E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 11-26-2009, 10:24 PM   #101
andy_bee

My Ride: 01 330i sedan
ok, that makes sense, thanks

If I wanted to install XM Direct (which gives full control on the HU) can I do that with the USA-Spec still connected?

Last edited by andy_bee; 11-27-2009 at 02:26 AM.
andy_bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #102
jason330cic

My Ride: 2001 330cic
R.I.P dice

I just installed my new USA-Spec PA12 and it works perfect I have an older 2001 Business cd with the Harman/Kardon and it still displays artist / song text with no problems. My Dice unit would display text that looked somtihing like this: #*&^@(***^%-0x":+s o~` It was also very easy to install. It was just a little tough tucking away all the cables because they were way too long for my install.

jason330cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #103
gsletch

My Ride: 2000 328i Sport
A few questions:

(1) Shuffle/Random mode only shuffles within a selected playlist and not between playlists?

(2) Disc #5 selected will play every single song on your Ipod?

(3) Does Shuffle/Random mode work with Disc #5 selected..Shuffling all songs on your Ipod?

(4) Can you assume if your Business headunit displays text broadcasted from radio stations(station call sign, song titles, etc) that it is capable of displaying text for the USA-Spec.? The documentation mentions that not all Business headunits with display song/artist text...something about a "TEXT" button...
gsletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 02:01 PM   #104
gsletch

Can anyone verify this? The manual downloaded off Crutchfield doesn't mention this??? The manual downloaded off Usaspec.com mentions this??? Which is it???...one button pushes, but no text. Two button pushes, but text. I would prefer one button pushes and text.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudelove View Post
In 99-00 year 3 Series, operation of the DICE kit requires two button presses for each operation (ex. Press "Next" twice, "Artist" twice, etc..).

Do you know if the USA Spec has this issue with 99-00 head units?

EDIT:
I read the manual and the USA Spec has the same issue as DICE for the older head units ("rectangular shape faceplate"). You go to "single press mode" by disabling the text display.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:46 PM   #105
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason330cic View Post
I just installed my new USA-Spec PA12 and it works perfect I have an older 2001 Business cd with the Harman/Kardon and it still displays artist / song text with no problems. My Dice unit would display text that looked somtihing like this: #*&^@(***^%-0x":+s o~` It was also very easy to install. It was just a little tough tucking away all the cables because they were way too long for my install.
Happy to hear all is good !!!
Maybe you can confirm gsletch question about the double key press.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsletch View Post
A few questions:

(1) Shuffle/Random mode only shuffles within a selected playlist and not between playlists?

(2) Disc #5 selected will play every single song on your Ipod?

(3) Does Shuffle/Random mode work with Disc #5 selected..Shuffling all songs on your Ipod?

(4) Can you assume if your Business headunit displays text broadcasted from radio stations(station call sign, song titles, etc) that it is capable of displaying text for the USA-Spec.? The documentation mentions that not all Business headunits with display song/artist text...something about a "TEXT" button...
1. Yes, it only shuffles within the current playlist.
2. Yes, but I'm not entirely sure if its every song or every song on only the first four playlists. Meaning, if you had five or more playlists, I'm not sure if it would include those additional songs or not.
3. Yes, but with the same note as # 2
4. I'm sorry I'm not sure & I don't want to lie to you, but if I had to answer, I would say yes.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #106
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Steve you are awesome man!
Most DIYer or Thread startes usually disappear and abandon their threads but you are always here to clear things up.

Steve,
I'm also getting a 1st gen OEM BMW Sirius Tuner in the trunk that will connect directly to the pre-wired CD Changer Data Link connector.
The Tuner has a slave port that has proven to work with the DICE. However, I was told that the USA-SPEC doesn't work off a slave port when connected it to a Sirius tuner the same way the DICE is cappable of. Is this true?
If it is true can I buy some adapter that will connect the USA-SPEC directly to the other datalink port on the back of my head unit?

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 05:02 PM   #107
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Steve you are awesome man!
Most DIYer or Thread startes usually disappear and abandon their threads but you are always here to clear things up.

Steve,
I'm also getting a 1st gen OEM BMW Sirius Tuner in the trunk that will connect directly to the pre-wired CD Changer Data Link connector.
The Tuner has a slave port that has proven to work with the DICE. However, I was told that the USA-SPEC doesn't work off a slave port when connected it to a Sirius tuner the same way the DICE is cappable of. Is this true?
If it is true can I buy some adapter that will connect the USA-SPEC directly to the other datalink port on the back of my head unit?
Oh wow! I can clearly see that I have waded in waaay over my head. I don't know anything about the sirius data link. Can you send me a url & I will be happy to take a look to give you my opinion.

That said - the USA-Spec & the Dice interface EXACTLY the same way to the HU. In other words, if the Dice can do it, I believe the USA-Spec will behave the same way (or better - lol).

hmmmmm.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:02 PM   #108
steve.325i

Hi, I was asked about the USA-Spec PA12-BMW compatibility with pre-2003 HU with H/K Audio & no Nav. www.crutchfield.com claims that this combination doesn't work.

I don't have any first hand knowledge, but to quote jason330cic who has a 2001 ...

"I do not have the NAV in my car. I also looked on Crutchfield.com and they said that it was not compatible with my car, but it does work fine."
Old 12-03-2009, 10:32 PM   #109
jason330cic

My Ride: 2001 330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
Hi, I was asked about the USA-Spec PA12-BMW compatibility with pre-2003 HU with H/K Audio & no Nav. www.crutchfield.com claims that this combination doesn't work.

I don't have any first hand knowledge, but to quote jason330cic who has a 2001 ...

"I do not have the NAV in my car. I also looked on Crutchfield.com and they said that it was not compatible with my car, but it does work fine."
Crutchfield doesn't know what they're talking about, these work in pre 2003 cars. It even says so on USASpec.com.
Here are a few photos of my install. Everything is tucked away under the tray that the Ipod is laying on, the CD Changer plugs are right there too.

Here's proof that it displays text on a pre 2003 HU with H/K (mine is a 2001)

jason330cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:35 PM   #110
steve.325i

Quote:
Crutchfield doesn't know what they're talking about, these work in pre 2003 cars. It even says so on USASpec.com.
Here are a few photos of my install. Everything is tucked away under the tray that the Ipod is laying on, the CD Changer plugs are right there too.

Cool - thanks for the confirmation.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:54 PM   #111
steve.325i

I have been asked a few time for install instructions or DIY links for the USA-Spec & my answer is always "No, I do not have a USA-Spec DIY, but BSW has done such a nice job on making youtube videos for the Dice install & the steps are identical."

If you are leaving your complete installation in the trunk, including the iPod like Jason330cic has done, tehn you only have to follow videos 1 & 3.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:30 AM   #112
gsletch

Does your 2001 HU require two successive button pushes to perform one task? I asked another forum member, E46Moonlight, who has a year 2000 HU and a USA Spec unit and he gets text display, but with the two button push functionality. You have to disable text display to get one button push functionality. I wonder if the cutoff for one button push WITH text is 2000/2001 headunits???

Quote:

Old 12-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #113
nightingales

My Ride: 330cic, 2002MY
Dsp...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
DSP = Digital Sound Processing. An option on the 5 & 7. Never on any e46 3, so no need to worry about it...
Sorry but I think this is incorrect. Some E46 definitely have the DSP option. It is usually noticeable if you have a DSP, which is a button with a speaker symbol on it and a green light integrated, underneath the A/C buttons. See this thread also:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...665&highlight=
where SaaDiesel provided a photo showing it (in an E46!).

I am still unclear on whether there are radios with DSP that do not have the button, but the reverse is clear - if you have the button, you have DSP

Marc
Old 12-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #114
eml

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightingales View Post
Sorry but I think this is incorrect. Some E46 definitely have the DSP option. It is usually noticeable if you have a DSP, which is a button with a speaker symbol on it and a green light integrated, underneath the A/C buttons. See this thread also:
where SaaDiesel provided a photo showing it (in an E46!).

I am still unclear on whether there are radios with DSP that do not have the button, but the reverse is clear - if you have the button, you have DSP

Marc
isn't this the button for harman-kardon option? unless that's considered the dsp option.
eml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:25 PM   #115
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
"but the reverse is clear - if you have the button, you have DSP"

WRONG! The button with the speaker icon does NOT mean the radio is a DSP radio. Harmon-Kardon systems get the speaker icon button. That button has nothing to do with the DSP radios.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #116
nightingales

My Ride: 330cic, 2002MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen330 View Post
"but the reverse is clear - if you have the button, you have DSP"

WRONG! The button with the speaker icon does NOT mean the radio is a DSP radio. Harmon-Kardon systems get the speaker icon button. That button has nothing to do with the DSP radios.
I do not know for sure how to tell DSP or not - thats why I started the other thread
The only one who answered was SaaDiesel as I pointed out. However, also as I said in the thread, I do have a HK system but I do not have the button, so it is certainly not as simple as that.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:18 PM   #117
steve.325i

Quote:
I do not know for sure how to tell DSP or not - thats why I started the other thread
The only one who answered was SaaDiesel as I pointed out. However, also as I said in the thread, I do have a HK system but I do not have the button, so it is certainly not as simple as that.
I could be wrong on this, but I think sna77 told me that no 3 series has DSP, only 5 series & up.

I'm even doubting myself as I type this.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:07 AM   #118
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
I think verts even with HK don't get the speaker icon button. When referring to BMW radios with DSP those are ones that have a digital connection like an optical or coaxial digital connection from the amp to headunit or something like that. That's why a lot of the aftermarket audio thingys need to know if you have a DSP radio or not because they need to use a different connector. Although I'm not sure, I don't think any e46 3 series have DSP radios.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:03 AM   #119
RichardP

My Ride: M5
There are only three Audio options in the E46 :

1) Head unit amplification only.
2) Hi-Fi speaker system and amp.
3) HK speaker system and amp, Button with green light for enabling 'enhanced' spacial separation.

There was never a DSP option.
RichardP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 06:03 PM   #120
eml

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
convertibles won't have the button even if they have the HK option as there is no more space on the panel for the button (taken up by the roof buttons).
eml is offline   Reply With Quote