E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 48 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-30-2009, 10:16 PM   #21
Indy330i

My Ride: 2002 330i
dip stick guide tube

I am having the cold weather oil separator replacement done on my 2002 330i. The shop looked up the kit components and it called for replacing the dipstick guide tube. The tube cost was $350.00. Why would that need replacing. Does the new oil separator and additional pieces not match up with the existing guide tube. I am having a shop do the work, and they too were surprised. I am going to have them compare the existing one to the new one before installing it. Any thoughts?
Indy330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 10:22 PM   #22
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
The complete kit of parts from Tischer costs $150 free shipping, I wouldn't probably buy a bunch of stuff not on that kit...
Old 11-02-2009, 05:21 PM   #23
spennI

My Ride: 2004 330i
Excuse my naiveté` but what does this DIY solve?
spennI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:37 PM   #24
mchase

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy330i View Post
I am having the cold weather oil separator replacement done on my 2002 330i. The shop looked up the kit components and it called for replacing the dipstick guide tube. The tube cost was $350.00. Why would that need replacing. Does the new oil separator and additional pieces not match up with the existing guide tube. I am having a shop do the work, and they too were surprised. I am going to have them compare the existing one to the new one before installing it. Any thoughts?
The "old" dipstick tube has a thin crescent shaped chamber inside where the oil separator line connects that tends to plug up. However I've never had a problem and I replaced everything other than the dipstick tube when I saw the $350 price tag! If you want you can modify the original tube by cutting out the crescent or drilling a new hole, I didnt bother.
mchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:39 PM   #25
mchase

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by spennI View Post
Excuse my naiveté` but what does this DIY solve?
For me it was two things: Upgrade to the cold-weather crankcase ventilation system and fix an oil leak that was caused by the worn valve/hoses.
mchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:04 PM   #26
curlesw

My Ride: 01 325i
Nicker, a huge thank-you for taking the time and posting this! I just completed replacing the oil separator (and a few misc hoses) and your step-by-step guide was spot on, thanks so much.

For those considering this tasks, know that you can do it. Take your time, follow the process, take pictures and label things if you need to. Also, be patient, there are some tight spots and some of the connectors will be difficult to remove. But with patience and perseverance, you can do it...there's nothing too difficult.

Wayne C
01 325i
curlesw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:18 PM   #27
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
Yes, thanks Nicker--I am currently in the process of attempting this. I wondered whether I should attempt taking off the intake manifold, but I guess I really do not have to since I do not want to deal with what I read about the fuel mess.
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:53 PM   #28
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
I'm trying to remove the heat shield and the hose elbow that is connected from the jet sucker to the brake booster is in the way. Anyone know how to remove these retarded pinch clamps? I don't know why BMW went cheap with these--half pinch clamps and half premium worm clamps...what gives BMW?

edit: got them off--just had to bend that little hook that goes into the middle of the ring. I just wonder what kind of tool really removes and puts on these things. I would like to see it--does anyone have a picture? Surely these things cannot be such a PITA to put on or take off.

Last edited by genuity; 01-02-2010 at 11:35 PM.
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:27 AM   #29
Jase007

My Ride: E30, E39, 911, K1500
Nice writeup.

Just did this on my E39 (2000 528iT 5M Sport) with M52TU motor. Original lasted 10 years and 180K miles.

If your E39 is leaking oil from the oil filter housing (6 bolts, attaches to side of block), removing this makes access to everything under the manifold much easier.

Oil filter housing on, alternator removed and PS pump dropped, airbox and MAF / rubber boots removed:

Oil filter housing removed:

Cheers,
Jase007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:25 AM   #30
Rasta

My Ride: 325ci
Great DIY I took mine off yesterday, and there was ice in it.

Hopefully I get the parts this weekend and get the car back up and running
Rasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:08 PM   #31
Hrvat

My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
I've been doing this for last couple days. It's very cold here so I am taking my time.

After spending hours trying to connect VC Vent hose to CCV, I finally got it hooked up. I then got throttle body/icv back on and finally I am having a hell of a time getting the oil dipstick tube back on. I've tried first putting the o-ring on the tube, but I just cant get it to seat in fully. I then tried carefully installing the o-ring into the oil pan hole but then dipstick tube just won't go in

Could anyone provide some feedback?

Thanks

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoah View Post
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #32
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
wow.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #33
pudermcgavin

My Ride: 02 325i
thanks for your dedication to the info

i cant thank you enough for the info and foto's of how to replace the ccv if it wasnt for them i would have spent all day trying to remove stuff (didnt even know the heat shield came off around the brake booster ) made it so much easier got the ccv in and installed and everything put back together now im just waiting on a car so i can pick up some rtv and, parts and throttle cleaner so i can finish putting the vc back on and start it up looking good and thanks again
pudermcgavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 05:36 PM   #34
franz

My Ride: 03 330i
I did this job also today and wanted to give thanks. It was so much easier than it looked, with the right tools of course. I spent 5 hours but that included replacing the steering u-joint which is also way back in there, that took about an hour of the time. I am a bit perplexed why Tischer put vacuum hose in the kit, I didn't use it. It was also good to get another look at that lower intake boot, I had replaced it a couple years ago so I didn't buy one and it was in good shape still. I hope that my DISA will not get so oily now, not sure why that's kind of messy around there in the intake, tried to clean inside there but you can only get so far.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:27 PM   #35
me6067

My Ride: 2002 325I sedan
I followed these instructions a couple of weekends ago and the job was a breeze... Just need patience and time and nimble hands, thanks for the great write up!
me6067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:38 AM   #36
gsbmw

My Ride: 2000 323i
Unless you know you definitely have a bad oil separator (perhaps complete with Chewbacca noises), you may simply have the commonly broken lower oil separator vent hose. You can see the broken hose rather easily with a light by just taking off the air filter box and the MAF and looking under the front side of the electrical junction box under the intake manifold. It's a $10 part and easy to remove and replace by hand; no tools needed. Just reach in and replace it. Some pictures to help you look in the right spot can be found here:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=773551

It just might save you a lot of time and trouble. It worked for me and got rid of a slew of codes all at once including my rough idle and SES light.

Last edited by gsbmw; 06-23-2010 at 05:50 AM.
gsbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #37
SB22

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Is it worth getting the cold weather items if my car isn't going to see very extreme cold weather? I live in CA and will never be driving in snow or any conditions of that nature, but the cold weather items are only a few dollars more than the regular parts. Should I get the cold weather versions anyway?

Thanks,
Sam
Old 07-14-2010, 02:30 PM   #38
mtmactom

My Ride: 2001 330i
I hear the cold weather version is more difficult to put on, I live in the Northeast, and plan on doing mine this summer, with the normal kit, not the cold weather one.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:42 PM   #39
miyata

My Ride: 2005 330 XI
Great, did ICV and DISA this morning. No oil leaking, so don't bother the oil seperator.
miyata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:05 PM   #40
newtuner

My Ride: '04 330CI, M package
I'm in the middle of doing this and having some issues. I got everything out, but when it comes to attaching the connecting hose (has the 90 degree bend in it) how do you get it to snap in place? it's the one that needs to do the 1/4 turn to lock in, the issues is there is no room to have the hose turn that much. Any help would be great thanks guys.
newtuner is offline   Reply With Quote