E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #1
delmarco

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Cool Adding OEM Rear Fog Lamps On The E46 for under $30 Pictorial DIY.

Finally finished this easy and cheap DIY.

As many of you may know all E46 vehicles made before 9/2001 (prefacelift) have an empty bulb slot
under the reverse lamp in the trunk lid that is reserved for the rear fog bulbs.
In Europe this slot is usually used for the rear fog lamps that powers on with the extra fog lamp switch on the LKM (European version of the Light Switch Module). On the USA facelift E46 cars made after 9/2001 this bulb slot includes a bulb that is used for the normal driving tail lamps. In Europe the bulb in these trunk lid slots on their facelift E46 cars brightens when the rear fog button is pushed. So that noted I will add that my DIY serves those E46 sedans and possibly coupes/convertibles made before 9/2001.
I'm sure this DIY can be used as a general guide for the later E46 sedans as well once the proper LKM faceplate w/ rear fog button is added to their cars.

In the USA rear fogs have been excluded and our LCM (USA version of the Light Switch Module) lacks the rear fog lamp button.

Now to add Rear Fogs to any USA E46 (prefacelift) you will need;

1. The Euro LKM faceplate that has the rear fog button on it. The faceplates all detach from the Light Switch Module body and will attach easily onto your LCM.
I got mine from eBay.co.uk for $15. They are always lots of them there for cheap. Don't pay more than $50 for one and NO you do not need this to get dealer programming NOR does it set off your odometer tamper indicator. Remember you ONLY need the faceplate and NOT the entire LKM.

2. A pair of Pin Bushing Contacts to fit in to the Tail Lamp Bulb Holder connector BMW Parts #61130006626. You need two (one for each bulb). I paid $6.46 for the pair at my local BMW dealership.

3. One Pin Bushing Contact for the LCM Pin 49 slot BMW Parts#61130008998 which cost $3.60 at my dealership.

4. About 30 feet of 20-22 gauge wire. I paid about $5 for a spool at the local radio shack. Also heat shrink and a lighter to connect the wires together. I paid 99 cents for a pack of heat shrink at Home Depot.

5. A Woodboring 5/8" drill bit which cost me $2.49 at Home Depot. You do not need to buy the Steelboring bit which cost about $20 to $30 for just the one bit. The Woodboring bit did the trick. You also need a 6V or better power drill and small drill bits that usually come with the drill. Most households already have this or you can easily borrow from somewhere.

6. wire coat hanger and Vaseline (Petroleum Jelly) or some sort of lubricant.

7. Fog light bulbs which is identical to the reverse tail lamp bulbs I got 1157 which is 12volts/26watts. They cost about $1.50 each.

8. Needle nose Pliers, dull butter knife and screwdriver for removing LCM and Trunk lid lining

Let's begin our Pictorial DIY:

To see how to remove the driverside footwell panel and steering wheel trim
please see my previous DIY showing how to do it

http://www.e46zone.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=10223

Last edited by delmarco; 10-10-2009 at 05:41 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
delmarco

Last edited by delmarco; 10-10-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:36 PM   #3
delmarco

Old 10-10-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
delmarco

Last edited by delmarco; 10-10-2009 at 04:40 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:45 PM   #5
delmarco

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
Old 10-10-2009, 08:21 PM   #6
alwaysbored786

My Ride: Noble|M3|XJ
dude! that is so freakin awesome! really good diy too, its awesome to see that light on the dash actually work too.

*NO F-BOMBS IN SIGS*
How to refinish rims
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldintake View Post
I am proposing opening up a Paypal fund for OP. The funds will directly be used in purchasing a farm so that OP can grow some balls.
alwaysbored786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #7
Kris.R

My Ride: 2012 Dodge Charger
Epic write-up man

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

-Abraham Lincoln-
Kris.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #8
Darkoz

My Ride: E46 325Ci
Well done, that was an extremely well put together and precise DIY.
Just a question, here in Australia we have the Euro spec E46 so we already have one rear foglight and the appropriate LCM so if we wanted to have two rear fogs all that needs to be done then is drill the hole in the dummy bulb plate and add an extra bulb and then run a new wire from the existing fog light to the new bulb on the other side?
Old 10-10-2009, 09:34 PM   #9
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkoz View Post
Well done, that was an extremely well put together and precise DIY.
Just a question, here in Australia we have the Euro spec E46 so we already have one rear foglight and the appropriate LCM so if we wanted to have two rear fogs all that needs to be done then is drill the hole in the dummy bulb plate and add an extra bulb and then run a new wire from the existing fog light to the new bulb on the other side?
Yeah this is all you would have to do;

Old 11-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #10
Tim30250

My Ride: '02 330Ci, '09 G37
Send a message via AIM to Tim30250
I don't think I would ever need to do this since I live in a 99.9% fog-free climate, but what a freggin DIY!!! Excellent read, and well put together.

2002 BMW 330Cic... ZSP, 5MT
Mods: VF Stg. 1 Supercharger, Eibach Pro-Kit Springs, UUC Sway Bars

Original Owner... 50,038 miles as of 05/19/14
Tim30250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #11
Furball

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
yea i loved my euro-spec e36 with rear fogs. i loved to hit the rear fog button with tailgaters behind me and they thought it was me slamming on the brakes, haha!
M3 front and rear bumper, AC Schnitzer rear window air dam, TEIN Basic coilovers, Meyle HD control arms and Powerflex bushings, Ground control rear shock mounts, powerflex RTAB, aFe CAI, Highline Tuning full catback exhaust, tint, 6000k HID low beams and fog lights, tinted tail lights, 6000k Angel Eyes, clear corners, LED bulbs everywhere.//Saving for 18" D-Force LTW-5 wheels.//
Furball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:12 PM   #12
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furball View Post
yea i loved my euro-spec e36 with rear fogs. i loved to hit the rear fog button with tailgaters behind me and they thought it was me slamming on the brakes, haha!

I just used mine on annoying tail gaiters like 5 times tonight just during a 40 minute drive from Midtown Manhattan to home in Westchester.

It does work...I like seeing their faces light up red from the bright rear fog lamps.
My rear fogs are super bright. I need to wire my reverse lamps to them for super sun blinding effect!

Old 11-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #13
Zeekster64

My Ride: 2004 325i premium
Nice write up! But I did notice one thing...socks with thong sandals? lol
Old 11-17-2009, 02:40 PM   #14
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeekster64 View Post
Nice write up! But I did notice one thing...socks with thong sandals? lol
It was like 6 am in the morning. I was tired and just got out of bed.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:05 PM   #15
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furball View Post
you know you could've done just that..
And plus if you drive like a normal person and dont block the left lane going granpa slow, you wont have any tailgaters.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 11:36 PM   #16
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocked Out View Post
you know you could've done just that..
And plus if you drive like a normal person and dont block the left lane going granpa slow, you wont have any tailgaters.
You must have never driven in and around New York City.
Just tonight I was coming back from the movies in Mt. Kisco and driving southbound on the Saw Mill Pkwy (a dark two lane parkway that is very twisty with sharp turns and dips running about 30 miles thru Westchester) and the are lots Deer everywhere at the edge of the road eating grass and sh!t.

So I'm going like 60-70 mile (the limit is 55 but there is no Cops because there is no shoulder for anyone to pull you over) and guess what?!

I got tailgated twice by idiots who refused to go around me.

The thing is I was in the Right Lane but because deer tend to dart out from the other side no one wants to pass on the left!

So I blasted my rear fogs on all of 'em! It gives them a choice to either slow the fcuk down off my ass OR risk totaling your car on a 12 pt Buck trying to get nowhere fast.

I like giving people choices.

Last edited by delmarco; 11-17-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:41 PM   #17
M3Ed

My Ride: 323i, R33 GTR
so much work for useless lights.... u don't drive backwards why would u need rear fogs... lol not like they will illuminate that much when u reverse
Old 11-18-2009, 01:09 AM   #18
omak

My Ride: 2003 M3 SMG II TiAG
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Ed View Post
so much work for useless lights.... u don't drive backwards why would u need rear fogs... lol not like they will illuminate that much when u reverse
Haha... I agree that was a lot of work, but rear fogs are not to help you see the road, but for cars behind you to see you in fog!!
omak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:02 AM   #19
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Ed View Post
You are missing the point and of all my DIYs I've ever done
this was not a lot of work.

I think my Door Handle LEDs was a lot of work and the effect or awe factor wasn't lasting.

It's my only regret so far. I wasted an entire week on that project and I really don't care for it anymore.

Old 11-22-2009, 12:32 AM   #20
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
since facelift cars already have bulbs there, would we just have to buy a faceplate w/ the rear fog button? or is there a code issue?
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote