E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-08-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
frankymofe

My Ride: 2000 323i
misfire and confusion...

i am having a misfire in cylinder 6 after i replaced my exhaust manifold gaskets on my 2000 323i. what i am confused about is i labeled the o2 sensors and put them back in the right bungs, torqued everything down to spec, and now my SES light is on and im misfiring. i took it to autozone...yea i know...and had them pull codes up,

cylinder 6 misfire
ignition system fault-probable cause..
-plugged or faulty fuel injector
-vacuum leak
-engine mechanical condition.

i honestly dont think i messed up my o2 sensors, and after reading up on the forums, all i could possibly think is a vacuum leak..but i never touched anything that could deal with vacuum leaks.. the only hose i d/c was the one for the evap pump or w/e. other than that, im stumped...

i never had a SES light before this problem...
any ideas, suggestions, questions... thanks
frankymofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-09-2009, 11:25 PM   #2
frankymofe

im guessing everyone is as stumped as i...
Old 10-10-2009, 07:12 AM   #3
Hartman

Can you give us the actual codes.
Old 10-11-2009, 06:57 PM   #4
frankymofe

i will try to get the actual codes this week coming up sometime, since it is a "holiday weekend" n most shops wont be open on monday.

one other thing i did notice tho when i am driving the car..when i first start driving and its cold, everything runs fine. no misfiring or rough idling or anything. BUT, once im up to operating temperature and its warmed up, thats when the engine starts its misfiring...

like i said, ill try to get the actual codes this week, hopefully the only shop here in killeen wont charge me buttloads just to pull the codes...but i know they will..

again, if anyone has an idea on what this could be, please feel free to give me any input. thanks
Old 10-21-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
frankymofe

amazing...drove it to a dealership like 30 miles away...hooked it up n deleted all the codes. now everything runs fine. its been a few days now and i havent had SES light come back on or anything...how im happy but still confused, oh well
Old 10-22-2009, 08:18 AM   #6
Hartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankymofe View Post
amazing...drove it to a dealership like 30 miles away...hooked it up n deleted all the codes. now everything runs fine. its been a few days now and i havent had SES light come back on or anything...how im happy but still confused, oh well
Don't want to rain on your parade, but I had a SES light that shut itself off for about 3 weeks, then came back.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
frankymofe

i also found out i had some moisture inside my coil boots and in the spark plug areas of cylinder 5 and 6....dried everything up and cleaned it all...runnin like a champ again
Old 11-02-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
tha ridla

My Ride: '03 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankymofe View Post
i also found out i had some moisture inside my coil boots and in the spark plug areas of cylinder 5 and 6....dried everything up and cleaned it all...runnin like a champ again
What did you use to dry everything up? Are you still code free?
Old 11-02-2009, 07:20 PM   #9
frankymofe

yep still code free...used electrical cleaner. CRC for the inside of the boots and used a towel to get any lil bit that was down inside
havent had a problem since..