E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-09-2009, 11:25 PM   #1
abdulmk

My Ride: 330ci
whistling noise

i have an irritating whistling noise coming from my engine, its coming fromsomewhere VERY close to the alternator. any ideas??
abdulmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-09-2009, 11:33 PM   #2
trippmann

My Ride: E30
Send a message via AIM to trippmann
torn intake boot... or your CAI if you have one..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa02e46 View Post
^It seriously was the worst decision of my life to sign up for this site.
trippmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 03:19 PM   #3
abdulmk

nope. i checked it today, the intake boot is fine, the noise is coming directly from the left of the alternator. im guessing its the hydrolic tensioner? but im not sure. do those things usually make a noise when they go bad? and do i have to just change the tensioner or the entire thing?
Old 08-10-2009, 03:31 PM   #4
Michel

pulley.
Michel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 02:34 PM   #5
abdulmk

which one? tensioner or idler?
Old 08-19-2009, 08:42 PM   #6
thehoq

My Ride: E46 318i Saloon 1999
if not the pulley, it could be a ccv (crankcase valve) leak.
thehoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 09:40 PM   #7
ThatGuy_JZ

My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to ThatGuy_JZ
Ha, I had the same ****. Have you meesed with anything lately? Is it a whistle like the Andy Griffith Theme Song or more like a supercharger air type whistle. Mine just went away on its own, it was coming from around the same area. I know for a fact it was related to the main drive belt or one of the pulleys. The belt and all pulleys were just replaced when I started hearing the noise, search I made a thread about it. I guess the new belt was just wearing in or something.

ThatGuy_JZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 07:01 PM   #8
grouchyfungus

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
Whistle like Andy Griffith. Sweet.

Definitely check the Crank case valve. Might be your problem. Do the suction test. Take oil cap off, put your hand or a piece of paper over the opening, and see if there is suction. If there is, you may need to replace the CCV.
grouchyfungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:03 AM   #9
tourbillion

My Ride: 2003 325i
I would be willing to bet it is your pulleys. I just did mine the other day as I was having a metalic whistling noise comming from the motor. It is a very very EASY DIY. I ordered the tensioner pulley, the deflection pulley, Surp belt and the air compressor belt from Pelican for $69 bucks. Do all of the pulleys and belts while your there. Literally took me less than 30 min to do the job and my indy wanted $350 for the same job.

Yay Me!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abdulmk View Post
i have an irritating whistling noise coming from my engine, its coming fromsomewhere VERY close to the alternator. any ideas??
tourbillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 12:43 PM   #10
Majorp

My Ride: 2000 328i
I have the same problem and its driving me crazy I thought it was a bad alternator because when I tapped on the back plastic alternator cover the sound would go away momentarily. After replacing the alternator the sounds was still there so I read some threads and thought it might be the hyd. belt tensioner so I replaced that and the pulley that goes with it and the sound is still there. I will check my crankcase valve and let you guys know (thanks for the test tip grouchyfungus). abdulmk I saw that you posted this a while back any success as yet??
Majorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 07:13 AM   #11
E-rock

My Ride: '01 330xi
I'm getting the same "Andy Griffith" whistling noise now. It sings only when it's cold out side, roughly 40*F and below. This morning it was around 31*F and the whistling/whining happened during my entire drive to work. Got a little better as the car warmed up but it was still there until I was almost to the parking garage. The sound doesn't start up right away either. It takes about a half mile down the road before I can hear it. Pitch changes with throttle position but when I get above 50% throttle, it goes away. Let off and it comes back. Suspect it's a pulley but I'd like to get a recommendation on which pulley should be replaced first because while the car is in park or neutral, there's no whistling/whining regardless of throttle position. I'm kind of going at this blind.

Belts, water pump, and thermostat were changed two months ago (will reuse belts)
Upper and lower intake boots were replaced and IACV cleaned two weeks ago
No other mods
Think I have a couple pulleys sitting in a closet somewhere. Will update when I get home and check which ones.
E-rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 02:34 PM   #12
ThatGuy_JZ

My Ride: '02 Steel Blue 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to ThatGuy_JZ
to test if it is belt/pulley related, remove the AC Belt first, start the car, listen for noise. If noise is gone, it's likely the AC tensioner pulley. If noise is present, turn off the car, keep the AC belt off the car. Now, remove the main drive belt. Start the car and rev it a few times. If noise is gone, it is belt/pulley related. If noise is still present, it is something else, possibly vacuum related. Running the car for a few seconds with the main drive belt off won't hurt anything.

Check pulleys for wiggling/play. With belts off, free spin them and listen for noise/chatter. A good pulley will spin just a little and then come to a stop.

Last edited by ThatGuy_JZ; 11-07-2009 at 02:36 PM.
ThatGuy_JZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:04 AM   #13
grouchyfungus

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
Jus a second thought on the test for a crank case valve replacement. If you take the oil cap off and put your hand over the opening, there should be a slight suction, correct? After all, your hand is replacing the oil cap that you have just turned off. If your engine dies, that is another matter. Make sure you have a "Chewbacca" noise emanating from beneath your intake manifold before deciding to venture down the arduous path of replacing that crank case valve. I did mine recently and didn't enjoy it. On the other hand, at least it's new and I shouldn't need to worry about it for awhile (At least that's how I rationalize it...).
grouchyfungus is offline   Reply With Quote