with 3rd gear and I was told that air in slave cylinder or worn slave cylinder flexi hose expanding cause such issues. Sometimes to completely bleed the slave cylinder you need to take it out and tap it with a rubber mallet to force air bubles to escape from bleed screw. Best of luck to figure out the problem
I had considered an air bubble and while certainly a possibility, it's probably one of the least likely issues. Hadn't considered the clutch line itself though. Given that I've got 90k miles on the car, I wonder if the increased resistance of the aftermarket pressure plate is causing the line to swell instead of disengaging the clutch. Not sure I can rationalize why this only becomes a problem above 6000 rpm and never in my normal day to day shifting though. Either way, might be a good excuse to upgrade from the stock clutch line.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:30 PM   #14
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
Who changed your clutch?? most cars you dont need to crank the line before removing the slave cylinder, but its almost been my practice after my first went out because i didnt. I called a bmw tech and they said on bmws you have a good chance of ruining the slave cylinder if not, so check that make sure it doesnt have small leaks. sometimes they wont leak but the lil rod deal either wont go as far as it use to or to far.
As with my response to paraklas, not sure I see why a hydraulic problem would be rpm dependent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
have you removed your lil clutch delay valve also? remove that shit if you have not yet also
Yeah, you're about 5.5 years and 90k miles late with that advice. That was the first thing to get ripped out after I bought the car new.
Old 09-05-2009, 08:27 PM   #15
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
I've run into the same problem. It all came down to the company that made the PP, had the fulcrum point in the wrong place. I found this out as I was so mad because they talked to me like I was an idiot, that I made up a jig and determined that they had screwed up the fulcrum point on the PP. I took a spare transmission and bolted it up to a spare motor. Then I started with the stock clutch assembly and measured the distance it took to release the clutch. From there, I put in this aftermarket unit. I found out that this aftermarket unit took 10mm of extra travel to get the clutch to release. That 10mm is beyond the travel of the slave cylinder. Maybe this isn't your problem but who knows.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:52 PM   #16
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post
I've run into the same problem. It all came down to the company that made the PP, had the fulcrum point in the wrong place. I found this out as I was so mad because they talked to me like I was an idiot, that I made up a jig and determined that they had screwed up the fulcrum point on the PP. I took a spare transmission and bolted it up to a spare motor. Then I started with the stock clutch assembly and measured the distance it took to release the clutch. From there, I put in this aftermarket unit. I found out that this aftermarket unit took 10mm of extra travel to get the clutch to release. That 10mm is beyond the travel of the slave cylinder. Maybe this isn't your problem but who knows.
Certainly worth exploring since I'm dealing with an aftermarket clutch and especially since Clutchmasters had some in issues in providing the correct parts for my 6-spd. They initially sent a kit for a 5-spd as their catalog didn't reflect any 6-spd applications for '03 or '04 models. We got that corrected but then the PP had to be replaced again with another unit because the first 6-spd unit was horribly out of balance.

New symptom tonight - major grind shifting into 2nd, still under hard accel though. Seems it's definitely not disengaging fully for one reason or another.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:29 PM   #17
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
Try this, put in a brand new stock clutch and PP and report back to what you found. As for me, once I stuck back in the stock unit, the shifting problem went away. So, I obviously didn't have this "mysterious" air in the clutch line. Again, this might not be your problem but it sure does bring back memories of two years ago for me.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:47 AM   #18
TxZHP04

Car is back in the shop to get this resolved. Interestingly, I learned that they used a stock throwout bearing when they put things back together after resolving the vibration problem. Reason was that the throwout bearing provided by ClutchMasters was "too long and preventing full engagement." Strangely, I never noticed any engagement issues with the CM provided TOB but now it won't fully disengage with the shorter stock TOB. Solution to my problem seems pretty cut and dry to me at this point.

The shop is taking care of all these issues under warranty but I think they're at the point where they want to cut their losses and move on. They've already mentioned being prepared to return it to stock if they don't find anything obvious once they've pulled the transmission. That wouldn't make me very happy as the whole reason I went aftermarket was to get away from the insanely frustrating stock SAC... and CM was their recommended clutch. I originally wanted to go SouthBend but they wouldn't warranty the installation of a product they didn't have any experience with. Of course, it doesn't seem that my problems at this point are related to the CM parts.

I paid to have this work done since it would be warrantied and because I didn't have the time to do it myself, much less deal with dropping the transmission 2 or 3 times to deal with these kind of problems (of course, I would have had the clutch and flywheel balanced before installing and would have used the parts from the clutch vendor and not the mix-n-match that appears to have occurred). Just goes to show, if your want something done right... gotta do it yourself.

I'm very frustrated at the moment. It's going to be interesting to see where things stand at the end of the day.

Last edited by TxZHP04; 09-09-2009 at 09:50 AM.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:48 AM   #19
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Where does one go to get a clutch/flywheel balanced? I might have to take mine off, wouldn't mind having this done.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:56 AM   #20
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
...GL man. So I guess you're just going to try the CM tob?

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote