E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-21-2009, 01:05 AM   #1
TiAgTouring

My Ride: has a D-Pillar
Specifics about Seafoam DIY

So I've read a bunch of DIYs with Seafoam, and I am resolved to do it...just have a few questions.

Should I remove my pre-cat O2 sensors before hand? Have a lot of people had to replace 02 sensors after Seafoam?

I plan on replacing my oil and plugs after doing Seafoam, but I am wondering how many miles is correct. I am doing seafoam as part of a "tune-up" for a 1200 ride trip to NYC. Is that too long to wait for the oil chance and plugs? My current plugs are only at 10k miles.

Thanks!

323iT 5MT ZSP/ M54B30 Manifold Swap/ F1 Headers + Full ZHP Exhaust/ UUC SSK + DSSR
TiAgTouring is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-21-2009, 06:35 AM   #2
TiAgTouring

Anyone? Ive read a lot about Seafoam and can't get good answers on these questions...

323iT 5MT ZSP/ M54B30 Manifold Swap/ F1 Headers + Full ZHP Exhaust/ UUC SSK + DSSR
Old 10-21-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
From what I've read, the seafoam thins your oil out so you probably don't want to drive 1200 miles on it. Maybe 100 miles.

I've used Lubro Moly engine flush before my oil change and then added motor protect after. It seemed to work pretty well.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:17 AM   #4
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
In the back of the bottle it will tell you how many miles to drive before you do the flush...i think its a 100 miles...or something...a weeks worth of normal driving pretty much....I ran into a few problems after I used sea foam...02 sensors went bad...and they were kind of new....I felt no difference...I would not use sea foam ever again.
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:09 AM   #5
TiAgTouring

Okay thanks for the info...this is important. Anyone else have advice on this front?

Old 10-21-2009, 12:15 PM   #6
Drewfus2101

My Ride: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiAgTouring View Post
Should I remove my pre-cat O2 sensors before hand? Have a lot of people had to replace 02 sensors after Seafoam?

I plan on replacing my oil and plugs after doing Seafoam, but I am wondering how many miles is correct. I am doing seafoam as part of a "tune-up" for a 1200 ride trip to NYC. Is that too long to wait for the oil chance and plugs? My current plugs are only at 10k miles.
I'm pretty sure your car won't run at all without the O2 sensors to monitor the air/fuel ratio. So I'd leave them in. I think the O2 sensor problems are very rare.

I didn't have any O2 sensor problems, and I can't see how that is even possible.

Like was posted above, read the can. I poured some in the crankcase, then drove around for an hour or so (~50 miles) then did the oil change while the oil was hot (read: hot, not just warm), so hopefully that helped with some possible sludge.

I also didn't have any problems with sparkplugs after seafoam. Leave those in there, and if you have problems, change them out later.

And don't panic when your car is misfiring and blowing smoke all over the place. Just drive it some, then turn it off/on then drive some more. Go to an Advance / Autozone and have them clear the misfire codes once it seems to be driving fine.
Drewfus2101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
Hartman

My Ride: 2000 323i
You really only have to worry about your oil after this is if you put Seafoam IN your oil. In that case, try to change it within a couple hundred miles after. Also, Seafoam sometimes affects o2 sensors because of the carbon buildup that gets blown out of the engine, past the o2's, and out the exhaust (hence the smoke).
Old 10-21-2009, 03:52 PM   #8
elteegilbreath

My Ride: 04 325Ci
I've seafoamed both my Bimmers with no issues at all. My first one had a terribly rough idle and after seafoaming it was like brand new.

"Walking isn't a lost art - one must, by some means, get to the garage."
elteegilbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 11:00 PM   #9
TiAgTouring

I seafoamed my car last weekend and no issues! No CEL Light or anything. I DID NOT use deep creep.

Old 11-28-2009, 03:31 PM   #10
barcode148

My Ride: e46 328i/e90 335i
seafoamed two days ago. i didnt throw a cel light either (knock on wood). i have a perfectly smooth idle now.

Slowly maturing bmw...
barcode148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:18 PM   #11
TiAgTouring

Good! I have a lot smoother idle as well....but an issue has emerged since i seafoamed:

My MPG has gone down to about 22. This isn't crazy low or anything, but I usually get 25 in mixed driving. The fact that I only got 350 miles out of a tank makes me upset. This was the first tank after I seafoamed and changed my oil. Hopefully the next one will be better.

I am thinking the issue could be:
1) Spark Plugs
2) O2 sensors (although no codes were thrown?)

Anyone else have thoughts?

I am going to do my Valve Cover Gasket and VANOS within the month, so it should be interesting to see how that will effect my MPG.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:55 PM   #12
///mshu

My Ride: E34->E46->E28->E34!
any updates?

i'm also very curious as to the risks/benefits of Seafoam ...
'91 Schwartz 525i/5 ... DD
///mshu is offline   Reply With Quote