E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-14-2009, 02:15 AM   #1
KEENO53

My Ride: 2001 E46 316I SE
Question Coolant leak woes.

Hi all, i have just suffered the ubiquitous expansion tank failure at 65K miles. i replaced this and the lower section of the tank aswell and thought id got to the bottom of this. Now after some running when the system comes up to pressure and temperature im getting a small leak from the joint between the top radiator hose and connector on the radiator. There are two hoses at the top of the expansion tank, the small one goes into the top of the tank itself and the larger one into the top of the radiator.

Could this simply be cured by replacing an O-ring in the hose connector or am i going to have to replace the hose complete or is this likely to be the plastic connector that mates to the hose on the radiator? any info much appreciated..

the expansion tank system on the e46 is
my car is a 2001 E46 316SE (M43TU-B19 engine)
thanks in advance.Click image for larger version

Name:	k's bootbuild.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	13.3 KB
ID:	323237
KEENO53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:55 AM   #2
kent330i

My Ride: 2005 330i ZHP
Send a message via AIM to kent330i
Did you replace the top hose at the same time or you just re-use the old hose with the new tank?
Old 07-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
KEENO53

HI and thanks for the reply, no i havent yet replaced the hose, i re used the existing ones. On my engine, there are two hoses next to the top of the expansion tank, the smaller one goes into the top of the tank itself and the second larger one (that has started leaking) goes into the top of the radiator and isnt connected to the expansion tank. Its slightly odd as this wasnt leaking before i changed the tank parts and ive never removed it, but all of a sudden its started leaking here. is there an O ring kit available for the coolant hoses connectors? when you pump the top hose that goes from the engine block to the top of the radiator i can hear an air leak.

i cant unfortunately check this post again til tomorrow morning but any replies much appreciated, thanks.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:55 AM   #4
KEENO53

hi all, i got to the bottom of this last night, after a catastrophic failure and a cloud of steam emminating from under the bonnet

fault traced to a broken and cracked O ring inside the connector to the top radiator hose. Typically this was unavailable as a spare on its own from BMW so had to purchase the entire top hose.

back to happy motoring lets hope!
cheers.
Old 08-05-2009, 05:36 PM   #5
pgillpro

My Ride: 99 323i 5 speed
Hi,
It sounds like I have a similar problem to you, I have a 99 e46 four door and replaced my coolant expansion tank and then about a month later noticed there was some sort of leak near where the tank connects to the top of the radiator, I could see antifreeze residue from where all over that area from where it's leaking. do you know the part number of the replacement part you bought?
thanks!
pgillpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:27 PM   #6
Highrad

My Ride: 1999 328i BMW
Same problem now. What was the solution?
Highrad is offline   Reply With Quote