E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 11-22-2009, 09:05 PM   #81
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Steve,
I'm about to order the kit but just wanted to clear up a few things regarding the installation and rewind/fast forward features.
1. Is the SPECModule-to-Car cable long enough to run the connection from the trunk to the dash area where I will keep the USA-SPEC module hidden behind the dash and the iPod nearby in the glovebox?
I do not want the the SPEC nor the iPod in the trunk . I also don't want to stuff the SPEC and my iPod under and around my armrest console.

2. I downloaded the manuals and according to them the PA11 and a first edition version of PA12 allowed for ffw and rwd inside a currently playing song file by pressing the Random button and then the FFW and RWD buttons. Now in a 10-07-08 addendum notice the PA12 was said to be updated to improve handling of audiobooks and iPhone streaming by creating a the iPod Direct feature at Button #4 w/ AUX on or Button #5 w/ AUX off. However the notice did not say that the newer PA12 lost the ability to use the Random mode to Fast Forward and Rewind inside the currently playing song file. Not sure if you know about using the Random mode or not? But please advise.
Thanks.
Holy Crap! I can't believe I have lived without FF/RWD for for EIGHT FREAKIN MONTHS and I had it ALL along.

What is even worse is that it was in my manual & I didn't get it!!!

I must have a comprehension impediment.

I can now confirm what the manual has said all along:

Tap FF/RWD keys jumps one song
Push & hold FF/RWD keys & it jumps 10 songs

Enter RND mode:
Tap FF/RWD keys jumps one song (but is a random or 'shuffle' jump)
Push & hold FF/RWD keys & it will FF or RWD within the track.

Wow! I still can't beleive I missed this one. I guess I should have RTFM more than once.

So the only thing I can't confirm is if USA-Spec has changed the behaviour since I purchased mine in April 2009.

Last edited by steve.325i; 11-22-2009 at 09:12 PM. Reason: fixed what I said about RND mode
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:21 PM   #82
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
Holy Crap! I can't believe I have lived without FF/RWD for for EIGHT FREAKIN MONTHS and I had it ALL along.

So the only thing I can't confirm is if USA-Spec has changed the behaviour since I purchased mine in April 2009.

Nope. I can confirm this as I've downloaded the PDF manuals directly from their websites and my downloads came with all the updated addendum. The last change to the PA12 software was made in 10/2008 to upgrade iPod Direct features for Audiobooks and for the newer generation iPod touch and iPhones

So HANDS DOWN it is now official!

The USA-SPEC is much better than DICE unit.

DICE Sponsors go weep it out somewhere!

Steve I was wrong! You owe me a beer for RTFM for you! lol.

Now you need to update your Youtube review with a Part 3.

Actually I also now realised my installation will be fairly quick now as I can leave it all in trunk.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 11-22-2009 at 09:25 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:16 PM   #83
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzwu View Post
I heard about problems with factory Nav. from GROM, ICE, and USA Spec. The installation seems straight forward for trunk CD changer connection.

Intravee II sounds like the best solution so far.
If you have Nav, its not even close.

While the IV2 is slightly more expensive, for me it wasn't after I wasted money for years buying cr@p products. Read my article linked above from Boston Bimmer magaizine for my experiences with the Dice...
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:42 PM   #84
jzwu

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330Cic
So any verdict on best adapter for cars with factory Nav.?

I am on the verge of going for a factory CD changer after hearing all the trouble of after market adapters with factory Nav.
jzwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:46 PM   #85
steve.325i

Quote:

I am on the verge of going for a factory CD changer after hearing all the trouble of after market adapters with factory Nav.
I haven't heard anythign bad re: Intravee II & the videos on youtube look really slick. IF I had nav it would be my pick.
Old 11-22-2009, 11:53 PM   #86
chivo328

My Ride: 328/330/633/M5
So I have looked at the USA Spec website and don't see any instalation instructions am I missing it? Also, does USA Spec offer a harness that goes directly to the back of the head unit or is the trunk/CD changer the only option?

I have the DICE and originally had the trunk harness (nothing but problems) and then went with the straight from the head unit harness which took care of the noise issues but now my DICE has stopped recognizing any ipod so I think I'm done with it.

Will the USA Spec allow me to use my clicker wheel for ipod navigation as well as my steering wheel controls?

I'd like to pick up a USA Spec unit but if I have to go from the trunk I'd like to route the cable the same way as the DICE (my DICE unit is mounted behind my glovebox) so I can run the ipod cable out of my glovebox. Do I understand correctly that the diameter of the USA Spec harness won't allow me to do this?

Last edited by chivo328; 11-22-2009 at 11:57 PM.
chivo328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 12:16 AM   #87
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivo328 View Post
So I have looked at the USA Spec website and don't see any instalation instructions am I missing it? Also, does USA Spec offer a harness that goes directly to the back of the head unit or is the trunk/CD changer the only option?

I have the DICE and originally had the trunk harness (nothing but problems) and then went with the straight from the head unit harness which took care of the noise issues but now my DICE has stopped recognizing any ipod so I think I'm done with it.

Will the USA Spec allow me to use my clicker wheel for ipod navigation as well as my steering wheel controls?

I'd like to pick up a USA Spec unit but if I have to go from the trunk I'd like to route the cable the same way as the DICE (my DICE unit is mounted behind my glovebox) so I can run the ipod cable out of my glovebox. Do I understand correctly that the diameter of the USA Spec harness won't allow me to do this?
Yes you are correct - the USA-Spec site doesn't have any install instructions. They have a simple connection diagram on the package & that's it. Honestly you can follow the Dice install to the letter.

Re: interface. Yes they only have the trunk interface. The wire diameter is the same as the Dice cable so you can route it from the trunk to the front. The connector is a bit larger (1/2" diameter) so it is a bit more difficult to thread through tight areas.

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...rds=cp-1080-nd

Actually, if you already have the Dice radio interface and if you feel confident with cutting a cable & splicing, I would recomment replacing the Dice 12 pin with the new one...

Old 11-23-2009, 12:20 AM   #88
jzwu

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330Cic
Quote:
I haven't heard anythign bad re: Intravee II & the videos on youtube look really slick. IF I had nav it would be my pick.
Trouble is I couldn't find the Alpine ipod adapter. Seems every online store is out of stock. And it is another $100 on top of the $250 Intravee II.
jzwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:45 AM   #89
chivo328

Quote:
Actually, if you already have the Dice radio interface and if you feel confident with cutting a cable & splicing, I would recomment replacing the Dice 12 pin with the new one...[/IMG]
Great info!! I appreciate the help. I'm using the DICE head unit harness, do you think the interface will work if I splice into my current set up?
Old 11-23-2009, 06:55 AM   #90
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:

Huh? Verdict? With factory Nav, its not even close. The Intravee II is the only solution. Have you read the article and DIY and watched the YoutTube clips on it?!

Quote:
Trouble is I couldn't find the Alpine ipod adapter. Seems every online store is out of stock. And it is another $100 on top of the $250 Intravee II.
I just spent 4 seconds googling and found this:
http://cgi.ebay.com/BNIB-ALPINE-KCA-...item19b7df8aa3

As for the extra $100. The Intravee II is a $350 solution, and works perfectly. The other solutions are $250, and will cause you to get so mad, that you'll rip them out of your car and buy an Intravee II. Do yourself a favor and don't make a decision based on price alone, you'll be sorry that you did.

Last edited by sna77; 11-23-2009 at 06:57 AM.
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 07:18 AM   #91
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
I'm still super happy with my dension icelink... i got it years ago and the one that i have charges ur pod, plays it, allows for head unit and steering wheel control, but also allows you to play with the ipod itself.. from what i've heard, they've disabled ipod controls for safety which would annoy me.

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:19 PM   #92
dudelove

My Ride: Hybrid E46
The newer USA SPEC PA12-BMW comes with new cable that fully charges all new iPods, and has these newer features:

- Dual Mode - Select Playlist or direct mode right from your radio (Old way was called Hybrid mode)
- Charges all iPods - Including new 3G iPhone, Nano and Touch

How can I tell if I received the NEW model? Can't install it yet.

EDIT:
The newer charging cable has a blue/yellow stripe sticker on one end.

Last edited by dudelove; 12-16-2009 at 03:10 PM.
dudelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #93
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudelove View Post
The newer USA SPEC PA12-BMW comes with new cable that fully charges all new iPods, and has these newer features:

- Dual Mode - Select Playlist or direct mode right from your radio (Old way was called Hybrid mode)
- Charges all iPods - Including new 3G iPhone, Nano and Touch

How can I tell if I received the NEW model? Can't install it yet.
As far as I understand it, if you have the PA12-BMW then it is the new version. They changed the number from PA11 when they rev'ed it to support text on the HU.

My PA12-BMW has a date code of 2008.10.28 and has the 5v0 charging and selecting CD-6 enables control via the iPod BUT disables text.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/album.p...pictureid=8589
Old 11-25-2009, 01:20 AM   #94
chivo328

Steve do you know if I can utilize the splicing method you posted to connect to the DICE head unit harness (not the trunk harness)? Also does this product allow you to utilize the steering wheel controls? Is there a dip switch configuration that will allow you to control directly from the ipod as well as the head unit (and hopefully steering wheel)? Or do you have to adjust the dip switches depending on where you want to control from?

Sorry for all the questions but you seem to know this product pretty well and I'm lookinf for a replacement for my non-functioning DICE, not having my ipod is making me nuts.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:15 AM   #95
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chivo328 View Post
Steve do you know if I can utilize the splicing method you posted to connect to the DICE head unit harness (not the trunk harness)? Also does this product allow you to utilize the steering wheel controls? Is there a dip switch configuration that will allow you to control directly from the ipod as well as the head unit (and hopefully steering wheel)? Or do you have to adjust the dip switches depending on where you want to control from?

Sorry for all the questions but you seem to know this product pretty well and I'm lookinf for a replacement for my non-functioning DICE, not having my ipod is making me nuts.
  • Yes you can use the Dice HU harness. It has the same six connections on the interface.

• Yes, the steering wheel buttons work exactly like the << & >> on the HU, & of course the volume + & - work as well.

• From memory my USA-Spec has only has two dip switches. Iím not sure why the online Supplement talks about dip # 3 & I donít think Hybrid Mode is offered any more.

The dip switches are for the following:
    1. Enable or disable the AUX RCA connectors. The con of enabling the AUX input is you loose a playlist button.
    2. Switch between text support or double-tap for pre-2003 HUís.

The dip switches have no effect on the Direct Mode. From the HU, when you select the CD-6, two things happen:
    1. The iPod control are unlocked so you have direct control
    2. The HU no longer displays iPod text

Switching back to another playlist (another CD button) locks the iPod controls & restores text on the HU.

• No problem about too many questions. Ask away. I hope everything is accurate for you 2000 HU.
Old 11-26-2009, 05:25 PM   #96
andy_bee

My Ride: 01 330i sedan
I have a 2001 BMW 330i (US Spec, imported into Canada) with the original Business CD unit, no HK.

I have a few small questions.

I'm thinking of getting the Parrot CK3000 Bluetooth with Connect 2. Connect 2 uses the steering wheels buttons.

a) Is there any conflict with the Parrot/Connect and the USA-Spec if both are using the same Iphone?

b) Parrot/Connect connects behind the radio. Is this a problem with the USA-Spec connecting in the trunk (I dont have a CD Changer, but I assume I still have to do a trunk install).

c) I assume there is no way to do a radio interface install. Seems like quite a bit of work for a trunk install if I want to route it back to the interior, although I have a spare Ipod, so I could in theory use that with the USA Spec and even leave that in the boot. The latest version charges. so I would not need to remove.

d) Steve, you mention pressing 6 on the HU gives you direct control. does this mean you can scroll through artists and albums? (I have a 2001 HU)

e) Long term, I would like to get a XM unit. Can I use a XM unit with the USA Spec, or do they both take the CD Changer connection?

Lots of q's Many thanks in advance, these threads are awesome and informative, so thanks to those who put time and effort into the posts and youtube videos. Much appreciated!
Old 11-26-2009, 05:56 PM   #97
andy_bee

after reading the manual, it seems I could potentially connect a XM Satelitte unit to the AUX plug in the USA-Spec device, although I would need to route the XM head unit into the car so I could control it - am i correct?
Old 11-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #98
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_bee View Post
I have a 2001 BMW 330i (US Spec, imported into Canada) with the original Business CD unit, no HK.

I have a few small questions.

I'm thinking of getting the Parrot CK3000 Bluetooth with Connect 2. Connect 2 uses the steering wheels buttons.

a) Is there any conflict with the Parrot/Connect and the USA-Spec if both are using the same Iphone?

b) Parrot/Connect connects behind the radio. Is this a problem with the USA-Spec connecting in the trunk (I dont have a CD Changer, but I assume I still have to do a trunk install).

c) I assume there is no way to do a radio interface install. Seems like quite a bit of work for a trunk install if I want to route it back to the interior, although I have a spare Ipod, so I could in theory use that with the USA Spec and even leave that in the boot. The latest version charges. so I would not need to remove.

d) Steve, you mention pressing 6 on the HU gives you direct control. does this mean you can scroll through artists and albums? (I have a 2001 HU)

e) Long term, I would like to get a XM unit. Can I use a XM unit with the USA Spec, or do they both take the CD Changer connection?

Lots of q's Many thanks in advance, these threads are awesome and informative, so thanks to those who put time and effort into the posts and youtube videos. Much appreciated!
  • There is no conflict between the USA-Spec & the Parrot.
  • Correct. The USA-Spec only comes with a trunk interface & the Parrot connects to the radio. The Connect2, or in my case I used www.quickconnectproducts.com, simplifies the connection & supports steering wheel controls.
  • The easiest way to do a radio install for the USA-Spec would be to buy the Dice radio interface & rewire the cable as in my post # 87. I don't know the wiring color of the radio harness to do it without the Dice interface, but that can be done as well.
    Yes, I never touch my iPod. I bought a dedicated 8gig 3G nano just for my car.
  • I'm always scared about answering question re: pre-2003 HU's, but yes CD-6 unlocks the iPod controls for scrolling etc. In CD-6 you do loose the text on the HU.
  • You are correct that the XM would connect to the AUX inputs of the USA-Spec and with that setup, CD-5 would select your Sat Radio. This is going to be true with any iPod interface you buy since they have to share the DC Changer inputs.
    I agree that hooking into the trunk interface and then running a wire all the way back to the radio area seems like a waste, but it's really not that bad of a DIY to route the wire up front. I'm not sure I would want to hook up a radio interface for the iPod & then the connect2 for the Parrot. That is a lot of extra connections for speaker outputs to go though. I wasn't that comfortable just hooking in the Parrot.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-26-2009, 07:48 PM   #99
andy_bee

Quote:
I'm not sure I would want to hook up a radio interface for the iPod & then the connect2 for the Parrot. That is a lot of extra connections for speaker outputs to go though. I wasn't that comfortable just hooking in the Parrot
Hope this helps.
Cool, thanks, great info... but I dont quite understand what your are getting at here. You saying I should just have a radio inteface for the Parrot?

Re XM: Upon reading up further, looks like, long term, the best thing is to get a later HU and get XM Direct and do it properly. Can I have Parrot as a radio interface and the USA-Spec AND XM in the trunk using AUX or can I only have one or the other

Last edited by andy_bee; 11-26-2009 at 07:51 PM.
andy_bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 08:01 PM   #100
steve.325i

Sorry, I didn't mean to jumble words. I have the Parrot connected via a Radio Interface & the USA-Spec connected via the trunk.

And yes, to this config you can ad XM into the USA-Spec AUX in.

Radio interfaces are good because they provide the shortest path for your iPod audio, etc. They are bad because they are an extra extension cord basically that all of the radio connections have to pass through. So I was trying to say is I wouldn't want to use more than one radio interface in a system.

Last edited by steve.325i; 11-26-2009 at 08:05 PM.