E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
sbuoncri

My Ride: 325it TS1, e30
Getting rid of Drive by Wire

I'd like to get rid of my DBW

I request that if you are not educated on the subject, please do not post.

I'm considering 2 options for retrofitting cable throttle on an m54.

1. Using an m52 TB and ASC module, remove SA in KOMBIE for DSC and add SA for ASC. Then of course recode all modules to sync SA.

The issue:
m54 engine management (if i understand it correctly) receives input for throttle control from DSC.

2. I feel like it won't work but I really can't think of a specific reason of why it wouldn't.

Put in the cable throttle and leave the m54 TB connected to the harness but uninstalled. M54 has an ICV so I can't think of why it would be a problem.

What potential issues do you see other than debilitating DSC?

Last edited by sbuoncri; 10-19-2009 at 05:40 PM.
sbuoncri is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
XXRUSIANXX

My Ride: '04 330i
I can see one issue with idea 2. Sometimes even when you are pressing on the accelerator the ecu does not open the throttle(i.e, TC event, and there are others). Since your mechanical throttle would actually be open the ecu might interpret that as a vacuum leak or some other issue. Essentially resulting in a MIL and possibly drivability issues. The right way would be to rewrite the software, which I can't help you with. But good luck, I have always wondered if this is something worth doing.
XXRUSIANXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
The M52TU throttle body is smaller in diameter over a 330. So whatever gains you think you are going to get with a throttle cable, you will lose with less airflow into the engine. The ID and OD of the throttle body are smaller and that's why a M52TU engine has a smaller air boot and MAF. If you are going to do this to a 325, then you'll be fine.

The M52TU throttle body has a stepper motor in it and will over ride any throttle input you give it (this is how the ASC works on those cars). If you try to over ride this feature, the car will not run any faster than 3000 rpm. This is because this motor goes through a self check every time you start the car. If it fails, then the engine won't go past 3000 rpm.

Again, I don't know why anyone would want to eliminate the DBW. I have run a 330 in Koni challenge since 2002 and have had one throttle pedal ever go bad. Plus, nobody has ever complained about it being DBW. Other than that, the system has been more reliable than a throttle cable. The Z3 I ran broke about one throttle cable every two years of racing. Once the DSC is disabled, the car drives like it has a throttle cable.

The DME gets it's throttle position info from the throttle pedal. The DSC will ask for different torque limiting curves and the DME will apply them to the throttle body.

One other thing, the 330 has two different engine management systems. The MS43.0 and the MS45.1. If your car has a MS45.1, you'll need the complete engine harness, valve cover, MAF, coil packs and intake manifold temp sensor if you plan to backdate the car to a MS43.0 or MS42.0. Then, you'll need a car harness as the ASC and DSC systems are wired completely different and the ASC system uses inductive pickup sensors as compared to the hall unit sensors for the DSC. If you have a 1999 or 2000 325, then you already have ASC and your wiring problems have been simplified.

I have never tried to convert a 330 or 325 to a throttle cable but maybe there's an easier solution. It still looks like there's going to have to be come creative software solutions to make it work.

Last edited by mrshelley; 10-20-2009 at 10:55 AM.
mrshelley is offline   Reply With Quote