E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld

Motorsports & Track Forum by BimmerWorld
From Auto-X to Trackday to Racing and Professional Motorsports – this is the place to discuss making BMWs fast
Sponsored by BimmerWorld

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2008, 04:48 PM   #1
ProchaineStation

My Ride: Metro, Bus, Bike
Send a message via MSN to ProchaineStation
Arrow Ever Wonder How The 2009 F1 Season Car's Will Look Like?

The AT&T Williams Formula 1 team became the first to shake down a car fitted with the 2009-specification aerodynamic package.

On Thursday November 13, team Williams became the first team to shake down a 2009-specification aerodynamic package at Gloucestershire's Kemble airfield.

With driving duties undertaken by Formula 3 driver, Jonathan Kennard, the test team ran an interim FW30 with front and rear wing assemblies compliant with 2009 regulations.

One of the major elements of the FIA's regulation changes for 2009 has called for a significant reduction in the use of aerodynamic devices in order to improve overtaking opportunities in the sport.
To meet the conditions of the new regulations, the front wing has been lowered and made wider, while the rear wing has undergone dramatic revisions and is now taller and narrower. Both changes have reduced the car's overall downforce levels.

Montreal, world transit & infrastructure enthusiast.
www.youtube.com/AntoDamicoShow
ProchaineStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:50 PM   #2
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
you are a f*cking post whoooooooooooore holy shlt
Old 11-14-2008, 05:21 PM   #3
Black107

My Ride: 2002 M3
Wow those wings are UUUUGLY
Old 11-14-2008, 05:37 PM   #4
ProchaineStation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
Wow those wings are UUUUGLY
lol yea, but its all about making the sport more fun

Old 11-14-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
Black107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwclubofquebec View Post
lol yea, but its all about making the sport more fun
Hell, I say take both wings off lol. Although I have to say this season was better than last in terms of overtaking. However I feel like a lot of the drivers today just call "diving to the inside of you right before the turn in and send you off almost into the gravel" a pass. Its probably a byproduct of a lot of these new tracks that are extremely narrow in some spots, and have little overtaking opportunities.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
oh2fly

My Ride: 2004 M3
Fat rear tires are back. Woohoo.
oh2fly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #7
ProchaineStation

now that the season is almost over what do you guys think?

Old 10-20-2009, 10:29 PM   #8
Black107

I think they better close the double diffuser loop hole, because once a lot of the teams went that direction, overtaking was severely reduced compared to the beginning of the season.

I think KERS needs to be all or none (I vote none).

Thank god those stupid STUPID brake spinner vents are being banned.

Hamilton is normal, not otherworldly as so many thought as they were swinging from his sack last year.

Kubica is overrated, I see him struggling if Renault is about as good as they were this year.

Button is severely overrated. Put Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton, etc in that car and they win almost every race.

Its about time Alonso got in the red car. Best driver (now that mikey's gone) + best car = bliss.

I hope Massa is himself again.

I hate the multiple tire compounds. Just make one available to the teams each weekend. Having all these different compounds + fuel strategies just muddles what cars are good...oh wait...

Bernie needs to die or retire. I cannot stand that man.

Here's to a successful inaugural season for Pete and his USF1 team.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:49 AM   #9
ProchaineStation

Quote:
I think they better close the double diffuser loop hole, because once a lot of the teams went that direction, overtaking was severely reduced compared to the beginning of the season.

I think KERS needs to be all or none (I vote none).

Thank god those stupid STUPID brake spinner vents are being banned.

Hamilton is normal, not otherworldly as so many thought as they were swinging from his sack last year.

Kubica is overrated, I see him struggling if Renault is about as good as they were this year.

Button is severely overrated. Put Vettel, Alonso, Hamilton, etc in that car and they win almost every race.

Its about time Alonso got in the red car. Best driver (now that mikey's gone) + best car = bliss.

I hope Massa is himself again.

I hate the multiple tire compounds. Just make one available to the teams each weekend. Having all these different compounds + fuel strategies just muddles what cars are good...oh wait...

Bernie needs to die or retire. I cannot stand that man.

Here's to a successful inaugural season for Pete and his USF1 team.
Bernie may only retire after montreal signs a 5 year contract with him

I see you're very into the sport.. thanks for sharing!

Old 10-21-2009, 10:56 AM   #10
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
All that work to create passing seems to be a total waste. I can't believe all those changes and the racing doesn't seem all that different from last year.

Why did they make the front wing so easy to damage (wider than the front tires) if they want passing? They should make it so a little tire rub doesn't knock off the end plates.

Why the hell are they going to no fueling next year? Does anyone else think that is going to make the cars more matched and hence less passing?

I honestly don't know where F1 is going but it doesn't seem like a good direction to me.

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
Black107

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post
All that work to create passing seems to be a total waste. I can't believe all those changes and the racing doesn't seem all that different from last year.

Why did they make the front wing so easy to damage (wider than the front tires) if they want passing? They should make it so a little tire rub doesn't knock off the end plates.

Why the hell are they going to no fueling next year? Does anyone else think that is going to make the cars more matched and hence less passing?

I honestly don't know where F1 is going but it doesn't seem like a good direction to me.

Tim
IMO, there was a lot of passing when JUST the Brawn/Toyota/Williams had the double diffusers. Only 6/22 were messing up the air behind them basically. I remember in Australia the passing was vastly improved over last year. Then everyone started researching and going that direction. By the end of the year, they were back to the divebombing tactics of '08 (Button, IMO, was ridiculous with his Turn 1 antics at Interlagos this year).

Like I said, close that loophole in the rulebooks, word it very clearly that that type of diffuser is illegal, and the cars will get closer again. With them on, the cars make the air still too dirty.
Old 10-21-2009, 12:47 PM   #12
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
I don't remember Australia that well but I know that as the development on the cars increased they've become closer in times (entire field within 1 sec for qualifying), but not any easier to pass. Don't know why they allowed the double diffuser if it screwed up the passing.

Tim
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 12:48 PM   #13
ProchaineStation

Thanks for sharing Tim, you're right.

gonna be interesting to see which rules will be put in order this winter

Old 10-22-2009, 12:09 AM   #14
Allure
Banned

My Ride: Is Slower Than Yours
This season sucked very much. The other thing I hate is that the Drivers are now too scared to do risky moves because of the stupid penalties, it's a racing sport, people are going to get hurt, deal with it.
The no refueling rule might be a good idea, since all the passes are going on in the pits, which make everything confusing. Will they be able to change tires during the race?
Allure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 02:10 AM   #15
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by tim330i View Post

Tim
I think the fueling thing is both safety related, and cost related. The fuel rigs aren't cheap.

If you can find it, there is a very dramatic video of Verstappen pitting in his Benneton where there's a fuel fire. After watching the video just once, I asked "do they really have to refuel the cars?".

Having the cars fueled for an entire race will be a huge technical/engineering challenge, but I see a real world benefit in the outcome: Incredible innovation with regard to fuel economy.

The manufacturers will definitely seize the oportunity in trickle-down effect....
PEI330Ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 04:42 AM   #16
ProchaineStation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allure View Post
This season sucked very much. The other thing I hate is that the Drivers are now too scared to do risky moves because of the stupid penalties, it's a racing sport, people are going to get hurt, deal with it.
The no refueling rule might be a good idea, since all the passes are going on in the pits, which make everything confusing. Will they be able to change tires during the race?
duh, unless he magicians at bridgestone can invent a tire that can handle an 800+ horsepower car with 5g's of cornering 2.x seconds of accleration through the rain and heat and endure 2 hours of that while never ever graining!!!!!

im jking with you

Last edited by ProchaineStation; 10-22-2009 at 04:46 AM.
Old 10-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #17
Black107

Quote:
Originally Posted by pei330ci View Post
I think the fueling thing is both safety related, and cost related. The fuel rigs aren't cheap.

If you can find it, there is a very dramatic video of Verstappen pitting in his Benneton where there's a fuel fire. After watching the video just once, I asked "do they really have to refuel the cars?".

Having the cars fueled for an entire race will be a huge technical/engineering challenge, but I see a real world benefit in the outcome: Incredible innovation with regard to fuel economy.

The manufacturers will definitely seize the oportunity in trickle-down effect....
They could alleviate 90% of the fires if they relocated either the fuel filler hole or the exhaust. In nascar they never have fires because the guy is filling the fuel on the left rear corner and the exhaust comes out the middle of the right side of the car.
Old 10-23-2009, 01:16 AM   #18
Allure
Banned

My Ride: Is Slower Than Yours
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWfanfromQuebec View Post
duh, unless he magicians at bridgestone can invent a tire that can handle an 800+ horsepower car with 5g's of cornering 2.x seconds of accleration through the rain and heat and endure 2 hours of that while never ever graining!!!!!

im jking with you
Of course they can, but it wouldn't be as grippy as normal F1 tires.
Allure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 03:11 AM   #19
ProchaineStation

its official, all fota teams will ignore the kers section of the technical rule book,

so its allowed but they agreed not to use it.

BTW, is williams and force india back in fota yet?

Old 10-23-2009, 05:32 AM   #20
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
They could alleviate 90% of the fires if they relocated either the fuel filler hole or the exhaust. In nascar they never have fires because the guy is filling the fuel on the left rear corner and the exhaust comes out the middle of the right side of the car.
NASCAR has done some nice things with regard to safety, and that is one of them.

Moving the exhaust and fuel locations around on an F1 car isn't that easy, as it's a pretty small chassis. Secondly F1 fuelling rigs are a pressure feed system versus the gravity feed system used in NASCAR.

The NASCAR fuel cell has a 3" inlet, and a vent valve to let air out as the fuel enters.

The F1 fuel cell has a sophisticated refuel hose with both inner and outer sections. Fuel is pumped under pressure into the fuel cell through the center section, and air is sucked out through the outer section at the same time with a vacuum vapor recovery system.

Both achieve similar fuel flow rates of approximately 12L per second.

Another thing to remember is that the brake temps often exceed the exhaust temps when in the pits.
PEI330Ci is online now   Reply With Quote