E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2002, 02:07 PM   #1
Richard

My Ride: 2000 323i
is a Step a really big disadvantage in autox enven if your in 2 gear most of the time

/
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-03-2002, 03:24 PM   #2
e46boy
call me kev :D

My Ride: '08 Lexus GS460
Send a message via AIM to e46boy
hmm.. what are you talking about, step has advantages in autox...
my friend that went and saw a whole bunch of step owner have better time than the stick owner, mainly because they leave it in second gear and just concentrate on driving.. while the manual owner have to shift...

makes sense to me...

Bye bye E46, hello new car :D
e46boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 03:43 PM   #3
Shinobi
Addicted to Autocross

My Ride: 2001 Jet Black 330Ci
I Don't Know, What Do You Think?

Yea, it can be, depending on the course design. You have to know your car and adjust accordingly. There are times where you can drop to 1st in really tight turns. A manual is definitely better, but as you can see, it is possible to have success with an automatic.

******** src="http://shinobi.bmw330ci.com/Awards/" frameborder="0" width="800" height="1000">*********>

Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 06:16 PM   #4
e46craze
Euro.Techniks

My Ride: ESS TS2 ZHP
Send a message via AIM to e46craze
step

you tell em shinobi....i mean yeah I have a step and driving in 2nd is good enough for me....not that I stay in that gear all the time...

But yes it can be done.....suprisingly but everyone can see the results...from the above awards...good job

hahahahaha
e46craze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2002, 08:34 PM   #5
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks
UUC Motorwerks, *******

My Ride: 7s, M5s, M3s, others
This is a little bit of wisdom that if you understand it, everything you do with your car will bet 10X better:

It's not the car. It's the driver.

All things being equal, if you were using the exact same driver and the cars were identical, then manual has an advantage.

However, all things are rarely equal. Take two guys, put them in identical cars, and you will often see a bigger difference in times than you would between a stick and auto with the same driver.

What is the most important part of your car to upgrade? The nut behind the wheel.

Once you are a better driver (and "beating" your car and cutting in and out of traffic just makes a person a ****head, not a good driver), then all the performance mods you have invested in really start to return huge dividends.

- Rob

BIG BRAKE KIT HEADQUARTERS!

ALL CURRENT UUC SPECIALS:
-[ CLICK HERE ]
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 01:42 AM   #6
Jspeed

My Ride: '01 330i
At least for the 330, there would be a disadvantage for Step just for the gear ratio alone. A manual 330 goes up to 62 mph while the Step goes to about 67 mph. That's a difference of 8%, similar to the difference between people who have the stock 2.93 rear-end and the modified 3.15 for the manual 330.

BTW, Rob, what do you think about the torque-multiplication property of the Step at low rpm? I wonder if that makes up for much in an auto-x.

Last edited by Jspeed; 07-04-2002 at 01:44 AM.
Jspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2002, 11:33 AM   #7
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks
UUC Motorwerks, *******

My Ride: 7s, M5s, M3s, others
Quote:
Originally posted by Jspeed
BTW, Rob, what do you think about the torque-multiplication property of the Step at low rpm? I wonder if that makes up for much in an auto-x.
Thr torque multiplaction properties of a hydraulic torque converter are probably of minimal benefit. The only time where there is a slight edge is the brief period from stopped to converter lockup. If you can auto-x even halfway decently, there is only one time where you should be stopped.

And, on further reflection, some auto-x timing is with a "rolling start" which negates that distinction altogether.

But no matter what car you have - get out there and put the car and yourself in a skill-learning environment! Getting to a road course is an expensive and often difficult proposition, but there is always an auto-x happening near you, ually no more than $20 you can have a great day.

- Rob

BIG BRAKE KIT HEADQUARTERS!

ALL CURRENT UUC SPECIALS:
-[ CLICK HERE ]
Rob Levinson * UUC Motorwerks is offline   Reply With Quote