E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #1
RockerGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Timbuktu
Posts: 402
My Ride: Not a BMW
Wrecked my brakes

So yesterday I was doing my brakes. The temp was about 5*C. I think the screws were a bit stuck, I dont know if because of the cold or the thing has just seized from the rust.

So in a nutshell, I rounded the coupler on top where the ss lines connect w/ the metal lines and I can't get it out



Is there anything I can do to get it out??

Another problem is I broke one of the bleed nipple from the caliper (see B below)

Is there anything I could do to get it out or do I have to get another caliper?

I know I wrecked it pretty bad, I should have waited till spring. But I have a few cracks on my oem hoses and did not feel safe.

Let me know if anybody have experience w/ that.

Cheers

ps. I also tried heating the coupler to brake it loose but to no avail. I think I need to heat it red hot.

pss. I also used a flared wrench. That bugger was prob. stuck for good.
RockerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-18-2009, 02:24 PM   #2
vsyucla
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Diego
Posts: 28
My Ride: 3251
If your flared wrench still fits on it, then put a hollow pipe on the wrench to extend it. This will give you more torque.

Are you sure you are going the right direction?

If you already rounded it, and the wrenches slips, then use a locking vise grip.

Did you try PB Blaster on it yet?
vsyucla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
xi_ter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Edmonton, Canada
Posts: 2,221
My Ride: 2003 325xi
I changed the OEM lines to stainless Goodridge lines off ebay.uk this summer. For swap out, a thin profile ViperGrip needle nose plier like this worked best.

File the rounded nut flat, so you are able to remove the lines. I had no seized connectors.
The Bleeder valve caps are available in the brake section of Bavauto, so probably from the dealer as well.
__________________
xi_ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:33 PM   #4
RockerGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Timbuktu
Posts: 402
My Ride: Not a BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsyucla View Post
If your flared wrench still fits on it, then put a hollow pipe on the wrench to extend it. This will give you more torque.

Are you sure you are going the right direction?

If you already rounded it, and the wrenches slips, then use a locking vise grip.

Did you try PB Blaster on it yet?
Yes, I am sure I am going in the right direction. Tried a locking vise grip already, still nothing . Maybe its the cold seizing it up. I am beginning to lose hope.

What is PB blaster?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_ter View Post
I changed the OEM lines to stainless Goodridge lines off ebay.uk this summer. For swap out, a thin profile ViperGrip needle nose plier like this worked best.

File the rounded nut flat, so you are able to remove the lines. I had no seized connectors.
The Bleeder valve caps are available in the brake section of Bavauto, so probably from the dealer as well.
Yes, I was thinking long and hard this afternoon and figured that my next step will be to file it down flat and use a flat vise grip. Otherwise I might have to use ferrule connections



Something like that but I am not sure about those, have only encounter those once.

As for the caliper, part of the bleed needle is stuck into the caliper, so the problem is to get it out. Man, I am toast.

I have to do these fittings in the summer, another reason I hate working in the cold. Those nuts just seem to seize.

Let me know if u guys have any input
RockerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
325myAZ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Arizona
Posts: 716
My Ride: 2001 325i
Can you wait to change out the rounded nut until it warms up?

PB Blaster is a spray lubricant that really penetrates and helps loosen things up... I won't attack any screw, bolt or coupling until I've sprayed it with PB Blaster, and let it soak for a while. Here in the States you can find it at places like AutoZone... it has a yellow cap, and the writing on the can looks like something from the 1950's. If you can't find that, try using something like Liquid Wrench.

As far as your broken bleed nipple, you'll definitely want to soak/spray that with the penetrating lubricant and perhaps try removing it using an Easy-Out broken stud extractor. I think places like Sears and Lowes Home Improvement stores carry them. http://www.toolprice.com/category/screwextractors/

I'm not sure if all the bleed nipples are the same, but you might be inclined to get the replacement from BMW, so you don't have to worry about stripping or screwing up the caliper when you replace it.
325myAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 12:10 AM   #6
RockerGuy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Timbuktu
Posts: 402
My Ride: Not a BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325myAZ View Post
Can you wait to change out the rounded nut until it warms up?

PB Blaster is a spray lubricant that really penetrates and helps loosen things up... I won't attack any screw, bolt or coupling until I've sprayed it with PB Blaster, and let it soak for a while. Here in the States you can find it at places like AutoZone... it has a yellow cap, and the writing on the can looks like something from the 1950's. If you can't find that, try using something like Liquid Wrench.

As far as your broken bleed nipple, you'll definitely want to soak/spray that with the penetrating lubricant and perhaps try removing it using an Easy-Out broken stud extractor. I think places like Sears and Lowes Home Improvement stores carry them. http://www.toolprice.com/category/screwextractors/

I'm not sure if all the bleed nipples are the same, but you might be inclined to get the replacement from BMW, so you don't have to worry about stripping or screwing up the caliper when you replace it.
Thanks, that made a lot of sense.

I went to the mechanic today. He was quite busy so I just told him to help me break the nut lose and I will do the rest. He basically heat it w/ a acetylene torch to red hot, cool it w/ water (I dont know why, he said it breaks the oxides?), then he used 2 vise grips. It was much easier for him to work too cuz he had a hoist which elevated the car to his chest height so he could better position himself.

I will tackle it this weekend again cuz I need an extra person to bleed the brakes. I hope things work out well
RockerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use