E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 09-07-2009, 07:46 AM   #21
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
For the HPF guys when it comes to the fuel filter there really is no need to replace is even thou its pretty cheap. Its meant to be takin a apart and the little screen inside is easily cleaned. However the surface area on this new filter is much smaller then that of the Factory one so it needs to be clean or replaced more often, Id say 15-20k Would be safe. Below is a picture of the HPF fuel parts, the piece that says edelbrock is the fuel filter.

InDiGlOM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:55 AM   #22
MaverickM3

My Ride: gets badge
Originally Posted by mtran850
is there any symptom when the flex disc is bad or do you just have to pull it out to see if it is bad or not
Quote:
Originally Posted by ispeedm3 View Post
oh trust me you will know. you will feel a very bad vibration coming from the driveline.
Yeah you will definitely notice.. when mine first started going bad it felt like a rim had gotten bent.. Then i Noticed was only at a certain spd. Its a slight feeling that the center of your car is wanting to jump up and down. Mine wasn't an excessive but definitely noticeable.. some where around 55 56 thousand...
MaverickM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:10 PM   #23
Richaraiza

My Ride: TS2+ 330ci, 135i
Send a message via AIM to Richaraiza Send a message via Yahoo to Richaraiza Send a message via Skype™ to Richaraiza
Quote:
Originally Posted by sniperm View Post
where do get the flex disk?

how hot is it in dallas? i might be moving up to dallas next month..
Cheaper.
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html...ID=26112226527
Richaraiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:29 PM   #24
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
I've done the guibo a few times as well..

I do the SC belt every 15k miles or so, oil changes at 3k, and tranny/diff fluid once a year or so. I've only changed my fuel filter three times over 80k miles.

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #25
azjimi

My Ride: '02 M3 coupe
Funny, I cleaned my maf once & I don't remember it being that big of a pita....and I'm not even a mechanic. Maybe I just got lucky & had a good day. Now I'm afraid to try it again...lol!
VF Stage 2 S/C, Om Scorza exhaust, Stett Performance headers, Custom Performance Rasp Eliminator and Race Cats, GTR hood, 19" SSR GT3's, Bridgestone RE-11's, PSS9 coilovers, Eibach Sways, Powerflex RTABS, Angel Eyes, Smoked Depos

azjimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #26
6ick6ix6peed

My Ride: GUTTED & BlOWN
Im doing my flex disc this weekend. It's missing chunks
6ick6ix6peed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:06 PM   #27
Billy Drama

My Ride: 2006 E90 330i 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFMTRE View Post
Great post scott!

I havent done my air filter yet i should probly do that very soon.
My flex disk was cracked also pretty bad.
Photobucket

This is what a bad flex disc looks like.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:10 PM   #28
Rooz

My Ride: 2003 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACEMX-M3 View Post
I don't see this *important* info posted often so thought I would start a thread to see what everyone is doing to keep thier F/I cars running at top performance. Hopefully everyone is aware that F/I puts a lot more stress on your car's parts that are designed to wear and be replaced. Please post what's on your list of items to check and how often. Here's mine..

Engine Oil/Filter: I believe BMW recommends servicing the oil/filter every 15k miles, even for a n/a car with no mods that seems a little long to me. I may be on the extreme side of caution but my cars gets new oil/filter approx every 2 -3k miles.

Air Filter: Easily overlooked, if you're sucking in a lot more air your filter is going to collect dust and debris a lot faster. Last time I cleaned mine I was a bit overdue. I now clean and oil my filter with each engine oil change.

Transmission Fluid: BMW claims the tranny fluid is good for the life of the car, although they even recommend service @ 100k miles. My car has 50k miles on the clock (most of that was n/a) - I'm planning to change the tranny fluid soon.

Differential: Don't recall what BMW advises - I just changed mine recently. (Wear some kind of gas mask, the diff fluid smells like Sh!t.)

Flex Disk: If you're unfamiliar this is the ultra strong circle of reinforced rubber that connects your transmission to your drive shaft, I replaced mine about 5k miles ago as it was cracked and splitting everywhere. Replace as needed.

Spark Plugs/Coils: I generally replace these as needed. I keep saying I'm going to pony up for the Okada Coils, so far the $1k+ price has deterred me. If you own a HPF car they have recently upgraded to a new high performance plug that is quite expensive, but runs cooler, is pre-gapped, operates more efficiently, lasts longer and puts less stress on your coils.

Tires: uhh..

Brake Pads:

Methanol Injection: If your car has this remember to add two teaspoons of "Alcohol Fuel Lubricant" per 1.25 gallons of methanol. See this thread for more info: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...fuel+lubricant

Coolant: I live in Texas and it gets HOT during the summer months. In the summer I add a mix of distilled water and 2 bottles of Watter Wetter. In the winter months I go back to the oem BMW coolant.

All I can think of for now. Look forward to hearing other's rec's.

There are two very strong threads in this forum that have data backing up the fact that the synthetic oils lubricate the engine better if they stay in for the recomended service usage that is based on fuel consumption. So you might be doing more arm than good by changing your engine oil that often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
VIEW MOD LIST & PICS
Rooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:19 PM   #29
MSpired

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to MSpired Send a message via MSN to MSpired Send a message via Yahoo to MSpired
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooz View Post
There are two very strong threads in this forum that have data backing up the fact that the synthetic oils lubricate the engine better if they stay in for the recomended service usage that is based on fuel consumption. So you might be doing more arm than good by changing your engine oil that often.
I agree, leave it in for at least 5k.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #30
Richaraiza

My Ride: TS2+ 330ci, 135i
Send a message via AIM to Richaraiza Send a message via Yahoo to Richaraiza Send a message via Skype™ to Richaraiza
Unless you race or run it hard a lot, right?

*nvrmd, That would obviously go with fuel consumption*
Richaraiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:47 PM   #31
Rooz

My Ride: 2003 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSpired View Post
I agree, leave it in for at least 5k.
Actually just going by the OCD was found t be the best for our engines.

Thread 1

Thread 2

I know there is also another thread but I coudln't find it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg
Umnitza now provides a mechanic to install all parts ordered right in the box! It's their new "Total customer service program" that will eliminate all the haters and keep incompetents from breaking **** and blaming the vendor! When you are all set simply call INS and they will pick him up free of charge.
VIEW MOD LIST & PICS
Rooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #32
MSpired

My Ride: HPF Stage 2.5 e46 M3
Send a message via AIM to MSpired Send a message via MSN to MSpired Send a message via Yahoo to MSpired
Quote:
Actually just going by the OCD was found t be the best for our engines.

Thread 1

Thread 2

I know there is also another thread but I coudln't find it
Those are non-m's and NA, very different. But, that info just reassures me that changing oil every 5-7k is perfect for FI M3's.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:32 PM   #33
RACEMX-M3

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Wow, interesting.. first time I've heard this. I will check the threads.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:12 PM   #34
Estoril-E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Drama View Post

This is what a bad flex disc looks like.
You want to play that game? You lose:

(not mine "had no idea until it severed an electrical connection")

www.Precision-Sport.com

Last edited by Estoril-E46; 09-10-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Estoril-E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:18 PM   #35
Estoril-E46

Not so sure comparing an article written about fleet vehicles to high performance, boosted, and most likely hard drivne engines is really a wise idea. Pretty huge differences.

www.Precision-Sport.com
Old 09-10-2009, 11:26 PM   #36
azjimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril-E46 View Post
Not so sure comparing an article written about fleet vehicles to high performance, boosted, and most likely hard drivne engines is really a wise idea. Pretty huge differences.
Well, we won't ever really know if it's a huge diff unless some of those hard driving F/I guys submit their oil for testing.
VF Stage 2 S/C, Om Scorza exhaust, Stett Performance headers, Custom Performance Rasp Eliminator and Race Cats, GTR hood, 19" SSR GT3's, Bridgestone RE-11's, PSS9 coilovers, Eibach Sways, Powerflex RTABS, Angel Eyes, Smoked Depos

Old 09-10-2009, 11:32 PM   #37
RACEMX-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjimi View Post
Well, we won't ever really know if it's a huge diff unless some of those hard driving F/I guys submit their oil for testing.
I will send mine, who does the testing?
Old 09-10-2009, 11:38 PM   #38
Estoril-E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjimi View Post
I have 3 samples waiting to go in and always test my oil, but it wont make a difference. The oil testing only tell you if there is something wrong, not if it's a little above average.

www.Precision-Sport.com
Old 09-10-2009, 11:50 PM   #39
RACEMX-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril-E46 View Post
I have 3 samples waiting to go in and always test my oil, but it wont make a difference. The oil testing only tell you if there is something wrong, not if it's a little above average.
Hard to understand why there could be any issue with "new" oil. I will have to read up on this. If the oil performs at peak efficiency between 3,000 - 8,000 miles (example) why not ask Castrol to burn the first 3,000 miles before they bottle it?

I'm just say'n

Last edited by RACEMX-M3; 09-10-2009 at 11:55 PM.
RACEMX-M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:52 PM   #40
azjimi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACEMX-M3 View Post
I will send mine, who does the testing?
Blackstone Laboratories according to another poster