E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum

Motorsports & Track Forum
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports – this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-28-2009, 11:40 AM   #1
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
*** Japanese Grand Prix ***

I'm excited about Suzuka! I haven't been watching F1 for that long so it will be a new track to me, but the announcers really hyped it up so I can't wait. I love it when races are back-to-back!

I hope BMW has better luck this coming race. I want to see what the new chassis can do!

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Japanese Grand Prix - Preview
2nd – 4th October 2009
15th of 17 World Championship races

Munich/Hinwil - The mere mention of Suzuka sets drivers’ pulses racing. This fabulous race track offers every type of corner in the book – from the spectacular esses after the start, to the challenging Spoon curve and the tight hairpin, all the way to the high-speed 130R. For three years almost to the day, drivers have had to forgo the unique thrills of this circuit while Formula One was hosted by Fuji. 2009 sees the Japanese Grand Prix return to Suzuka this coming Sunday, 4th October.

Robert Kubica:
“I am really looking forward to going racing in Suzuka again. The circuit is one of the most exciting tracks to drive on – for me it is one of the best circuits in the world. There are a lot of really challenging high-speed corners, especially the 130R which is really fast. The fans there are fantastic. In 2006 a lot of them in the grandstands stayed at the circuit until very late in the night. They are really passionate and enjoy Formula One a lot.”

Nick Heidfeld:
“I’m thrilled that my favorite Formula One circuit is back on the calendar. It will be interesting to see what changes it has in store for us. I know the track has been partly resurfaced, and there’s always the possibility of the forces of nature intervening – we’ve already had an earthquake and a close call with a typhoon. The weather is always an issue and there’s been torrential rain often enough in Suzuka. It’s quite a long circuit, very varied, and it flows beautifully. The first section with its double-apex right-hander and sequence of esses is really superb. But you have to get into the flow properly; if you make a mistake in one turn, you’ll mess up all the rest.

“I really enjoy going to Japan. The first time round I didn’t immediately take to it, but since then I’ve become a great fan. I just love the food and the unique atmosphere. I’ll be spending a few days in Tokyo ahead of the race in Suzuka.”

Mario Theissen, BMW Motorsport Director:
“It’s one race chasing the next on the home straight of the 2009 Formula One season. Seven days after the night race in Singapore we’ve got the next round in Suzuka, Japan, which completes the back-to-backs in a region that is extremely important for the BMW Group.

“This circuit is one of the most challenging for the drivers, making it a real favorite among them and the fans. A well-balanced car is a must in Suzuka. But it’s a tough track for the engine experts as well: in the ultra-fast 130R turn you get lateral acceleration forces of up to 6g and it’s essential the oil keeps flowing.”

Willy Rampf, Head of Engineering:
“With its many fast corner combinations, the Suzuka Circuit is one of the most challenging in the Formula One calendar. The gradients also contribute to making this a true race track. The esses in the first sector are crucial to lap times: you can lose a lot of time there if you don’t follow the ideal line. It’s a unique sector, no other Formula One circuit has anything like it. There’s also the tight hairpin, but the dominant feature are the medium and high-speed corners. It’s a real contrast to Singapore’s city circuit which has more of a stop-go rhythm. That’s why the car’s balance is so important in Suzuka. As for configuration, we’ll be setting the car up with a high downforce level similar to that in Singapore.”

History and background:
2009 marks the 21st Japanese Grand Prix to be staged at Suzuka. Formula One debuted at the track in 1987; prior to that two Japanese Grands Prix were held in 1976 and 1977 at the circuit below Mount Fuji, which also hosted the Formula One events in 2007 and 2008. In 1994 and 1995 the Pacific GP was held at Japan’s Aida circuit.

The 2004 Japanese Grand Prix remains seared in the memory of the teams who were there. On the Saturday the track was completely closed off due to an approaching typhoon, which eventually made landfall elsewhere. Amid heavy downpours on Friday, the teams had packed up and secured all their equipment. The all-clear came on Saturday afternoon and qualifying was held on Sunday morning. Formula One had already had a taste of natural forces at Suzuka in 2000 when the mild aftershocks of an earthquake could be felt during free practice.

The Suzuka Circuit is the only F1 track designed in a figure 8. It is located in the middle of a large leisure park dominated by its hallmark Ferris wheel.

The city of Suzuka lies on the southeast coast of Japan’s main island of Honshu and belongs to the Mie Prefecture. The car manufacturer Honda has major production plants in this city of 200,000 inhabitants. Its European twin city likewise has a strong automotive connection: Le Mans in France.
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
tim330i
Owner/Admin

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Japanese Grand Prix - Free Practice
Weather: Rain, 21-22°C Air, 21-23°C Track, Humidity 91-97%

Suzuka (JP). Due to rain of varying amounts in both free practice sessions on Friday in Suzuka there wasn't much to learn about the car set-up. From Saturday on the weather conditions are predicted to be dry.

In the morning session at least some laps on Intermediate tyres were possible, but in the afternoon the rain didn't allow for anything but full wet tyres. Kubica did six laps on them, Heidfeld ten. Both only went out near the end of the session.

Robert Kubica:
BMW Sauber F1.09-08 / BMW P86/9
1st Free Practice: 15th, 1:42.833 min / 2nd Free Practice: 10th, 1:48.861 min

"It is really good to be back in Suzuka. The track is amazing to drive on. Unfortunately the weather conditions were far from ideal today as we could not run at all in the dry. In the morning we did a couple of laps on full wet and also intermediate tyres just to check the balance of the car. The weather conditions during the afternoon session were even worse than in the morning, as there was really lots of water on the track. Preparing for tomorrow will be a bit of a guessing game, as the weather forecast predicts dry conditions for tomorrow."

Nick Heidfeld:
BMW Sauber F1.09-07 / BMW P86/9
1st Free Practice: 16th, 1:42.977 min / 2nd Free Practice: 17th, 1:50.179 min

"Certainly there wasn't much to learn today. I feel sorry for the many Japanese fans who stayed out in the grandstands despite the nasty weather but didn't get much to watch."

Willy Rampf (Head of Engineering):
"This was not a usual Friday. The ongoing rain throughout the whole day forced us to do a minimum programme. With this we only got a set-up for wet conditions. More was not possible today. The next two days should stay dry."
Old 10-05-2009, 10:24 AM   #3
tim330i
Owner/Admin

*********** QUALIFYING SPOILER *****************

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Japanese Grand Prix - Qualifying
Weather: dry, sunny, 25-26°C Air, 26-44°C Track

Suzuka (JP). The incident packed qualifying for the Japanese Grand Prix took almost 90 minutes. The second part of qualifying was red flagged twice and in the end yellow flags played an important role. Nick Heidfeld was the only driver from the BMW Sauber F1 Team to make it into the top ten qualifying. In Q3, which was interrupted by another accident, he improved to sixth. Robert Kubica was 13th fastest in the second part of qualifying.

Nick Heidfeld:
Qualifying 6th, 1:32.945 min (3rd Free Practice: 12th, 1:32.736min)

"I'm happy with my qualifying performance. I had a really good lap in Q3. I wasn't too optimistic for qualifying because in free practice this morning I struggled a bit with the set-up and had to go for a compromise. In Q2 I saw the yellow flags and lifted my foot off the pedal and raised an arm to indicate I had reduced speed where I was required to. I was a couple of tenths slower. Obviously it was a very strange qualifying. I have never known one before with so many accidents and I hope Timo is ok."

Robert Kubica:
Qualifying 13th, 1:32.341 min in Q2 (3rd Free Practice: 17th, 1:32.848 min)

"My qualifying was totally disappointing. All my flying laps in the second session were destroyed by red or yellow flags. In the entire fifteen minutes we were not able to do one quick timed lap. Qualifying for tomorrow's race in 13th is far from ideal. Suzuka is a fantastic track but overtaking isn't too easy here. It is how it is. I hope Timo is ok. I wish him all the best."

Mario Theissen (BMW Motorsport Director):
"I have not witnessed a qualifying with five accidents despite perfect weather conditions. First and foremost we hope that Timo Glock has not suffered any serious injuries. Several red flags also influenced our qualifying result. In the second session both Robert and Nick had to cancel their quickest flying lap. Nick narrowly made it into the top ten qualifying, while Robert had to retire after the second session. After the final break during the last qualifying session Nick managed to qualify in sixth. This is a good starting position for tomorrow's race."

"It was an incident packed and almost 90 minutes long qualifying with three red flags. The whole operation was handled without any mistakes by our crew. Nick being sixth is in a good position for tomorrow´s race. We are satisfied with that and well prepared for the race. Robert was unlucky when he had to slow down in his last and decisive run in Q2 due to a yellow flag. He lost some valuable time there. We all hope that Timo is not seriously injured."
Old 10-05-2009, 10:26 AM   #4
tim330i
Owner/Admin

*********** RACE SPOILER *****************

BMW Sauber F1 Team - Japanese Grand Prix - Race

Weather: dry, 25-26°C Air, 35-40°C Track

Suzuka (JP). The BMW Sauber F1 Team managed to score points in the fifth consecutive race, but is not happy with the result. Nick Heidfeld started from fourth, but in the Japanese Grand Prix lost two positions due to bad luck and finished sixth. Robert Kubica came from ninth on the grid to finish ninth.

Nick Heidfeld: 6th
Fastest lap 1:33.600 min on lap 13 (10th fastest overall)

“Today was not our lucky day. I’m very disappointed with this result. Fourth place was within reach but several things went wrong today, especially at the second pit stop when the rear right wheel nut got stuck. But certainly I don’t want to complain. These things can happen and normally we have very good pit stops. That was when I lost a position to Kimi, and I rejoined the race just behind him. When the safety car came out I lost another position to Nico, who was lucky to refuel while the safety car was out.“

Robert Kubica: 9th
Fastest lap 1:33.334 min on lap 44 (7th fastest overall)

“The entire weekend was unlucky for me. Yesterday I wasn’t able to show my good pace due to the red and yellow flags. Today I was stuck in traffic a couple of times. Furthermore I lost much time at the beginning of the race with a heavy and understeering car. Once the car was lighter and I got into my rhythm I was quite quick. I was then very unlucky with my first pit stop, as after the stop both Kimi and Nick were in front of me. That cost me time. Also after the safety car period I was in traffic. I was stuck behind Jenson. I was quicker than him in the corners, but was not able to overtake as we were missing some top speed on the straights.”

Mario Theissen (BMW Motorsport Director):
“That was a strong performance from us with a disappointing end. Nick was quick and well on his way on fourth. Then he lost a position during his second pit stop due to a sticking wheel nut. He lost another position during the safety-car-period when Nico Rosberg passed him after his pit stop. Coming in ninth, Robert missed the points by just a small margin.”

“Today more should have been possible for us. Nick established himself in fourth for a long time. Until his second pit stop, which we did earlier because Kimi Räikkönen was right behind him, everything went according to plan. But during the pit stop a problem occurred which cost us valuable seconds. As a consequence Kimi was able to get by. During the safety-car-period Nick lost another position. Robert lost a position after the start which he gained back later during the race. But at the end it was just not enough to score a point."