E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #1
artgod33

My Ride: 2004 325i
Inner Tie Rod

Got some new tires put on a and a 4 wheel alignment at Town Fair.

They said I need a driver side inner tie rod..

Any idea on price of the part, rough price to get fixed and how easy/ difficult it would be to do by myself?

They were good and said once the tie rod gets fixed to bring it back for a free alignment.

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:58 PM   #2
jmay87

My Ride: e36,e46,e90
A whole new tie rod assembly is about $75. Most places sell the whole assembly and not the outer and inner parts separately, but you might as well replace the whole thing anyway. It is very DIYable if you are somewhat mechanically inclined and have a decent set of tools. Having done it before, I could probably do both sides in about an hour. It can be difficult to get the tie rod end to break free from the wheel hub, but a little heat and a big hammer usually does the trick. If you take it to a shop I would think an hour of labor would be a reasonable charge.

jmay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:11 PM   #3
FCPGroton
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 2000 E39 / 2011 M3
You should also do both at the same time other wise it will but more load on the old tie rod and that will go soon after you change the driver side tie rod.
FCPGroton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #4
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
75 for a ebay POS item yes, Do not get anything but OEM/Lemforder. You should do both inner and outer, both sides. Why do you need new tie rods?.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:37 PM   #5
jmay87

My Ride: e36,e46,e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2Bimmer View Post
75 for a ebay POS item yes, Do not get anything but OEM/Lemforder. You should do both inner and outer, both sides. Why do you need new tie rods?.
looks like about $75 to me

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/cata..._pg1.htm#item0

jmay87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:21 PM   #6
eedna

My Ride: 01 325i
i got a quote from my shop for both tie rods + labor @ $555
eedna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 11:45 PM   #7
n2Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmay87 View Post
Wow, looks like a good deal, tnx for that link. My bad. Guess i was looking around at the wrong places. hehe.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:45 PM   #8
n2Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eedna View Post
i got a quote from my shop for both tie rods + labor @ $555
Replacing tie rods are very easy. Just need a alignment after. No way around it.
Old 09-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #9
artgod33

My Ride: 2004 325i
Thanks for the help guys.

I'll replace both and talk one of my more wrench friendly buddies to give me a hand just in cae.

I'm thinking I probably hit a pothole that f'd it up... I'm in Boston, we have potholes the size of national parks and they ruin everything.

n2Bimmer<- Congratulations... I've never seen anyone actually admit they were mistaken on this board before.
Old 09-16-2009, 03:44 PM   #10
Kubica

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by artgod33 View Post

I'll replace both and talk one of my more wrench friendly buddies to give me a hand just in cae.

I'm thinking I probably hit a pothole that f'd it up... I'm in Boston, we have potholes the size of national parks and they ruin everything.

n2Bimmer<- Congratulations... I've never seen anyone actually admit they were mistaken on this board before.
Which Town Fair did you go to? It's possible you dont need a tie rod- the adjusting nut could just be seized. If so, use a torch to heat it up and back it off. I took my car to Direct Tire for an alignment and they handed me a $600 repair estimate because they didnt want to use a torch, they just wanted to replace them.
Kubica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 04:08 PM   #11
n2Bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by artgod33 View Post

Alot of people get mistaken, Were all human, No one likes to admit they are wrong. I dont know everything and i have alot to learn myself.

Tags
alignment, rod, tie, tie rod, tires