E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 65 votes, 4.88 average.
Old 12-03-2009, 09:16 AM   #41
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
If you then want to integrate the picture to not be a tumbnail, click the attachment to expand it, and copy the properties into the thread with img tags as such:
Thank you Steve.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:52 AM   #42
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
Can anyone tell me how people do their posts with thumbnails of the pictures & then when you click on them the go full size? I can't figure it out.

On another note - I have been having experiencing eratic behaviour with the whole system since installing it. It will work fine for a while & then I hit the steering wheel phone button and instead of hearing my blackberry prompt "say a command" over the speakers, the phone seems to be in discrete mode and is not sending the audio to the system.

When I initiate a call with the phone keypad, everything is fine.

I called the place where I bought it & they said that it sounded like a parrot/bluetooth problem - not the quick connect / steering wheel control box so they helped me open a support case with parrot. Of course the first thing parrot wanted me to do was to disconnect the steering wheel control box & use there controller until we got things sorted. The problem still existed. I spent a few days making sure my 8110 BB Pearl had the latest OS then I gave up.

ACS agreed to send me another parrot kit but instead I borrowed one from futureshop and it was still glitch. So now it's actually looking like the phone. My IT department had a go with it (and Rogers) since it' s an Enterprise phone, etc, etc.

I broke down & asked to my wife (nicely) to borrow her 8310 curve & I could not repeat the problem.

Soooo, now I have to wait until January to swap the phone through work.
So it turned out to a problem with the Blackberry Pearl phone connected to the bluetooth parrot ck3000. This is good to note for future reference in terms of troubleshooting issues with the system.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:04 AM   #43
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
Hi guys, sorry I've been offline for a while & haven't chimed in lately.

I popped off teh A-pillar cover (screws were long) and clipped the mic wire in the four or five clips that run along the airbag like synE46 did.

As I have PM'ed with delmarco, for some reason I was not able to get quality mic response when I positioned it inside the headliner as he shows in his DIY. A bit of a bummer really because I really wanted it to be a 'stealth' install. It sounded like I was talking with a mouth full of cereal or something. I also found that the mic was clipping at normal voice levels but sounded much better when I whispered. So like was discussed earlier in this thread I started to play with a series resistor to reduce the sensitivity of the mic. Since the youtube video suggest 10 ohms, I started with 20 ohms, then 75, then 200, & I stopped at a 300ohm.

And as I have already hinted, my final mic position is below the headliner.

Uhm...what was the ultimate result with the adding of the resistor? Is it a noteworthy addition for the DIY.

Also I should call you to see what you mean about the mouth full of cereal distortion.

My mic is so clear that I moderated a conference call with my cousin in London and my girlfriend who was walking and shopping around midtown Manhattan and everyone heard each other clear like if we were all in the same room. My cousin said she could hear the taxi horns honking in the background as if she was sitting in the car with me.

I also think or I'm beginning to think that only variable between all the kits we've put in and cars we've been installing them in is OUR PHONES.

Some of us are using various generation iPhones, Blackberries, etc....
on the same kit.

So I'm wondering if that has to be a big factor if not the BIGGEST factor in kit performance.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:14 AM   #44
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
My Ride: She aint much 330ci
Can I still use my icelink? (glovebox version). Not trunk

best mod to date : OEM grocery bag holder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Born Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:59 PM   #45
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Uhm...what was the ultimate result with the adding of the resistor? Is it a noteworthy addition for the DIY.

Also I should call you to see what you mean about the mouth full of cereal distortion.

My mic is so clear that I moderated a conference call with my cousin in London and my girlfriend who was walking and shopping around midtown Manhattan and everyone heard each other clear like if we were all in the same room. My cousin said she could hear the taxi horns honking in the background as if she was sitting in the car with me.

I also think or I'm beginning to think that only variable between all the kits we've put in and cars we've been installing them in is OUR PHONES.

Some of us are using various generation iPhones, Blackberries, etc....
on the same kit.

So I'm wondering if that has to be a big factor if not the BIGGEST factor in kit performance.
Dropping the mic to this position has cleaned up the "mouth full of cereal" problem. Adding the resistor has reduced the mic's sensitivity so I don't have to whisper. NOW it sounds very good.

You are right, it could be the cell phone being used. I do have the Echo Control on my BB 8110 set to Automatic.

Additionally, they may have shipped the parrot kits with different mics with slightly different characteristics. Especially if the mics are from different manufactures.

Last edited by steve.325i; 12-07-2009 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:28 PM   #46
Alex
Mom says I'm a catch

My Ride: E46
Send a message via MSN to Alex
Phenomenal write up man. I'm thinking this will be the next mod on my e46 since now that I have it on my E90, I can't live without it.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:37 PM   #47
Define ///M3

My Ride: Dream 2 B Suprchrgd
amazing write up i want to do this.

AKA Huggy1989
"I expect to pass through life but once. If, therefore, there can be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."- WP
Define ///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:38 AM   #48
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Quick queston. How do you pop off the cover with the sunroof button an empty mic spot.

Thanks.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:59 AM   #49
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen330 View Post
Quick queston. How do you pop off the cover with the sunroof button an empty mic spot.

Thanks.
Pry it open with a butter knife.

Old 12-06-2009, 03:09 PM   #50
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Pry it open with a butter knife.
Yup, & start @ the edge that is closest to the rear of the car.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:08 PM   #51
dyarstraits

My Ride: 330CIC
Great DIY! Any suggestions for mic placement on a convertible
dyarstraits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:17 PM   #52
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyarstraits View Post
Great DIY! Any suggestions for mic placement on a convertible
I think I read on the Parrot site that they recommend the rearview mirror. The distance is good & it will point the mic in the correct direction.

I'm not sure if you will be able to hide the mic wire down the window side of the mirror or not. Does your convertible have the bulge for the rain & sunlight sensor? That might make it easier.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:18 PM   #53
Born Again

Location: Tis quite a statement. Where do you live - where do we all live? in our minds? our souls? our bodies?
can u confirm u can still use the icelink and this setup?

Quote:
E46Fanatics - the Honda community of gun owners. Keep staying classy, I'm sure you all are going to be excellent examples of how to keep gun rights from being infringed. :facepalm:
Old 12-08-2009, 05:50 PM   #54
sycE46

My Ride: 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
can u confirm u can still use the icelink and this setup?
works fine. I have the icelink and the parrot setup. the icelink is seutp using the cd-changer connector in the trunk. not sure if that makes a difference.
sycE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #55
BruceJ

My Ride: 2007 Z4Si 2003 330i
Vent Removal???

I all four screws and the radio no prob. Tried pulling vent out, even with hand inside to push from behind and it won't budge. Anything I missed? Thanks
BruceJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:59 PM   #56
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceJ View Post
I all four screws and the radio no prob. Tried pulling vent out, even with hand inside to push from behind and it won't budge. Anything I missed? Thanks
pull harder.
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:37 PM   #57
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
pull harder.
Yup. Delmarco told me the same thing. I was scared of braking the vent.

I tried VERY hard to do the install without removing it. Waste of time!!!

The two vents have the foam sticky stuff (how's that for technical lingo) & well, it gets stuck.

As I pushed from behind I was pulling and wiggling up & down from the front. I finally felt some movement on the driver side vent & it finally came.
Old 12-10-2009, 12:55 AM   #58
DADON4SHO

My Ride: SLOW E46
my man great work!!!!! simply amazing!
BUT CAN YOU PLEASE DO THE DIY ON A VIDEO?
that would help sooooo much....
Again thanks for taking the time and doing this...

also about how long did it take you to do the whole thing?
Old 12-10-2009, 01:09 AM   #59
Born Again

ur friend in your youtube video sounds like she was raped

Quote:
Old 12-10-2009, 08:25 AM   #60
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADON4SHO View Post
my man great work!!!!! simply amazing!
BUT CAN YOU PLEASE DO THE DIY ON A VIDEO?
that would help sooooo much....
Again thanks for taking the time and doing this...

also about how long did it take you to do the whole thing?
As an avid IBM Lenovo T60 user I suck at creating videos and my pictures and video clips are done on a 2004 5 megapix Nikon Coolpix 5200 camera that literally looks like it been thru war. I can't imagine shooting a 10-20 minute video on that thing.

The Bluetooth DIY took about 30 to 40 minutes with the bulk of that time spent trying to remove the upper centre vent and get the C/A connection thru to the upper vent area (its a tight space to work with if you have big manly hands-having someone with tiny hands to help will shave off about 10-15 minutes). The rest of the DIY is as easy as connecting Lego blocks.

For the value, performance and ease of this DIY I don't think there is a better thing you can do for yourself and your car right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
ur friend in your youtube video sounds like she was raped
That would be my girlfriend who was bored at work and I hope not or I'm looking at 8 to 10 years

Last edited by delmarco; 12-10-2009 at 08:38 AM.