E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 11:55 PM   #41
azjimi

My Ride: '02 M3 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril-E46 View Post
I have 3 samples waiting to go in and always test my oil, but it wont make a difference. The oil testing only tell you if there is something wrong, not if it's a little above average.
That may be so but it doesn't jive w/what I read on those threads about it. I'm not arguing...just seeking knowledge. What you are saying needs a little more explanation.
VF Stage 2 S/C, Om Scorza exhaust, Stett Performance headers, Custom Performance Rasp Eliminator and Race Cats, GTR hood, 19" SSR GT3's, Bridgestone RE-11's, PSS9 coilovers, Eibach Sways, Powerflex RTABS, Angel Eyes, Smoked Depos

azjimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:06 AM   #42
SweTurbo
Banned User

My Ride: 323i -98
Remember to use some kind of injection cleaner every now and then , dunno how ESS/VF kits work but AA routes the CCV to the intake of the S/C , which puses quite abit of oil through the intake, which will eventually clog injectors and give missfires.

Lambdas could also be an item which requires replacing with F/I , but you'll notice when it's time
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:16 AM   #43
RACEMX-M3

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir4t View Post
Remember to use some kind of injection cleaner every now and then , dunno how ESS/VF kits work but AA routes the CCV to the intake of the S/C , which puses quite abit of oil through the intake, which will eventually clog injectors and give missfires.

Lambdas could also be an item which requires replacing with F/I , but you'll notice when it's time
That is interesting info, never heard this mentioned as a possible issue. Surprised some of the F/I vendors have not chimed into this thread with recommendations.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:39 AM   #44
azjimi

My Ride: '02 M3 coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by RACEMX-M3 View Post
Surprised some of the F/I vendors have not chimed into this thread with recommendations.
VF does have a recommendation but not sure what it's based on. So yeah, be nice to have some vendors chime in.
VF Stage 2 S/C, Om Scorza exhaust, Stett Performance headers, Custom Performance Rasp Eliminator and Race Cats, GTR hood, 19" SSR GT3's, Bridgestone RE-11's, PSS9 coilovers, Eibach Sways, Powerflex RTABS, Angel Eyes, Smoked Depos

azjimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:09 AM   #45
lkstaack

My Ride: 04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pir4t View Post

Perhaps I'm missing somthing, but I don't see how it will clog injectors. Engines with significant blow-by will have some oil being sucked into into the intake, but it shouldn't affect the injectors, should it? Paraklas was concerned that residual oil could affect the cooling abilities of the Laminova core of his intake, so he introduced a catch can into the system.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:03 PM   #46
SweTurbo
Banned User

My Ride: 323i -98
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post
Perhaps I'm missing somthing, but I don't see how it will clog injectors. Engines with significant blow-by will have some oil being sucked into into the intake, but it shouldn't affect the injectors, should it? Paraklas was concerned that residual oil could affect the cooling abilities of the Laminova core of his intake, so he introduced a catch can into the system.
Isnt the injectors mounted in the intake manifold ?

Oil during engine operation isnt a big factor , but once engine is shut off the oil will dry and if this is done often enough without running some inj.cleaner it will disrupt the flow of gas.(not much though , but could eventualy cause missfire in an extreme scenario)

Since the CCV is cut out when running boost you dont have the oil / oil vapours seperated , all of them gets sucked in...
SweTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 04:12 PM   #47
alibusoul

My Ride: TiAg e46 Vert
When you say distilled water and 2 bottles of water wetter, is that all you put or is this with the 50% OEM coolant?
Old 09-14-2009, 09:21 PM   #48
RACEMX-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alibusoul View Post
When you say distilled water and 2 bottles of water wetter, is that all you put or is this with the 50% OEM coolant?
During the summer the distilled water/water wetter mix (nothing else) is the most effective for transferring heat. "Antifreeze" or the oem BMW coolant (which is a 50/50 mix of water and antifreeze) must be added during the winter to prevent the engine coolant from freezing, which could easily crack your engine block.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:18 PM   #49
Estoril-E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACEMX-M3 View Post
Hard to understand why there could be any issue with "new" oil. I will have to read up on this. If the oil performs at peak efficiency between 3,000 - 8,000 miles (example) why not ask Castrol to burn the first 3,000 miles before they bottle it?

I'm just say'n
Oh didn't agree there would be an issue with new oil, I think the opposite and the tests being cited are pretty poor and should not be compared with our cars. The one link was about fleet vehicles which are pretty much the exact opposite of a hard driven performance car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azjimi View Post
Blackstone Laboratories according to another poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by azjimi View Post
That may be so but it doesn't jive w/what I read on those threads about it. I'm not arguing...just seeking knowledge. What you are saying needs a little more explanation.
I'm saying blackstone does not provide test results like what that "study" is claiming to find. Blackstone simply tells you the amount of various elements in your oil. Like lots lead/copper/aluminum and your bearings are probably being eaten for some reason. They also give a good indication of fuel dilution and flashpoint which are good indicators of various possible issues.

The best they give as a lubrication test is a measure of viscosity.

www.Precision-Sport.com
Estoril-E46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 11:52 PM   #50
RACEMX-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatmanSC View Post
hope this gets stickied
Better it got Acktung'ed.

Last edited by RACEMX-M3; 09-15-2010 at 11:53 PM.
RACEMX-M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #51
MachRc
E46Fanatic

My Ride: 2003 Technik S1 M3
A link to the HPF trouble shooting guide. For people who have a HPF setup.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=795096

"I never met a girl that make me feel like you do,..you're alright...Whenever I'm asked who makes my dreams real, I say that you do, you're alright..
Baby, baby, baby.. I'm bringing you a love that's true..Baby, baby, baby.. I'm bringing you a love that's true.."

Bimmerfest BBQ 2014
MachRc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:56 PM   #52
Jim Murphy

My Ride: 2006 E46 330Ci ZHP
SC Belt?

An earlier post on this thread said to replace the AA SC belt about every 15K miles THEN when I asked AA they said to replace it every 7K miles (at least inspect it). So now I really need to know what is the best interval for the AA SC belt?

Jim
Jim Murphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:05 AM   #53
gbwindham

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Tracking down K&N Filter Part Number

I have a Dinan supercharger kit on my 2.8L Z3. I need to replace the K&N filter, on the cold air intake, but I don't know the K&N part number. I presume the part number is molded into the filter, but I work long days and don't have time to pull it out and replace it just to find the part number. Anyone already know the K&N part number? My local parts store carries K&N - it's just a matter of cross-referencing...

Any experience with those pre-filter "socks" that I've heard are available?
gbwindham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 10:22 PM   #54
Bdave

My Ride: M3 HPF Stage 3
For SC'd cars ALWAYS carry a spare belt. They can be HELL to find in a pinch...special order very often. Dont forget a spare AC belt. The SC belt will take out your AC belt if it is a catastrophic failure.

Cut vent holes in your valve cover to allow your coils to run cooler. Get creative and create a venturie effect.

Look in getting a better LSD for traction like an OS Gikken. Monitor ALL your bushings, sub frame bushings, front diff bushing, RTABS, etc. They will be more prone to failure.

Look into getting a CATCH CAN.

Monitor for OIL LEAKS in your lower oil line hoses near your alternator. For some reason these can tend to weep when you have any F/I, so I am told.
Mine did.

Keep ALL oil off any SC belts. The belt will slip and self destruct.

Severely lowered cars like those on KW coil overs are more prone to axle breakage, especially if you have any wheel hop with the DSC turned off. A BMW shop foreman said that the new angle of a severely lowered car puts a LOT more strain on the Axle and CV. Look into getting DSS 1000 HP axles or the very least, raising your ride height just a LITTLE. That right there will help a lot.

Last edited by Bdave; 05-30-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Bdave is offline   Reply With Quote