E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-04-2009, 03:20 AM   #1
y try

My Ride: Black 5spd 328CI
Engine Idle Cold Start issue

Hey guys,
for a couple months now my engine has been acting up when i first start it up cold in the morning... It makes a whining noise for a little while but goes away after it warms up (usually around 5 mins driving around) It also has the problem of bouncing in RPMs from around 1000 - 500 and then back up... I have read that this could be caused by a dirty ICV idle control valve but i took it apart and cleaned it with no results... I change my oil every 3000 miles and just did it recently and also changed my spark plugs and fuel filters and other little things... My car is a 2000 328ci with around 62,000 miles oin it and im assuming that this is not a common problem... I was just wondering if anyone had any insight in my problem.... I have also uploaded a video to see if that would help out...

Thanks in advance for any help or advice

John
Mods: Rare OEM Aero Package, Sport and Premium Package, Navigation OEM Clears, Eagle Eye LED tailights, HID fogs, Invisilight Bulbs all around, Remus exhaust, Res deletes, Dinan Flash, Blacked Out Grills, K&N cold air intake, 15% tints, 12 inch JL sub, V1

y try is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-04-2009, 03:26 AM   #2
sonaldinho89

My Ride: e90 325i 6MT
before i say search,

thought about vanos seals?

but yeh,
Old 10-06-2009, 11:55 PM   #3
y try

lol thanks man.. i tried searching and all i could find was info on cleaning the icv and shit but i just found a thread resolving the issue which has to do with vanos like you said...

Once again sorry but thank you for your help
Mods: Rare OEM Aero Package, Sport and Premium Package, Navigation OEM Clears, Eagle Eye LED tailights, HID fogs, Invisilight Bulbs all around, Remus exhaust, Res deletes, Dinan Flash, Blacked Out Grills, K&N cold air intake, 15% tints, 12 inch JL sub, V1

Old 10-19-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
kwikt

My Ride: 2003 330i
Update??????
kwikt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 04:32 PM   #5
y try

I have tried cleaning the icv with no results but I read up on the vanos seals issue and found that my m52 engine has this problem and went ahead and ordered the seals... I will keep you guys updated on my results....

Old 10-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #6
Handle46

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Same thing here brother, for the past few days when I start cold I hear the EXACT same noise. I have a 2000 323ci, and the only thing I can tell you is that I cleaned the icv valve about a year and a half ago, for probably the first time in the cars life. I cannot pin point the exact location of the sound, it sounds like either from the belts and pulleys in the front of the engine or from the intake manifold near the icv. I am going to try a stethoscope tomorrow to see if it helps with the location.
Handle46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 11:29 PM   #7
y try

The fact that this effects performance really annoys me and ive been trying for months to figure out what the issue is.... Let me know what you find out and im going to do the vanos seals soon and wil let you know what my results are.... Have you found out anything yet???

Old 11-06-2009, 03:03 AM   #8
Handle46

I have not heard anything since I reduced my engine oil. It was sitting a 2 cm about the max line on the dip stick, so i drained some to where the level is right in the middle of the notches on the dip stick... Have not heard anything similar to before yet.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:03 AM   #9
Handle46

It was sitting about 2cm above the max line*
Old 11-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #10
F1004fun

My Ride: '02 330Ci
Hey guys, I was reading your thread and I think I can help. The whinning noise sounds like your secondary air pump. This is normal on cold starts, unless you have a restriction but you would get faults for that.
The rough idle stumble we see alot at the shop, if you put your hand on the vanos solenoid and it pulses when the idle drops thats a common symtom. I would recomend replacing both cam sensors and a software update ( we even have a template of the job in our computer we do it so often. The new cam sensors are fatter at the end. And the software update we do with autologic, but the dealer can do the same.
F1004fun is offline   Reply With Quote