E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Love Line

Love Line

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #1
HellFish

My Ride: BMW
Send a message via AIM to HellFish
Am I a nutjob for thinking about counseling?

I am in a dysfunctional relationship and in my opinion, its not a matter of if we break it off, its just when.

The main mental hurdle I have is the thought of her dating (and having sex with) other people. By nature I live kind of a boring lifestyle so that makes it a lot more difficult. We have broken up before briefly and thoughts like this just consumed me. I know a lot of people's responses about this topic are simply "you have to get over it and it will go away eventually", but I feel like I am having a harder time than most with this issue. Anyway, I am thinking about seeing a family counselor to try and get me over this hurdle in my life. Am I nuts for doing this?

p.s. I don't really want to go to a doctor - i have zero interest in taking any medication to deal with this.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:34 PM   #2
TheRusski

My Ride: gone...
you have 3 options:

1) Wait a while and you will get over it ( I think its the worst option )
2) Go see a doctor
3) Go out and bang some other chick....and trust me you will get over it faster thn you ever thought
Old 12-07-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
NJ///M

My Ride: TACO TRUCK/CBR600F4
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroBmrDude View Post
you have 3 options:

1) Wait a while and you will get over it ( I think its the worst option )
2) Go see a doctor
3) Go out and bang some other chick....and trust me you will get over it faster thn you ever thought
Option 3

seriously the best way to get over someone is to get into someone else. Its perfectly natural to have those feelings about your ex, I harbored them for a while with one of mine. It drove me nuts and made my blood run cold when I thought about it. After banging the next girl, I can care less what she does.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend; Those with loaded guns and those who dig."
NJ///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
TheRusski

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ///M View Post
Option 3

seriously the best way to get over someone is to get into someone else. Its perfectly natural to have those feelings about your ex, I harbored them for a while with one of mine. It drove me nuts and made my blood run cold when I thought about it. After banging the next girl, I can care less what she does.
LOL sooo true......
Old 12-07-2009, 09:44 PM   #5
JJR4884

in all honesty... (sorry guys) but the concern shouldn't be about "bangin" another girl. The OP seems like he has a very deep emotional attachment to his gf, as well as to their physical part

personally i think "bangin" a new girl will not fix anything, just seems like its a lot deeper than that....

OP, you need to find yourself and find happiness... until then it is going to be a bumpy road. sorry to say but a new snatch isn't going to ease your mind... a new relationship however might
Old 12-07-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
TheRusski

^ New relationship = even more problems
Old 12-07-2009, 09:48 PM   #7
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroBmrDude View Post
^ New relationship = even more problems
lol.. i know i've been through plenty of them.. however there is a such thing as a successful relationship

you just gotta know when to jump ship before the problems arise
Old 12-07-2009, 09:50 PM   #8
TheRusski

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
lol.. i know i've been through plenty of them.. however there is a such thing as a successful relationship

you just gotta know when to jump ship before the problems arise
LOL I still cant figure that out....maybe thats why I act the way I act lol
Old 12-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #9
JJR4884

Old 12-07-2009, 10:15 PM   #10
NJ///M

My Ride: TACO TRUCK/CBR600F4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
in all honesty... (sorry guys) but the concern shouldn't be about "bangin" another girl. The OP seems like he has a very deep emotional attachment to his gf, as well as to their physical part

personally i think "bangin" a new girl will not fix anything, just seems like its a lot deeper than that....

OP, you need to find yourself and find happiness... until then it is going to be a bumpy road. sorry to say but a new snatch isn't going to ease your mind... a new relationship however might
To each their own, It could be my age, or it could be my personality but after the next girl I feel fresh and no longer think about the ex as much.

"You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend; Those with loaded guns and those who dig."
NJ///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:19 PM   #11
HellFish

Send a message via AIM to HellFish
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ///M View Post
To each their own, It could be my age, or it could be my personality but after the next girl I feel fresh and no longer think about the ex as much.
Well I have been with this one for over 4 years. (im 24), and had a 6 month relationship with her when I was 16. So we go way back to say the least.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:51 PM   #12
Keno

My Ride: smelly & leaky 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Keno
To put it shortly, you would be "nuts" if you DID NOT seek professional help. The faster you tackle the problem, the faster you will get over it, allowing you to stop wasting your life feeling miserable about yourself and more time being productive and getting what you want out of a relationship/life.

Anyway, judging by your previous posts on your relationship, you make it seem like she is very outgoing, sociable and adventurous - so much so that her social prowess intimidates you (especially when you realize her lifestyle puts her around more men than your lifestyle women).

Next, Its obvious that you are putting her through a lot of sh1t by constantly putting her "on thin ice." It seems as if you do this to hurt her because you "know" she will hurt you and are setting up your defenses for when you two finally part ways. However, you are normal and not psycho because you realize this behavior is egocentric and obsessive and are willing to correct it so that you and her can both go on and be happy. You need to man-up, accept the fact that her life after you is not of your concern, and that you need to enjoy life and enjoy the hunt.

Last edited by Keno; 12-08-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Keno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:10 AM   #13
JoeVert

My Ride: 135i
"professional help" is a joke. If you see it as "only a matter of time" then its going to be "only a matter of time". Professional help will only delay the inevidible. All counseling does is give you a room where you can vent your frustrations. If you can't already do this in the privacy of your own home then its hopeless and its time to move on.

edit: just to be clear I am talking about couples counseling, not personal counseling. If the latter is what you need after a breakup by all means try it out, but the former is useless.

Last edited by JoeVert; 12-08-2009 at 11:00 AM.
JoeVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 10:40 AM   #14
SLVR JDM

My Ride: reclining rear seats
If I'm reading this right, you're still in the relationship, correct? If you assume you'll be breaking up, then break up now. Don't wait. Trust me.

When you bring up counseling, I would only recommend this after having broken up and dealing with it yourself. If months go by and you can't move on, get help. There is nothing at all wrong with that.

If you are getting help to try to salvage your relationship, don't do it. If you are dating and you already need counseling, the relationship is not worth saving.

** Removed **
SLVR JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:00 AM   #15
\\\VLADA

My Ride: C70 T5
Send a message via MSN to \\\VLADA
Quote:
Originally Posted by joevert View Post
"professional help" is a joke. If you see it as "only a matter of time" then its going to be "only a matter of time". Professional help will only delay the inevidible. All counseling does is give you a room where you can vent your frustrations. If you can't already do this in the privacy of your own home then its hopeless and its time to move on.

Edit: Just to be clear i am talking about couples counseling, not personal counseling. If the latter is what you need after a breakup by all means try it out, but the former is useless.
+1
ex-YU thread

Motorcycle thread
\\\VLADA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #16
Keno

My Ride: smelly & leaky 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Keno
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeVert View Post

edit: just to be clear I am talking about couples counseling, not personal counseling. If the latter is what you need after a breakup by all means try it out, but the former is useless.
O word. If you were talking about couples counseling, forget. I am 100% against it. But, as stated before, I am 100% FOR counseling to rid yourself of the serious pain from the thought that your ex will be intimate with another man.

So ya, break it off, and get counseling to help you ride it out until you got an emotional handle on things.