E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2009, 03:01 PM   #1
royalratch

My Ride: 03 320d SE Touring
Aftermarket speakers to BMW connector????

Just wondered how you actually connect aftermarket speakers with the normal +/- tabs to the non-standard BMW connector?

Do you cut the wires then terminate with standard spade terminals etc...?
I'm specifically talking about door components for a 03 Sedan/Touring.
royalratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-30-2009, 03:18 AM   #2
royalratch

Guys. Surely this is an easy answer...?
Old 11-30-2009, 03:59 PM   #3
Orion329

My Ride: MKV GTI
what kind of connections your new speaker have will determine what you need to do. no matter the type, you will have to chop off the stock connector (or splice) to connect new speakers.

BSW speakers are the only ones i know of that work directly with the stock tabs (i think).

you can use the wiring chart on the bottom of this thread to help ensure you have your +/- correct.
Old 11-30-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
royalratch

All aftermarket speakers have the same terminals / tabs. You connect using spade terminals but in the case of BMW connectors I assume that's what you do.

So of the 4-wire connector at the door speaker, 2 are just a kick-up to the tweeter?

Where is the crossover?
Old 11-30-2009, 07:31 PM   #5
Orion329

My Ride: MKV GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by royalratch View Post
All aftermarket speakers have the same terminals / tabs. You connect using spade terminals but in the case of BMW connectors I assume that's what you do.

So of the 4-wire connector at the door speaker, 2 are just a kick-up to the tweeter?

Where is the crossover?
all aftermarket speakers do not have the same terminals, though most do have spade style connections. the ones i used (Infinity Kappa 60.9cs) did not have spade connections. and subs count as speakers too...

i had the non-hk system, and like all of the cars with amps in the trunk, it had dedicated wires going from the rear to each independent speaker. the crossover is integrated into the amplifier in most cars, though i'm not versed in cars from over the pond. your car either has an amp in the trunk (on the left side) with similar wiring or may be sending power from an internal amp in the head unit up front. in either case, i've not heard of any external crossovers being utilized by BMW.

hope that helps a little. maybe someone with a similar car will jump in here...
Old 12-01-2009, 02:29 AM   #6
royalratch

Kind of.

My main issue is:

'So if I cut the 4-wire connector at the door speaker, and 2 kick-up to the tweeter, won't I ruin signal to the tweeters? How do I do this without disturbing that?
Old 12-01-2009, 11:10 AM   #7
royalratch

Bump.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:13 PM   #8
XXXXXJASONXXXXX

My Ride: E46 M Sport Cab
Three options:

Destroy the original speakers and use the connections from them. (Requires soldering) etc

Use a splice electrical connector that cuts through the insulation and allows you to connect off the original. (Splice before the wire terminates with the connection block) Also called snap lock connectors see here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1000-Auto-Elec...01141002r18445

Cut the wires and use spade or bullet connectors.
XXXXXJASONXXXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 12:41 PM   #9
royalratch

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXXXXJASONXXXXX View Post
Three options:

Destroy the original speakers and use the connections from them. (Requires soldering) etc

Use a splice electrical connector that cuts through the insulation and allows you to connect off the original. (Splice before the wire terminates with the connection block) Also called snap lock connectors see here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1000-Auto-Elec...01141002r18445

Cut the wires and use spade or bullet connectors.

Mate. It is a massive no-no using those splice connectors - they are a terrible idea.

But again, my issue is a question of the crossover, not how to actually connect.
Old 12-03-2009, 05:29 PM   #10
flightz71

My Ride: 2004 330ci coupe
Quote:
Mate. It is a massive no-no using those splice connectors - they are a terrible idea.

But again, my issue is a question of the crossover, not how to actually connect.
+1 I got so much effin static using stupid taps.

Gotta chop off the connector... and solder on new speaker wire w/spades. Always solder when you can... even though you're compromising the fact that you can't go back to 100% factory... you're going to end up with a crummy install otherwise.
flightz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:35 PM   #11
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
solder the wires together......
Old 12-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #12
//TRD power

My Ride: 3.0 | 200hp | 214trq
I've installed the crossovers inline with no problem. I was told the crossover was built into the speaker, but looking at them I don't see how or where (looking at stock HK rear door tweet/mid). If the crossover is indeed in the amp, wouldn't the filtered frequency just get through the aftermarket crossover no problem?

Last edited by //TRD power; 12-03-2009 at 07:09 PM.
//TRD power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:16 PM   #13
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
the signal is filtered through the amp. i believe bmw uses an active x-over vs. a passive one. you should be able to connect the speakers without the x-over in place. unless you plan to run an aftermarket amp. you're not going to notice a huge (if at all) performance with just a replacement of the speakers anyhow.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:22 PM   #14
//TRD power

My Ride: 3.0 | 200hp | 214trq
Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
the signal is filtered through the amp. i believe bmw uses an active x-over vs. a passive one. you should be able to connect the speakers without the x-over in place. unless you plan to run an aftermarket amp. you're not going to notice a huge (if at all) performance with just a replacement of the speakers anyhow.
Do the mid ranges (previously HK) on the front doors need a cross over then? My speakers for the rear door came with crossovers and I installed them and they sound fine. My front midrange 2.75" just came without crossovers and was wondering if they will work without them? Won't damage the speakers?
Old 12-03-2009, 08:43 PM   #15
sillieidiot

nah they don't. none of components do really because the stock amp takes care of that. it won't damage the speakers if you don't use them. i would only use them if i decide to use an aftermarket amp.

Old 12-05-2009, 02:24 PM   #16
royalratch

Still confused.

Can someone clarify on how the wires leave the stereo and reach the door speaker and then the tweeter on a standard non-amped, non HK set up?
Old 12-06-2009, 10:33 AM   #17
XXXXXJASONXXXXX

Quote:
Still confused.

Can someone clarify on how the wires leave the stereo and reach the door speaker and then the tweeter on a standard non-amped, non HK set up?
I can only comment on the Euro E46 Vert with non HK and no amplifier.

It has an inline resistor connected to the cable/wiring from the bass/woofer speaker to the tweeter, see the circled area in the photo:

I cut and soldered spade connectors for my set up :

and shrink wrapped in the final install:

Then shrink wrapped the spade connections after fitting for good measure:

Obviously you cannot use the same / original tweeter cable with new tweeters if you want to use your own crossover because of the inline resistor.
(Unless you replace them with identical 8ohm tweeters - but then what was the point ?)

So in summary, the woofer / bass cable can be cut and soldered and the tweeter wire is best replaced. Any crossover needs to be wired in the door (or take a feed from before the amplifier - if / where the car has one)

Hope this helps, it shows where my crossover is in the door between the woofer and tweeter. I have a non HK and no factory amplifier set up. The speaker input feeds the crossover and the crossover has a tweeter output and a bass/woofer output which you connect to the corresponding speaker:

Last edited by XXXXXJASONXXXXX; 12-06-2009 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Added more photos/info
Old 12-06-2009, 06:29 PM   #18
sillieidiot

^ that's pretty much it. for a non-hk, no amp. if you have the amp then it goes through the amp which takes care of the x-over functions to the speakers.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #19
Handsome Kev

My Ride: 328
Old thread bump, yeah yeah
So my infinity reference speakers came with a crossover; do I just cut and solder the factory wires?? Or do I use the x-over that came with the speakers (which I can't seem to figure out how that is going to work)??? BTW I'm using the stock HU and stock amp. Car is a coupe

These are the speakers I have:
Front:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00

Rear:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i01

Last edited by Handsome Kev; 07-30-2012 at 09:07 AM.
Handsome Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:31 AM   #20
XXXXXJASONXXXXX

I'd say yes put the crossover in the door between the tweeter and bass as per my photo above, the crossover has two outputs one for the bass and one for the tweeter. Remember to remove the inline resistor on the tweeter cable if it is present in your car (see photo above) and solder connections for best results.
http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/FAQ/Crossover/
There's lots of videos on the web for how to wire a crossover - google is your friend

Last edited by XXXXXJASONXXXXX; 07-31-2012 at 07:35 AM.

Tags
aftermarket, connector, door, speaker