E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld

Suspension & Braking Forum by BimmerWorld
Have some questions about suspension or brake setups for your E46 BMW? Get all your answers here!
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 14 votes, 4.71 average.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:26 AM   #1
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 3 Pedal SG S54B32
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
RaceLand Coilover Review

Yes, I bought the $258 coilovers from ebay. Flame if you want, I know a few people on here that already will. I will try and give the best review I can for everyone here.

Previous Set-Up:

My previous suspension was h&r sports with no spring pads on stock shocks. Since my car was pretty low they blew pretty quickly (a few months after install). It was pretty decent even after they blew as far as street/city usage goes. As far as canyoning/performance orientated driving they were blah, not stiff enough and really just bad, but i continued to canyon them for a good 2 years after install.

Reasons for buying Raceland:

They were cheap and my suspension was blown. My thoughts were, ****, nothing could be any worst than blown shocks and for $258 shipped, that's a deal i can't pass up. So i pulled the trigger.

First thoughts:

They were packed nicely. All the parts had little stickers on them saying "made in china". All the parts looked like they were made pretty well. All the welds looked good, nothing cheap or flimsy looking.

Second thoughts:

After installation, the car felt great... but coming from blown shocks anything would feel pretty damn good to be honest. I didn't really break them in at all, the 2nd week i had them i was in teh canyons. LOL. I felt a lot more of teh bumps on the street then when i had my spring/shock combo. As far as canyons go i thought they were pretty soft, I like my car to ride pretty stiff *insert ghey joke here* After about 1k miles they finally "broke-in" and the ride got a tad bit stiffer, but i liked it.

Just this past weekend I was out on the track with them, they felt pretty good. I actually raised them up to get some more travel out of them and they handled A LOT better, but that comes with all suspension. Like i said before a bit soft for my liking but they were definitely decent, especially for the money i spent on them. Even my buddy who drives spec miata said he liked the suspension after riding with me.

As far as the drop goes, I know a friend who has his car pretty fuking slammed on them.

The problems:

I've driven this on this suspension for a little less than 2k miles now. One thing that did happen was that one of the tabs that were welded on to stop the strut from going further into the knuckle broke off. I emailed Raceland and they sent me out a brand new one. The only problem, they sent the wrong side. I let them know and they immediately sent out a replacement. They also sent return labels to send them back the old struts.

My other friend who will hopefully will post in this thread hasn't had any problems with them so far.

Overall:

I find this suspension to be pretty damn decent for the money. I drive my car pretty damn hard and they've stood up to my beatings. They drop pretty low, even though the suspension feels horrible that low. As far as street driving goes, they are really great. As far as performance driving, they are decently stiff, but not close to as stiff as i wanted it, but i'm not complaining too much. I think that if you keep these at a pretty decent height and add a good set of sways it'll be pretty good.

I also recommend you get some shorter swaybar endlinks because the mount for them on the coilover is pretty low and they will go really fast. Mine did.

The only question now is: How long will they last?

I hope I've given you guys a good insight on this suspension. If you are on blown suspension and need something to drive around on for a while I say go for it. If you aren't I say just keep saving for something a bit nicer.

-Raj

UPDATE POST #16

Last edited by SL Blak Soldier; 10-05-2009 at 07:50 PM.
SL Blak Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-05-2009, 03:40 AM   #2
HardPark'd TT

My Ride: is parked hard.
Send a message via AIM to HardPark'd TT
And so it begins. A new era in lowering e46's. Nice review Raj can't wait to see how they hold up over time.

Bagged TT 225Q SOLD - e46 M3 SOLD - W202 SOLD - e46 325i SOLD
HardPark'd TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:41 AM   #3
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
uh you forgot something. where are the pictures? what kind of review doesn't have pictures? lol

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 04:02 AM   #4
e46techtuner

My Ride: 2000 328i
Nice write up! $250 sounds to good to be true though.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:08 AM   #5
phrozen06

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
I just read about their product on ebay. The seem reputable and have a decent feedback rating.

Last edited by phrozen06; 10-05-2009 at 04:10 AM.
phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:35 AM   #6
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Would you recommend these for Northerns? Nice Review BTW...
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:26 PM   #7
SpeedDemon

My Ride: 08 M3/05 ZHP/08 R32
When you say really low, and then when you say you raised it up, can you let us know the measurements of both... e.g. center of wheel hub to the height of the fender?

You're very brave for driving at high speed on the track on a set of $260 coilovers I'm really curious to hear some long term reviews.
SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #8
w0w

My Ride: '02 M3 Vert
i think i might be the other friend

as for my review, not many complaints from my end. A LOT more comfortable than race springs with blown zhp shocks in front and bilstein sports in the rear. turning is not as good as my race springs, but still a giant leap from non-sport suspension. build quality was quite good, the shocks and springs very physically very soft which scared me at first (springs and shocks were easily compressable by hand) but all was well once installed. its somewhat hard to gauge these coils, theyre definitely softer than race springs but its still pretty stiff considering how low im sitting (actually lookin to lower the front a tiny bit more )

my ONLY gripe is at low speeds on an uneven highway i bounce quite a lot, and because its my commute to school and i go to class 4 times a week it does bother me sometimes. high speeds however, the car is comfortable. also, these coils can go LOW. im sitting 3 threads from the lowest setting in the rear and im about 1.5 inches from the end of the threads to the bottom collar in the front if it wasnt for my bumper i would be sitting cm's off the ground but we cant have everything we want

so after my ~2,000 mile review, i am very pleased with how they turned out. raj has taken these coils to the limit while ive been riding low and slow since initial install so these reviews should help out anyone lookin to get the raceland coils for either direction ur heading

Old 10-05-2009, 12:37 PM   #9
Mo_Zhp

My Ride: Sedan E30 m20b25
Send a message via AIM to Mo_Zhp
They held up at the track too?

Congrats Raj. lol

"Any BMW I'll ever own has already been built."
Mo_Zhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 01:17 PM   #10
obm330ci

My Ride: 02' 330ci
I got mine for $238 shipped from their site. I have had them for about 600 miles and so far so good. If your looking to go low they defiantly will let you accomplish that. I still have at least an inch in the front(took out helpers and two spacers in the middle) and the rear is all the way down(could take out adjuster and go lower if I wanted). They can be bouncy at times but nothing extreme. Overall I like them way better than my sport cup kit that I had on before these.

obm330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 02:42 PM   #11
w0w

My Ride: '02 M3 Vert
looks so low with stock 17's
Old 10-05-2009, 03:11 PM   #12
BMWespresso

My Ride: 2005 325CI
nice stance
Old 10-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #13
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
Nice, tnx for the review. As long as your safe with them.
Old 10-05-2009, 04:00 PM   #14
Devious1
Invalid User

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Devious1
nice review Raj.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:47 PM   #15
Sucker Punch

My Ride: 330I, GLI
These coils are picking up fast in the vw community. I'll be installing a set on a jetta weds. I'm really curious to see how they are in person.
Sucker Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 07:50 PM   #16
SL Blak Soldier

Okay so i just did a post check of the car after teh track and it looks like what just happened to the passenger side, happend to the driver's side. The little nub sheared off. I just emailed Raceland, we'll see what happens.
Old 10-06-2009, 05:56 PM   #17
SL Blak Soldier

Just another update.... Raceland replied to my email and said if i want i could have a full refund or replacement shock. I'm still trying to decide if it is worht it or if i should go back to oem shocks with h&r springs.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:05 PM   #18
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
ask them, if you get a replacement shock and it happens again, can you get a full refund still lol

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:55 AM   #19
So Lowww

My Ride: E36M
im thinking of getting these, im not trakcing at the moment, so u think the would shear off or is that coz of the tracking?
Old 10-11-2009, 10:54 AM   #20
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Just goes to prove that even though a $258 set of coilovers might look nice, corners most certainly have been cut to achieve that price. Question is what will fail next... and when.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coilovers, ebay, raceland, review