E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 12-06-2009, 06:30 PM   #121
nightingales

My Ride: 330cic, 2002MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by eml View Post
convertibles won't have the button even if they have the HK option as there is no more space on the panel for the button (taken up by the roof buttons).
OK, that's what I had suspected. So, to summarize:
  • Some people think that HK equals DSP.
  • Others think that there is no DSP available for E46's (3-series).
  • We all agreed that HK equals speaker button, unless it is a convertible.
  • And from all I found, I would second that DSP means you have a different wir
    ing harness, one that includes optical fiber.

We'll get it together! I just wanted to add that if I select my options on Crutchfield, in example, (2002, E46, 330cic, HK) it automatically selects "Business CD with HK and DSP" - so if there is no DSP on all E46, that would be definitely wrong. I found quite a bit of posts on this forum that mention DSP, so I am a bit hesitant to follow the "no DSP on any 3 series" line.

Marc
Old 12-07-2009, 06:20 PM   #122
Paco II

My Ride: 2005 325i
Hey all, question. When in direct mode, does the usa spec show song info on the head unit? The manual I downloaded says that hybrid mode is no longer available, and song information is not shown when using direct mode. Can I get confirmation on that?
Paco II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:29 PM   #123
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paco II View Post
Hey all, question. When in direct mode, does the usa spec show song info on the head unit? The manual I downloaded says that hybrid mode is no longer available, and song information is not shown when using direct mode. Can I get confirmation on that?
Yup, confirmed.

I typically don't use this mode so I had to go out to my car and try it out.

When I hit CD-6, it jumps into Direct mode and text from the iPod is no longer displayed on the HU.

The iPod displays the song info just like it is not plugged at all. The << & >> buttons still work.

On the HU display it alternates between CD 6-nn where nn is the track number & the word "Direct".

Last edited by steve.325i; 12-07-2009 at 09:07 PM. Reason: typo
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 08:26 PM   #124
Paco II

My Ride: 2005 325i
Much appreciated. Too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
Yup, confirmed...
Paco II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:06 AM   #125
BMWstudent

My Ride: hates potholes
ok, so I'm totally on the fence and would love some help. i have a 2001 330 with a 6 CD changer in the trunk and a tape up front. (I think tapes were out-dated by 2001, but thats just me)

anyway: I really don't know what to buy. I would rather not be limited to just using playlists. I want to put the ipod in the trunk or glovebox and never touch it again except for when i want to add songs every so often. I'd love to be able to go through all artists (Anberling - Zox) and select the one I want. Is this possible?

I don't really care which brand does this, but I don't see any point in buying a product that doesn't meet a few criteria:

I would like to be able to search through artists and CD's, I would like to be able to use at least two play lists (shuffle and top rated) easily, and skip songs while in use. I don't really need the FF and RW in mid-song feature. I try and mess with my radio as little as possible while driving, and don't mind just starting the song over if need be.

thats really all i want. to be honest I'm looking for something that is EASY (i want passengers to be able to use it), fast, no messy wires, and reliable.

any suggestions?

I almost feel like I could get a "meh" head unit for 150 and install that.. but I would rather just have it look OEM

thanks guys!

Last edited by BMWstudent; 12-09-2009 at 08:12 AM.
BMWstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:39 PM   #126
Arsevader

My Ride: '90 325i, '02 325it
I just bought and installed USA-Spec PA12 and couldn't be happier.

02 325i Touring HK Business CD w/ 6cd changer.

Install is a piece of cake on the touring. I haven't run the cable up to the front yet (a spring job I think) but the unit is performing flawlessly and seems to do everything I need it to.

- James

'85 E30 325e
'90 E30 325i
'02 E46 325it
'03 E46 320i

'96 Volvo 850R

Arsevader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:15 PM   #127
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWstudent View Post
I would rather not be limited to just using playlists.

I'd love to be able to go through all artists (Anberling - Zox) and select the one I want. Is this possible?
USA-Spec
- limits you to four playlist.
- RND button on the HU does toggle SONG SHUFFLE on/off on the iPod like you would expect.

Dice
- does all browsing by artist but I found it slow & painful
- RND button may enable REPEAT ONE on iPod. iPod must be disconnected & setting manual disabled.

Quote:
I want to put the ipod in the trunk or glovebox and never touch it again except for when i want to add songs every so often.
USA-Spec
- Yup, definitely works this way.

Dice
- have to set alarms to keep it awake or push iPod control to manual wake up.

Quote:
I would like to be able to search through artists and CD's, I would like to be able to use at least two play lists (shuffle and top rated) easily, and skip songs while in use. I don't really need the FF and RW in mid-song feature. I try and mess with my radio as little as possible while driving, and don't mind just starting the song over if need be.
USA-Spec
- My previous comment about the USA-Spec not supporting FF & RWD with in a song was incorrect. Delmarco taught me how to RTFM & it works as documented. Please see post # 81.

Dice
- Yup, push & hold << & >> to FF/RWD.

Quote:
thats really all i want. to be honest I'm looking for something that is EASY (i want passengers to be able to use it), fast, no messy wires, and reliable.
I know what you mean. My wife did not like the Dice & after eight months still was scared to touch the buttons.

Within the first week of having the USA-Spec installed she was comfortable with using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsevader View Post
I just bought and installed USA-Spec PA12 and couldn't be happier.

02 325i Touring HK Business CD w/ 6cd changer.

Install is a piece of cake on the touring. I haven't run the cable up to the front yet (a spring job I think) but the unit is performing flawlessly and seems to do everything I need it to.
Cool !!!
Old 12-11-2009, 01:05 PM   #128
ianmc54

My Ride: 01' 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsletch View Post
Does your 2001 HU require two successive button pushes to perform one task? I asked another forum member, E46Moonlight, who has a year 2000 HU and a USA Spec unit and he gets text display, but with the two button push functionality. You have to disable text display to get one button push functionality. I wonder if the cutoff for one button push WITH text is 2000/2001 headunits???
I'm interested in this answer also. jason330cic, do you have an answer?
ianmc54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 08:46 PM   #129
jason330cic

My Ride: 2001 330cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianmc54 View Post
I'm interested in this answer also. jason330cic, do you have an answer?
When I select a new playlist I have to press the button twice. Everything else like changing song tracks or volume works with one button press.

jason330cic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:43 AM   #130
dudelove

My Ride: Hybrid E46
OMG! Good Freakin' News!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsletch View Post
Does your 2001 HU require two successive button pushes to perform one task? I asked another forum member, E46Moonlight, who has a year 2000 HU and a USA Spec unit and he gets text display, but with the two button push functionality. You have to disable text display to get one button push functionality. I wonder if the cutoff for one button push WITH text is 2000/2001 headunits???
I just installed it in a 2000 Blaupunkt HU w/ iPhone 3G. It DOES NOT require two-successive button pushes for anything! I can change tracks, playlists, etc. with one button press &&& I still have Text Display!! I was totally surprised . I was ready to buy a newer HU and Antenna Amp just to solve this problem. I think they must have fixed this issue with the newer USA-Spec units (DICE still has this major issue as far as I know). They've been shipping the newer units for about a year now. btw, the newer iPhone 3G charging cables have a blue/yellow stripe sticker on the end.

I've only had it for a day, but this purchase is a no-brainer. Thanks to steve.325i, I saved the hassle and a good amount of $$ over the DICE solution.

Love:
  • The simplicity. Personally, playlists browsing is all I need.
  • Remembers the playlist, song, and resumes from the middle of the track even after I unplug my iPhone or turn the car off.
  • Plug-n-play installation.

Needs Improving:
  • Text display limited to 16 characters.
  • Text display takes a while to show up.
  • Faster track changes would be nice. Not bad though.
  • iPhone 3G sometimes lights up after a track change (I want to set this to on/off)
  • iPhone 3G sometimes does an annoying "charging" notification sound shortly after changing tracks. I have to switch to Silent.

To make it even better, I think I'll just pick up a used iPod and leave it connected in the car. Simple.

Last edited by dudelove; 12-16-2009 at 02:50 AM.
dudelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 10:26 AM   #131
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudelove View Post
I've only had it for a day, but this purchase is a no-brainer. Thanks to steve.325i, I saved the hassle and a good amount of $$ over the DICE solution.
Awesome. I am happy to hear the install went well.

re: your Needs Improvement list:

• Text display limited to 16 characters.
  • Text display takes a while to show up.
Absolutely agree.

Is your unit slower than in my video? This could be due to the communication being slower with the older HU ... I'm really not sure.

• iPhone 3G sometimes lights up after a track change (I want to set this to on/off)
  • iPhone 3G sometimes does an annoying "charging" notification sound shortly after changing tracks. I have to switch to Silent.
I can't comment on these since I a Blackberry person & I really never touch the iPod in my car.

Thank you for the specific info about the 3G cable coloring. I didn't know this.

Again, I glad to hear you are 'overall' happy with it.
Old 12-16-2009, 12:50 PM   #132
Arsevader

Quote:
Awesome. I am happy to hear the install went well.

re: your Needs Improvement list:

Is your unit slower than in my video? This could be due to the communication being slower with the older HU ... I'm really not sure.
I agree, but this is a wierd one. I have noticed that if I use the random mode on the head unit, the track changes are almost instant, but in normal mode there is a slight delay.

Quote:
I can't comment on these since I a Blackberry person & I really never touch the iPod in my car.
This is also true for the ipod touch, slightly annoying but I make sure the vol is muted on the ipod.

I am having a slight issue where sometimes my playlist 5 is not recognised, but it might be something I am doing.

- James

'85 E30 325e
'90 E30 325i
'02 E46 325it
'03 E46 320i

'96 Volvo 850R

Old 12-16-2009, 06:56 PM   #133
ianmc54

All i want to do is put all of my ipod songs on random and press up on my steering wheel to scroll though tracks.

Can I do this? Do i put the headunit on RND* or put the ipod on shuffle?

Also I don't have a mode button, so what do I press to go to my ipod?
Old 12-16-2009, 07:29 PM   #134
redrum0486

My Ride: 2011 328i xDrive
Does anyone know if the USA-Spec will work with a Prof CD HU from 2001?

| 2011 328i xDrive | Titanium Silver [B]|
Past: | 2004 330xi | Titanium Silver
redrum0486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:58 AM   #135
dudelove

My Ride: Hybrid E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325
My unit is about the same speed as yours. It's like 1.5-2 sec delay between track changes. Like Arsevader noticed, RND track changes for some reason don't seem to have this delay.

Just a note on how the FWD/RWD works in the older HU. You must press "RND"-->"m"-->then hold on FWD/RWD
Quote:
I agree, but this is a wierd one. I have noticed that if I use the random mode on the head unit, the track changes are almost instant, but in normal mode there is a slight delay.

I am having a slight issue where sometimes my playlist 5 is not recognised, but it might be something I am doing.
Yup, I noticed the same thing with RND mode being almost instant.

I noticed some weird random bugs too, like it didn't load my BMW1 playlist on startup one time. But I'm pretty sure it has to do with the more complex iPhone/Touch interface. I also learned to ignore the warning messages asking you to switch to Airplane mode every time you connect, or warning you device may not be compatible with iPod.

That's why I'm picking up a cheap stand-alone iPod and keeping it connected.

Quote:
All i want to do is put all of my ipod songs on random and press up on my steering wheel to scroll though tracks.

Yes you can. Select CD 5 to play All Songs then choose RND.

If you don't have a Mode button, you use CD button.

Last edited by dudelove; 12-17-2009 at 07:12 AM.
dudelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 08:47 AM   #136
Arsevader

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudelove View Post
I noticed some weird random bugs too, like it didn't load my BMW1 playlist on startup one time. But I'm pretty sure it has to do with the more complex iPhone/Touch interface. I also learned to ignore the warning messages asking you to switch to Airplane mode every time you connect, or warning you device may not be compatible with iPod.
I noticed now that I didn't read the updated insert properly. There is no real playlist 5. It's the 'all' playlist and 6 is the direct mode. So everything is working properly.

- James

'85 E30 325e
'90 E30 325i
'02 E46 325it
'03 E46 320i

'96 Volvo 850R

Old 12-17-2009, 09:20 AM   #137
steve.325i

Quote:

Yes, the RND button on the HU toggles the SHUFFLE=SONGS setting on the iPod.

Quote:
I'm not sure. I can't help with this one.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:53 PM   #138
ianmc54

Thanks.
So if I press CD(on my 2001 HU without MODE button)to get to my ipod, how do I switch over to playing a CD? Go back to the trunk and disconnect the Ipod?

Also, when I have RND mode activated on my HU and I'm playing a CD and I press for the next track on my HU or steering wheel, it goes to the next track. For example, I'm playing track 1 on CD, RND mode activated, I press up on my steering wheel controls, it goes to Track 2, not a shuffled song. Only when i let the song play all the way through does it go to a random track. Is that normal? Thats why i'm questioning the ipod RND interface. When RND* is activated, when I select next track on the HU or steering wheel, will it just go to the next track on playlist 5 or will it really go to a random song within playlist 5?
Old 12-17-2009, 05:09 PM   #139
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
ianmc54 - you just press the CD button again to go from the ipod and to cd disc

- I can't remember how the RND works for cd's but on my GROM when in RND mode 'next track" goes to a random track. Someone can confirm if the USA spec does that also ( I imagine it does).
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 06:30 PM   #140
steve.325i

Quote:
I noticed now that I didn't read the updated insert properly. There is no real playlist 5. It's the 'all' playlist and 6 is the direct mode. So everything is working properly.
Now I went back & re-read your original post. Sorry I skipped it the first time. Yeah, CD-5 is "all songs" mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen330 View Post
ianmc54 - you just press the CD button again to go from the ipod and to cd disc

- I can't remember how the RND works for cd's but on my GROM when in RND mode 'next track" goes to a random track. Someone can confirm if the USA spec does that also ( I imagine it does).
Confirmed.

Last edited by steve.325i; 12-17-2009 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Added multi quote