E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-24-2009, 12:55 PM   #1
qilfu

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Attempting to change brakes - some issues

Hi there,
I just bought the Turnermotorsports standard brake kit for my 330CI. I'm facing some issues. I changed the rear brake pads and rotor without issues. Now I'm trying to change the front one, and it seems that either the rotor is too thick or the brake pads are too thick as I can't get the caliper / brakepad assembly back on over the rotor to bolt on.

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm a novice and this is my first attempt at ever changing brakes.

Any help would be much appreciated.

A

qilfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-24-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
BodyMan

My Ride: 2002 325i
Did you push the piston all the way back into the caliper?
BodyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:36 PM   #3
e4sixxx

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyMan View Post

x2
e4sixxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
330xiKen

My Ride: 2004 330xi
You can pick up a pad splitter at your auto parts store. When I did mine I tried a few different things to get that piston back in place...takes about 30 seconds with that little $5 tool!
330xiKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
Quote:
Originally Posted by BodyMan View Post
+1

Basicall, under your hood, open the brake fluid resivior cap.

Make sure the fluid isn't at the very top and will spill over.

Using a C Clamp or something like that, with the old back pad in place, press the pad in with the clamp, which in turn pushes the caliper piston back into the caliper. This will cause the brake fluid level in the resivior to rise, so be careful and have someone keep an eye one it for you. Once you have pressed the piston all the way back in, put the new pads in place and you should be able to put the whole assembly back in place.

Just remember to be careful when you start to drive the car for the first time because the pedal will go all the way to the floor and you'll feel like you have no brakes until they have been pumped a few times.
Old 10-24-2009, 03:21 PM   #6
Cliff.Claven

My Ride: 2003 325i
Send a message via AIM to Cliff.Claven Send a message via MSN to Cliff.Claven Send a message via Yahoo to Cliff.Claven
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKC View Post
+1

Basicall, under your hood, open the brake fluid resivior cap.

Make sure the fluid isn't at the very top and will spill over.

Using a C Clamp or something like that, with the old back pad in place, press the pad in with the clamp, which in turn pushes the caliper piston back into the caliper. This will cause the brake fluid level in the resivior to rise, so be careful and have someone keep an eye one it for you. Once you have pressed the piston all the way back in, put the new pads in place and you should be able to put the whole assembly back in place.

Just remember to be careful when you start to drive the car for the first time because the pedal will go all the way to the floor and you'll feel like you have no brakes until they have been pumped a few times.
Let me add to this and make a suggestion. Get yourself the proper tool to push the brake caliper piston back into the caliper. A C-clamp will work but you have to be absolutely sure that you don't push it in side ways. I'm not saying it will definitely happen, but it's possible the piston doesn't go in straight which can lead to irregular pad and rotor wear. It's rare this happen, but entirely possible.

Since you are doing this service yourself, which isn't hard for anyone who has a mechanical brain, you'll find the proper tool much easier...let me find a picture of one....

Here you go this is what I have. Basically it pushes the piston into the caliper at the right angle. It works similar to a C-clamp and is easy to use. The one pictures goes as a "Master" set but you could easily get away with a smaller kit. Do a Google search for "Brake Caliper Piston Tool" or "Brake Caliper Set" you should to where you're going.
Cliff.Claven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 03:38 PM   #7
qilfu

Thanks for the replies. I'm pretty sure I did push the caliper back in, let me put the old pads in and try to push it in further.

It just seems that the pads combined with the rotor aren't going to fit.

Will update in once i give it a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff.Claven View Post
Let me add to this and make a suggestion. Get yourself the proper tool to push the brake caliper piston back into the caliper. A C-clamp will work but you have to be absolutely sure that you don't push it in side ways. I'm not saying it will definitely happen, but it's possible the piston doesn't go in straight which can lead to irregular pad and rotor wear. It's rare this happen, but entirely possible.

Since you are doing this service yourself, which isn't hard for anyone who has a mechanical brain, you'll find the proper tool much easier...let me find a picture of one....

Here you go this is what I have. Basically it pushes the piston into the caliper at the right angle. It works similar to a C-clamp and is easy to use. The one pictures goes as a "Master" set but you could easily get away with a smaller kit. Do a Google search for "Brake Caliper Piston Tool" or "Brake Caliper Set" you should to where you're going.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:57 PM   #8
sammk

My Ride: Bone-stock E92
There's another (and better?) way to do this. Basically, before you get the caliper off the car, with the rotor still present, you can push the piston in very easily. The C-clamp needs to be aligned in a certain way and it's quite easy to move the piston thereon.

What he says ---> http://m3.madrussian.net/diy_front_brake_pads.shtml (Step 6)
sammk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:02 PM   #9
330xiKen

My Ride: 2004 330xi
Seriously...put your pads in the caliper and spread them with this tool....it resets the piston and costs $6. I called it a "pad splitter"...meant "pad spreader"

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6091_200396091
330xiKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 03:27 PM   #10
qilfu

Guys thanks for all your help. I was able to use a simple c clamp and get it taken care of. looks like the issue was that the piston wasn't fully compressed.

Thanks again!

I just took it out for a spin, took a few miles to get the brakes settled.

One more question - so the brake light is on now - any ideas how to turn it off? I reset the system with an OBDII but no dice.

Old 10-25-2009, 06:55 PM   #11
TKC

My Ride: 330cic & R6
Send a message via AIM to TKC
Was the brake light on before you changed the pads? If so, it means you tripped the break pad wear sensor. There is one in the front and one in the rear.

Whichever one was tripped, you have to replace it.

In the future, if you change your pads before that sensor trips, you can re-use the sensor without replacing it.

IF you DID replace the sensor, just turn the key to position 2 and wait like 2-5 minutes and the light will turn off.

Tags
brakes, help needed, pads, rotors