E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 08:20 AM   #1
Pietá

My Ride: Boosted 330ci
Idle and Light Throttle Problems..

Hey !

I´ve changed my car´s airfilter (it has a ASA SKII supercharger so its a cone air filter), the old one was dirty as hell, I mean really really dirty, and the new one is a brand new oiled Green Airfilter. Before the car ran more or less fine, it had a bit of a problem with the vanos, but it was perfectly drivable. Now, after I changed the filter, its having a lot of trouble holding the idle, almost everytime I coast on a stop light the car stalls and driving at highway speeds (it probably happens at slower speeds but its not as noticeable) on very light throttle (just enough to hold a 60-75 mph speed), the car bounces like its misfiring (and it probably is). Yesterday on the highway the EML light came on but went away after I shut down and restarted the car, SES light is always on (it came on aprox. when I reached a quarter of a tank).
I´m still under warranty and I´m taking the car for service tomorrow, but I really would like some ideas of what may be causing this because I hate to be blindfolded when taking my car for this kind of service.

Thank you !

2002 BMW 330ci | ASA Stage 1 Supercharger TM-12 @ 8PSI | Eibach Pro-Street Coilovers | Meyle HD RSM | Pagid RS-14 | 15R Spacers | P46 Projectors | 18" BMW MV2 Wheels | Bastuck Exhaust | M-Tech Front | ZHP Shift Knob | M3 Steering Wheel | Black Kidney Grills |
Pietá is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
Is the maf connected correctly and are all couplings tightened down?

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
Pietá

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ3 View Post
Is the maf connected correctly and are all couplings tightened down?
the maf is connected correctly. Which couplings are you refering to ? this almost always (I could say always but I´m not 100% sure) happens after the car is fully warmed up.

2002 BMW 330ci | ASA Stage 1 Supercharger TM-12 @ 8PSI | Eibach Pro-Street Coilovers | Meyle HD RSM | Pagid RS-14 | 15R Spacers | P46 Projectors | 18" BMW MV2 Wheels | Bastuck Exhaust | M-Tech Front | ZHP Shift Knob | M3 Steering Wheel | Black Kidney Grills |
Old 03-25-2009, 08:06 AM   #4
Rob1796

My Ride: 2006 350Z
Sounds like the filter was over oiled from the manufacturer. I get the same thing if my MAF gets a touch wet, and usually after a while it dries out and everything is fine. Clean off the MAF and let it dry out, and see if you can dry the filter out a bit. From now on use dry or oil-less filters.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:13 AM   #5
Pietá

I don´t think its a problem with the filter being oiled as I already had the filter from a previous car and cleaned and oiled it myself. I left it drying for like 2 weeks (not because I thought it was needed, I just didn´t have time to replace the filter on the car), so I´m pretty sure it wasn´t oil that went to the MAF.
Well, anyways car is off to the shop, hopefully they´ll take good care of it !
Thanks for the help guys

Old 12-08-2009, 04:28 AM   #6
cosmos328Ci

My Ride: 328Ci -M54B30 on E85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveraudi View Post
I don´t think its a problem with the filter being oiled as I already had the filter from a previous car and cleaned and oiled it myself. I left it drying for like 2 weeks (not because I thought it was needed, I just didn´t have time to replace the filter on the car), so I´m pretty sure it wasn´t oil that went to the MAF.
Well, anyways car is off to the shop, hopefully they´ll take good care of it !
Thanks for the help guys
Hi,

Did you ever find out what the problem was.

All the best and I hope you got it sorted.
cosmos328Ci is offline   Reply With Quote