E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 3.93 average. Display Modes
Old 11-05-2009, 03:54 PM   #21
neil1138

Mitch, if you look at the 5 speed conversion link in my sig, I have references to all the diys you will need. You only need 2 locking pins, one is for 5th gear and the other is for reverse. And the sealing caps are included in the kit. Part numbers are given for both, enjoy my friend.

I'll edit the op soon and include diagrams and descriptions. Thank you swinny
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:01 PM   #22
MileHiXi
Banned

My Ride: '02 330xi

www.realoem.com

Last edited by MileHiXi; 11-05-2009 at 04:27 PM.
MileHiXi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #23
neil1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileHiXi View Post
class of 09

Some people don't know how to use etk smart one

that was the point of this thread

EDIT: Went back and added pics, I will finish later
Old 11-05-2009, 07:39 PM   #24
MitchSF

My Ride: 11 M3 DCT
Send a message via Skype™ to MitchSF
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil1138 View Post
Mitch, if you look at the 5 speed conversion link in my sig, I have references to all the diys you will need. You only need 2 locking pins, one is for 5th gear and the other is for reverse. And the sealing caps are included in the kit. Part numbers are given for both, enjoy my friend.

I'll edit the op soon and include diagrams and descriptions. Thank you swinny
I see, thanks, Neil. Again, great work, much appreciated!

Mitch
MitchSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:52 PM   #25
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:

-Special thanks to Matt for helping me compile a list
Good list.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:54 PM   #26
BMW_Matt

My Ride: Has AWD
Quote:
Most people don't know how to use ETK so he decided to compile a list for the most common gone-wrong sht and the easy part numbers.
BMW_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 06:32 AM   #27
bmwbun
Banned

My Ride: Pre-facelift Coupe
This appears to be a partial list of parts for one particular year and model, a 2000 Coupe.

It is important to remember that many of the part numbers listed here are going to be different for your particular car.

Also, the prices listed here are reference prices only and often don't reflect market place reality.

For example, OE oil filters can be purchased for less than $6 versus the $14 price listed here.

Some of the fluids information is too vague and can be misleading and expresses a bias toward particular aftermarket products rather than expressing BMW OE requirements.

The full list of parts for all years and models is here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw

And this link is particularly useful too:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/cata...46_catalog.htm

bmwbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:03 AM   #28
968turboS

My Ride: A few different cars
Excellent job there!
My only issue is same as what bmwbun posted:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwbun View Post
Some of the fluids information is too vague and can be misleading and expresses a bias toward particular aftermarket products rather than expressing BMW OE requirements.
Your fluid recommendations are not factory fills. If you do want to stick to oem parts, my suggestion would be to post oem replacement fluids only.

Regards.
Raj
968turboS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:17 AM   #29
bmwbun
Banned

Common maintenance maintenance parts lists should include windshield wiper insert part numbers.

Last edited by bmwbun; 11-06-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:18 AM   #30
968turboS

My Ride: A few different cars
Quote:
and I full understand you Raj, but to the same accord, those are not my favorites, those fluids seem to be the preferred on the forum and nobody buys BMW LT fluid anyway, they always complain about the price. And this list isn't really about fluids...
No problems with that Neil. I appreciate everything you have done for the forum.
Regards.
Raj
968turboS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:20 AM   #31
02alpinebimmer

My Ride: Not a BMW:(
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOF View Post
Holy ****

I can read/reset engine codes. (87 and up)
PM ME

-Steve OK-
02alpinebimmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 09:22 AM   #32
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Great job Neil. You just posted up ETK in a thread.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:25 AM   #33
neil1138

Quote:
Common maintenance maintenance parts lists should include windshield wiper insert part numbers.

and not brake pedals? I like your edit, thanks for telling me something to add in, that is what I want. But continuing to pollute a genuinely good and useful thread would not be in your best interest, that is all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 968turboS View Post
No problems with that Neil. I appreciate everything you have done for the forum.
Regards.
Raj
thank you! nonetheless, I will include OEM fill per your request

Last edited by neil1138; 11-06-2009 at 09:29 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:32 AM   #34
Chris-TK

I keed, I love you Neil.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:37 AM   #35
neil1138

I know
Old 11-06-2009, 09:39 AM   #36
MileHiXi
Banned

Quote:
I have paid careful attention to where models matter and have indicated as such.

The very first item on your list doesn't match the part number for my car and there is no indication in your thread indicating that such is the case.

fail.

Last edited by MileHiXi; 11-06-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:40 AM   #37
Chris-TK

Quote:
The very first item on your list doesn't match the part number for my car and there is no indication in your thread indicating that such is the case.

fail.

Xi's don't count....it's kind of like the 3/5ths Clause if you know your history.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #38
bmwbun
Banned

Quote:
I know this list is not complete so please respond below with suggestions on which parts to include.

A few more items:

Screws for mounting rotors to hub. I think it is best practice to replace these screws when replacing the rotor (1 per rotor).

Washer on the engine block coolant drain screw. It should be replaced each time the block is drained.

The Bentley Manual covering the 2000 Coupe being primarily discussed here instructs that anti-sieze containing copper be applied to spark plug threads. The original spark plugs had this type of compound applied at the factory as well. I would include this item in the list.

Similarly, silicone grease for caliper pins.

OE tire specifications.

OE battery specifications.

Under fluids, you talk about tranny fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid etc. but you left out motor oil.

Washers for the differential drain and fill screws.

Personally I'd include Castrol SAF-XO as a differential fluid since it was the factory fill on your 2000 Coupe.

You included the oil drain plug but not the washer. For those still doing oil changes using the oil pan drain bolt, it is best practice to replace the washer each time.

Include auto trans filter kits (GM, ZF),

O-rings for the intake and exhaust camshaft position sensors. Best practice is to install new ones when replacing faulty sensors.

Double check inclusion of all related cooling system parts especially related to expansion tank replacement. You're missing some critical leak path items that should be addressed.

Also,

Your section on transmission fluids still needs some help.

Some GM transmissions used by BMW had Dexron III in them however none of those transmissions containing Dexron III were installed in E46 vehicles.

The Texaco fluid you list as 7045 was upgraded to 7045E for use in BMW vehicles.

You don't appear to have any mention of Texaco fluid ETL 8072 B that was used in both Xi and non-Xi E46 vehicles with automatic transmissions.

Here is a link to the relevant BMW document SI B 24 01 98 that lists transmission and respective fluids by vehicle platform, and by model year:

http://tech.bentleypublishers.com/se...TFCapacity.pdf.

Here is a table from the BMW document covering GM transmissions and fluids for the E46:

Here is a table from the BMW document covering ZF transmissions and fluids for the E46:

I hope fellow Fanatics find this helpful

Last edited by bmwbun; 11-07-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:30 PM   #39
MileHiXi
Banned

Quote:
As you have done nothing for this site, what you say carries no clout thus no one cares.
If by "you have done nothing for this site" you mean that I haven't posted any misleading theads such as this, yer right.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:34 PM   #40
neil1138

Quote:
A few more items:

Screws for mounting rotors to hub. I think it is best practice to replace these screws when replacing the rotor (1 per rotor).

Washer on the engine block coolant drain screw. It should be replaced each time the block is drained.

The Bentley Manual covering the 2000 Coupe being primarily discussed here instructs that anti-sieze containing copper be applied to spark plug threads. The original spark plugs had this type of compound applied at the factory as well. I would include this item in the list.

Similarly, silicone grease for caliper pins.

OE tire specifications.

OE battery specifications.

Under fluids, you talk about tranny fluid, brake fluid, power steering fluid etc. but you left out motor oil.

Washers for the differential drain and fill screws.

Personally I'd include Castrol SAF-XO as a differential fluid since it was the factory fill on your 2000 Coupe.

You included the oil drain plug but not the washer. For those still doing oil changes using the oil pan drain bolt, it is best practice to replace the washer each time.

alrighty, actually went through and just have a few comments.

the bolts for mounting the rotor to the hub is a good practice so I included those fo sho

i included the block drain plug washer even though it really isnt a common item to replace. It's all in good practice though, thank you for reminding me.

spark plug anti seize yeahhhh, according to my friend sitting right next to me (works at the bmw dealer parts counter) they dont even sell it. Same as the silicone grease for the caliper pins. It's best to just buy that stuff at autozone. But you are right about using it, I'll make mention of it but I dont have the part numbers

There is no way I am covering motor oil, lulz. People can search for that one. But I did change the fluid listings and included oem listings

Quote:
... Auto trans filter kits (GM, ZF),

O-rings for the intake and exhaust camshaft position sensors. Best practice is to install new ones when replacing faulty sensors.

Double check inclusion of all related cooling system parts especially related to expansion tank replacement. You're missing some.

done, thanks!

Tags
bushings, check list, control arms, maintenance, official, part, part number