E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 03:09 PM   #21
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
quick video of me testing it out

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 11-10-2009 at 04:23 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 08:35 PM   #22
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Ahhhhh!!!! You guys are killing me.

I cheaped out & my kit was send snail mail. I hope I have it by the weekend.

Thank you for posting the video & extra info
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:39 PM   #23
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Delmarco, great to see the DIY success. Unlike the iPhone, your Blackberry might support data push and allow you to use the voice dialing potential of the Parrot. I'd be interested in a You Tube part 2 if your get that to work.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:37 AM   #24
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_ter View Post
Delmarco, great to see the DIY success. Unlike the iPhone, your Blackberry might support data push and allow you to use the voice dialing potential of the Parrot. I'd be interested in a You Tube part 2 if your get that to work.
Oh I already did...

Last edited by delmarco; 11-10-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:48 AM   #25
sycE46

My Ride: 323ci
I wish the Iphone could do that.
sycE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 04:24 PM   #26
delmarco

Here is me in my gfriend's 2010 C Class Mercedes Benz w/ Media package. The Bluetooth is not only confusing but it is dangerous! Lacking voicedial and useful steering wheel buttons you have to physically dial the number on the dash panel whiles looking at the Media screen & looking at your phone and trying to drive at the sametime and trying to adjust volume and the steering wheel buttons (which are placed on the wrong side of the steering wheel and you have to do it all with one hand since everything is on that same side)

see video results below (you see my car in parked in front);

Old 11-10-2009, 04:33 PM   #27
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
I received my parrot kit today and instead of the BMW interface they sent me the 2003-2008 VW/Audi interface steering wheel & radio interface.
Looks like I wont be installing this anytime soon.
Steve where did you buy your kit? It sounds like you ordered from a different company there is only one module pack you order;

The CTPPAR007 Parrot Bluetooth Steering Wheel Adapter

from their homesite

http://www.connects2.com/c2search.as...=204&modID=529

or on their eBay site

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CTPPAR007-BMW-...01141001r20772

Next to this all you have to buy is the Parrot ck3000 kit.

I did see some other seller's website that had a variety of cheaper kits but I didn't take a chance.

Last edited by delmarco; 11-10-2009 at 09:37 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #28
steve.325i

I received my parrot kit today and instead of the BMW interface they sent me the 2003-2008 VW/Audi interface steering wheel & radio interface.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:29 PM   #29
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Oh I already did...

Cool!! I have the BB Pearl & I wasn't sure if I was going to have to program tke CK3000 address book or if it would just use the speach dialling on the BB.

Thank you for posting the demo delmarco.
Old 11-10-2009, 09:19 PM   #30
xi_ter

My Ride: 2003 325xi
Quote:
Can be soon...
http://www.connects2.com/c2search.aspx?catID=46
It took Connects2 about 1 week to mail their kit from the UK to my door. Mail from London to Canada is extremely fast with faster customs than from the USA.
Icarexpress had the fast ship - http://www.incarexpress.co.uk/view_p...rtno=CTPPAR007 of the CTPPAR007 kit and non UK addresses can order it ex-VAT ie 15% less

Last edited by xi_ter; 11-11-2009 at 12:17 AM. Reason: vendor of kit
xi_ter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 09:30 PM   #31
delmarco

Quote:
Ok, I'm not 100% sure but that is what I was told I needed.

From synE46's DIY it looks like the connect2 comes with the harness and the interface module.

The quickconnectproduct does not. The harness (QCBMW-R) is available seperately from the steering wheel interface (SW-101).

Again, this is just was I was told I needed by the guys @ quickconnectproducts. I could be wrong.

Since I am in Canada they referred me to www.acsdistributors.com
No wonder. That website is bootleg. I saw their kits and it seemed like they wanted you to buy that extra adapter bunch with the flat pin head.

QuickConnects or ACSDistributers is a different company from Connects2. I don't even think their kit is the same as the CTPPAR007 kit that you need. Just return it and buy the proper Connects2 kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xi_ter View Post
Can be soon...
http://www.connects2.com/c2search.aspx?catID=46
It took Connects2 about 1 week to mail their kit from the UK to my door. Mail from London to Canada is extremely fast with faster customs than from the USA.
Well he went elsewhere to buy his kit...so he may as well break out a Snickers Bar since it may take a while.

Last edited by delmarco; 11-10-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:00 AM   #32
sycE46

I've had a few complaints about the sound quality at highway speeds. When I'm idle, the people can hear me clearly. But when I'm driving, the road noise seems to take over. I read online about splicing in a 10k ohm resistor on the mic wire. Theory is, the mic sensitivity is too high. So it picks up too much noise. Talking louder doesn't help, cuz the mic starts to clip. The 10k ohm brings down the sensitivity of the mic. Unfortunately, the CK3000 doesn't have a volume control for the Mic. I think some of the other Parrot kits do.

I dropped by Radio Shack today and picked up some 10k ohm Resistors. I made a small adapter to place the resistor inline with the mic wire. I didn't want to cut up the mic wire if this didn't work. So far, it seems to help. I called my friend while driving on the freeway and the she said it sounds clear. Much better than before when driving on the freeway. though... I'm not sure if its just her phone. Other people I've talked to haven't had any issues hearing me.

How has the sound quality been for you guys?

10k ohm Resistors from Radio Shack. $1
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062330

Last edited by sycE46; 11-11-2009 at 03:43 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:36 AM   #33
sycE46

I got my Connects2 adapter from lowcostcaraudio.co.uk. I picked them b/c they had an ebay store and they had a lot of feedback.

I went through their website instead of ebay. If you're outside the Europe, you need to use Pay Pal for payment.
http://www.lowcostcaraudio.co.uk

It took a little over a week to get the package (UK to California). I ordered Thursday night and it arrived the following week Saturday. One annoyance with them is their website / e-mail support. The website never updated my order saying my packaged shipped. I e-mailed them asking them if it shipped, but it took a few days for them to respond. They actually shipped it the day I ordered it.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:08 AM   #34
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycE46 View Post
I've had a few complaints about the sound quality at highway speeds. When I'm idle, the people can hear me clearly. But when I'm driving, the road noise seems to take over. I read online about splicing in a 10k ohm resistor on the mic wire. Theory is, the mic sensitivity is too high. So it picks up too much noise. Talking louder doesn't help, cuz the mic starts to clip. The 10k ohm brings down the sensitivity of the mic. Unfortunately, the CK3000 doesn't have a volume control for the Mic. I think some of the other Parrot kits do.

I dropped by Radio Shack today and picked up some 10k ohm Resistors. I made a small adapter to place the resistor inline with the mic wire. I didn't want to cut up the mic wire if this didn't work. So far, it seems to help. I called my friend while driving on the freeway and the she said it sounds clear. Much better than before when driving on the freeway. though... I'm not sure if its just her phone. Other people I've talked to haven't had any issues hearing me.

How has the sound quality been for you guys?

10k ohm Resistors from Radio Shack. $1
http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062330
Hey did you get the Resistor tip from the girl's father on Amazon.com? There is a whole discussion on where he does that. But I thought he was doing that to combat the speaker echo that the person on the other end was hearing.

At any rate, I was driving 50 to 80 miles on the super loud Van Wyck Expressway in Queens, NY yesterday and got clear reception on both ends (albeit my windows were up and all my sound proofing seals and panels are still pretty much intact).

I think it may be down to the phone you pair it with and also many people who had bad sound reception at highway speeds placed the mic at the top of the A-P!llar near to to window/windshield and the conclusion was NOT to place the mic in that location.

FOR EVERYONE: I think mic placement (I 100% recommend you place it at the OEM mic location that BMW has on our E46 cars) , the phone you pair it with (The Blackberries give the best overall experience whiles I haven't heard too many good things about the iPhone), and maybe your car speakers (aftermarket Super Loud Sound Blaster Bass Boxes may not be the best option for a Bluetooth speaker) may have a lot to do with the performance of the kit. That said, it is still a great 5 star kit overall.

SYC E46: Let me know how the Resistor trick work out.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:21 AM   #35
delmarco

Quote:
I got my Connects2 adapter from lowcostcaraudio.co.uk.
http://www.lowcostcaraudio.co.uk

Connects2 CTPPAR007
Parrot Bluetooth
Steering Wheel Adapter
BMW 3 / 5 / 7 Series / X5.
Use With CK3000 Evolution.
Business RDS/CD/Professional Old 17pin Block:
  • BMW 3 Series 1998-2001 E46
  • BMW 5 Series 1996-2001 E39
  • BMW 7 Series 1994-2003 E38
  • BMW Mini Non CAN-Bus Models
  • BMW X5 2000-2001 E53

Connects2 CTPPAR008
Parrot Bluetooth
Steering Wheel Adapter.
BMW 3 / 5 / 7 Series / X3 / X5 / Z4.
Business RDS / CD / Professional New 40pin Block:
  • BMW 3 Series 2001-2005 E46
  • BMW 5 Series 2001-2003 E39
  • BMW 7 Series 2001-2005 E38
  • BMW Mini Non CAN-Bus models
  • BMW X3 2004>
  • BMW X5 2001> E53
  • BMW Z4 2003> E85
That is wrong!

All years E46 BMW 3 Series 1998 to 2006 come ONLY with the old 17 pin block.

I'm guessing the Euro/UK E46 may have changed the radios/car connectors in 2001 but the USA E46 keeps the same 17 pin connector in the E46 radio/car for ALL years until 2005.

So it should be corrected for USA E46 Owners to say...

Connects2 CTPPAR007
Parrot Bluetooth
Steering Wheel Adapter
BMW 3 / 5 / 7 Series / X5.
Business RDS/CD/Professional Old 17pin Block:
  • BMW 3 Series 1998-2006 E46 & E46 M3
  • BMW 5 Series 1996-2001 E39
  • BMW 7 Series 1994-2003 E38
  • BMW Mini Non CAN-Bus Models
  • BMW X5 2000-2001 E53

Connects2 CTPPAR008
Parrot Bluetooth
Steering Wheel Adapter.
BMW 3 / 5 / 7 Series / X3 / X5 / Z4.
Business RDS / CD / Professional New 40pin Block:
  • BMW 5 Series 2001-2003 E39
  • BMW 7 Series 2001-2005 E38
  • BMW Mini Non CAN-Bus models
  • BMW X3 2004>
  • BMW X5 2001> E53
  • BMW Z4 2003> E85

Last edited by delmarco; 11-11-2009 at 08:23 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:45 AM   #36
steve.325i

Delmarco: I see that I didn't answer your earlier question. I bought my kit from ACS Distributors in Calgary. They are the Canadian distributor for www.quickconnectproducts.com

The steering wheel module that I received is labeled Bluebahn Hands-Free Steering Wheel Control Module. Does anybody know any details about this module? Of course I received the VW/Audi version of this thing as well.

I will first see if they have the correct one in stock & how fast they will ship it to me. If they don't have it, I will send what I have back & re-order from connect2 - thanks ix_ter or the one that sycE46 suggested.

re: the 10k inline resistor. Do you have a link for the amazon discussion? It' sbeen a long time since I have played with condenser mic's, but yes, the inline impedance biases the mic setting the sensitivity/performance. They must have an inline resistor in the kit already and you are simply increasing it with the additional 10k. I would have thought that 10k would be too large and possibly killed that sensitivity all together. I would have started with something in the range of 3-5k.

re: mic placement. I planned to place the mic where the OEM is placed, but I was going to put it outside - below the headliner - for better sound quality. Is that what you guys have done?
Old 11-11-2009, 10:05 AM   #37
delmarco

Quote:
re: the 10k inline resistor. Do you have a link for the amazon discussion? It' sbeen a long time since I have played with condenser mic's, but yes, the inline impedance biases the mic setting the sensitivity/performance. They must have an inline resistor in the kit already and you are simply increasing it with the additional 10k. I would have thought that 10k would be too large and possibly killed that sensitivity all together. I would have started with something in the range of 3-5k.
Here is the Amazon Review and Discussion;

http://www.amazon.com/review/RVFWN4V...wasThisHelpful

Quote:

20 of 20 people found the following review helpful:
5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, but microphone too sensitive, October 19, 2007
By Strive for Perfection "Dad"

I had Best Buy install the Parrot CK3000 Evolution with the Multicomm in my daughter's car. She thinks part of driving is talking on the phone. One hand was always holding her phone to her ear while driving. She needed a good hands-free unit to make the road safer for others.

At low speeds, it worked great. It also worked great for me at high speed. The callers could hardly tell I was on a hands-free unit even at high speeds in a small (noisy) car.

But when my daughter used it at high speeds, people would tell her she was very hard to understand. There seemed to be a scratching static of her higher voice when the road noise increased. I theorize that the Parrot noise cancelation was canceling out too much of her voice when road noise increased.
I added a 10 ohm resistor (from Radio Shack) in the microphone wire. This did the trick. The extra resistance lowered the sensitivity in the microphone resulting in less pick-up of road noise but still great pick-up of her voice. Lowering the sensitivity resulted in less need for the noise cancelation to work so hard. It still cancels most road noise, but does not lower the quality of her voice. You almost can't tell she is on a speaker phone. With the adjustment, this becomes an amazing product.
Permalink | Was this review helpful to you? Yes No (Report this)

Comments
You are tracking comments by e-mail Cancel
Track comments by e-mail
Tracked by 1 customer

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion

Initial post: Mar 3, 2008 2:23 PM PST
D. Zweers says:

This is excellent advise. I'm about to install the 'VW Bluetooth Phone Button Handsfree Kit' that is based on the Parrot CK3000 and heard some complaints about speaker sensitivity. I'll certainly will keep your modification in mind, thanks!

Last edited by the author on Jun 18, 2008 6:24 PM PDT
Janna K. says:

Hi, can I get a bit more details on where exactly did you put the resistor? I did the install myself and callers complain that they hear static and road nosie when I am on the highway. So it seems to be a common problem. So do I just splice the mic wire and add the resistor to one of them? I am assuming there are two wires inside... any advice is appreciated.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 14, 2009 11:08 PM PDT
OJ says:

Hi,
I'm also seeking advice on where and how you added the resistor?
thanks

Last edited by delmarco; 11-11-2009 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #38
sycE46

Quote:
Hey did you get the Resistor tip from the girl's father on Amazon.com? There is a whole discussion on where he does that. But I thought he was doing that to combat the speaker echo that the person on the other end was hearing.

At any rate, I was driving 50 to 80 miles on the super loud Van Wyck Expressway in Queens, NY yesterday and got clear reception on both ends (albeit my windows were up and all my sound proofing seals and panels are still pretty much intact).

I think it may be down to the phone you pair it with and also many people who had bad sound reception at highway speeds placed the mic at the top of the A-P!llar near to to window/windshield and the conclusion was NOT to place the mic in that location.

FOR EVERYONE: I think mic placement (I 100% recommend you place it at the OEM mic location that BMW has on our E46 cars) , the phone you pair it with (The Blackberries give the best overall experience whiles I haven't heard too many good things about the iPhone), and maybe your car speakers (aftermarket Super Loud Sound Blaster Bass Boxes may not be the best option for a Bluetooth speaker) may have a lot to do with the performance of the kit. That said, it is still a great 5 star kit overall.

SYC E46: Let me know how the Resistor trick work out.
I saw the resistor tip on Amazon and in the tech forums from the Parrot website.

http://www.parrot.com/forums/usa/viewtopic.php?id=540

I originally had the Mic in the OEM location. I moved it around a little bit when I was having the road noise problem. It's currently mounted next to the rear view mirror. None of it really helped . I might move it back to the OEM location so it doesn't show.

It could be my friend's phone. none of my other friends complained about the road noise being really bad. in either case, i'm going to try using it with the resistor on the mic for now. I'll keep you guys updated.

I'm not sure it would be a iphone vs blackberry thing. I think it would have to do more with the Parrot CK3000. All the voice is being sent via bluetooth. Unless the iphone is doing its own noise canceling on the data it's getting via bluetooth.

For anyone setting up the Parrot CK3000 Evo & Connects2 Steering wheel harness: I would try to optimize the placement of the microphone first. Parrot says to mount it near the rear view mirror. Don't mount it to anything that will vibrate. If all else fails, try splicing in the 10k ohm resistor.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:16 PM   #39
steve.325i

Quote:
Here is the Amazon Review and Discussion;
Thank you.

btw - this article talks about a 10 ohm resistor, not a 10k ohm. Thats a pretty big difference.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:19 PM   #40
delmarco

Quote:
Don't mount it to anything that will vibrate. If all else fails, try splicing in the 10k ohm resistor.
The OEM location doesn't vibrate at all and it is shielded from road noise.
I was on it tonight with the sun roof tilted-open and still my person on the other end didn't hear any road noise. The worse I heard is someone said I sounded like I was far away (a.k.a hollow effect) but it wasn't an issue for them or me.

Actually the Voice Dial feature paired with the Blackberry 8900 is alot better (as in feature rich) than I'd thought. I just discovered a few more voice command features that I now have at the press of the steering wheel "voice" button.

I can summon the voice to tell me my Blackberry's full status (battery life, signal strength and the data/phone connection status, etc...)