E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-14-2009, 06:01 PM   #1
veener88

My Ride: 2000 323i
Power Steering line how to replace looks glued

I have a 2000 323I and we had a free inspection coupon for a local dealer. We took in the car and they found a power steering hose leak. It is very small. They said it looks to be from the line from the reservoir to the pump. Looking at the car I do not see any clips holding the line. From searching I have read posts about lines being glued.

I am wondering what I cannot find in my search is how do I replace the line? I am not sure how to get the old line off and get the new line attached. I am not sure if some black RTV sealant would work for not.

In searching I did find posts about the pump leaking because of a large rubber seal. Is this something I should replace when I have the car torn down all ready?
veener88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-15-2009, 10:38 PM   #2
eweis

My Ride: 1999 328i
I also had a P/S leak which manifested itself with leaks running down those two hoses that come from the reservoir. I just replaced them both a couple weeks ago and it's not too hard. Neither of them involve removing any banjo bolts ...which is not necessarily that difficult but it can cause some complications so I figured I'd mention it.

One hose goes down to the pump where it connects via hose clamp. In fact, both ends of that hose use hose clamps. The other, smaller hose goes from the reservoir towards the front of the vehicle down beside the radiator expansion tank. It uses a hose clamp at the reservoir and a quick connect fitting at the other end. So, to replace these two hoses, you'll probably want to get three new clamps. I want to say that the smaller hose is like 3/4" outer diameter though I'm not sure. The other bigger hose which takes two clamps is maybe 1". Please verify or get a small assortment of different sized worm screw type hose clamps.

First remove the airbox and then remove as much fluid from the reservoir as you can (turkey baster is a popular solution especially since it's November). Then, loosen the clamp (10mm bolt) which will allow you to lift out the reservoir. But first, you'll want to disconnect the other ends of each hose. You'll access the bigger one that goes to the pump from underneath the vehicle. You'll need to remove the bottom engine cover to get to it. Then, at the bottom-back of the power steering pump, you'll see the hose attached. Can't remember if this is a worm screw type or pinch clamp. Anyways, remove it, twist off hose and be ready to drain the fluid into a container.

The other hose that has the quick connect (call it...PITA-disconnect) down by the expansion tank. To remove these you have to sort of push in (towards the front of the car) on the hose itself while at the same time pulling back on the plastic fitting on the end in order to disconnect it. I found that the trick to pulling back on the plastic part is to use either some ordinary pliers or an open end wrench. Slip either of them around the end which allow you to apply approximately equal pressure on the face of the plastic fitting to pull it back. It's a little awkward but, since you obviously will have already bought the new hose with this fitting, you can inspect the new one and play around with it to see how this action works.

Again, be prepared for some fluid to leak out. With both hoses disconnected and the reservoir loosened, you can take it all out together. Then, once you've got it out, it will be easier to go about removing the hoses from the bottom of the reservoir. Then, install the new hoses and replace it all being careful to snake the bigger hose back down the same route as the old one went.

There are some other instructions here about filling the reservoir so I won't go into that. But basically, fill reservoir, start engine and run for a minute and then re-check level and top off.
eweis is offline   Reply With Quote