E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #1
dlopez

My Ride: 330iS
Question Completly Remove DSC

Yes, my car has recently light up the DSC crash mode in which, DSC and Brake lights turns on to indicate a ABS malfuntion, it is due to a module malfunction, not the speed sensors like every else solves it with. My2001 330 has been a great car, but the DSC has controlled my power for too long.

I have searched, all of the other threads and no one has disscused this matter. Could someone remove DSC from a e46? So that as soon as you turn the car on the DSC is completly off. To my knowledge ABS will be gone and braking will be different, and I dont care! How? Is the million dollar question.

Please post your knowledge and suggestions.

BTW> I am not the only one interested to solve the dilema, two friends of mine are too. One owns a e46 M3 and the other a e60 525i both are 2004's.
dlopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
TWIZTEDBMW
Banned

My Ride: 01 bmw 325i
also interested
TWIZTEDBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
djnekkon

My Ride: MB3ci Regensburg Bav
Get a life insurance right after that dude!! good luck!
djnekkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:20 PM   #4
SKIPPY PB

My Ride: YZ125
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlopez View Post
Yes, my car has recently light up the DSC crash mode in which, DSC and Brake lights turns on to indicate a ABS malfuntion, it is due to a module malfunction, not the speed sensors like every else solves it with. My2001 330 has been a great car, but the DSC has controlled my power for too long.

I have searched, all of the other threads and no one has disscused this matter. Could someone remove DSC from a e46? So that as soon as you turn the car on the DSC is completly off. To my knowledge ABS will be gone and braking will be different, and I dont care! How? Is the million dollar question.

Please post your knowledge and suggestions.

BTW> I am not the only one interested to solve the dilema, two friends of mine are too. One owns a e46 M3 and the other a e60 525i both are 2004's.
Dude what? Of course you can take off abs and DSC. Why wouldn't you be able too? Actually i can see why, since M is now for marketing but the e46 generation was a straight BMW. Yes you can take it off but the question is do you want too? Your friend with the M3 is better off without it but in a normal 3 series your better off having it because DSC reproduces the effects of an LSD allowing you to put the power down sooner on corner exit without loseing it.

Get an LSD and then go old school. ABS is pointless, its for people that dont know how to drive. In the old days they made do without it and did just fine. And unless under conditions, you should never be getting into ABS anyway.

Do some google searches and all that. My guess is taking out the mechanical components and physically removing the DSC and ABS units from the car is going to be black and white and fairly easy for those who are mechanically incline.

However its still going ot be in the system, so your going to need to get some "custom computer work" done. This isn;t uncommon, tons of people have done this before you.

I mean i dont like talking shit about forums i like but this forums quality of hardcore enthusiast has really dropped to a crowd that likes buying there cars for status symbols and then they rice them out. People who would rather do angel eyes, body kits, tail lights, and stupid glowing lights over things like performance brakes and suspension mods. Its still a great forum and theres still a bunch of real enthusiast on it but if your looking to get your speed game on hope on BF.c or bimmerfest, just because youll find more track junkies there.
SKIPPY PB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #5
SKIPPY PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnekkon View Post
Get a life insurance right after that dude!! good luck!
Yeah its no joke, not having it and not knowing how to control the car without it can put you in a bad situation. Learnin a big parking lot where you can do things at speed. Im talking like 50 mph and locking them up, sliding all over the place and stuff. Open diffs and drifting just dont mix.
I used to drift all the time, about a year of drifting experiance, but anything can happen, i laid down my e46 after going to far on a slide one time. But in all honesty it was worth it, i wasn;t surprised when it happened i knew what i did wrong, learned a little bit. Suffered from losing my e46 but hopped into an e36 and i love it. People say was it worth it to loose your nice car your and idiot. But fuck yeah it was. Doing about 3K miles of drifting on direzzas is always fun. Everyone fucks up just be prepared for it and thats all that counts. Its those oh shit moments, many i didn;t know it was gunna happen tha make you a bad driver. Even though thats the story the cops get lol

I own a 94 325is and it comes with no form of traction control, no abs, no DSC or ASC.

Not having any of that is better than having it. Instead of learning to rely on computer programs to correct what you fucked up you learn things like car control and learn to improve upon your skills. Simply having DSC is why people are scared to drive rear wheel. Yes a RWD car will loose control every now and then and the back will swing out but you shouldn;t be afraid of that. Going around a turn sideways is the same as whipping a turn with control. You still have to balance the car on a limit.

This guys got the right idea hear and obviously isn't a pussy. Hes product for a really good driver in the making or possibly made.

To OP ill look into the whole thing for you, and when i find the info you want. Maybe some DIYs ill let you know. Im just a little lazy so give me a day or two. You might want to PM me cause this is something im going to forget to do. Congradulations on stepping up to the plate though you dont see good threads like this every day.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:37 PM   #6
Rene325ci

My Ride: a car
I don't know about BMW, but I worked on a Porsche RSR and all we had to do to disengage the ABS for the track was pull the ABS fuse. I also did this to my old 928s4 and it did it.

FYI I don't recomend it if you don't have the LSD our cars run open diff and the DSC actually makes a huge difference in our rides.
I am fan of ABS myself, but I prefer not to have it on the track.
Rene325ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:25 PM   #7
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy pb View Post
dude what? Of course you can take off abs and dsc. Why wouldn't you be able too? Actually i can see why, since m is now for marketing but the e46 generation was a straight bmw. Yes you can take it off but the question is do you want too? Your friend with the m3 is better off without it but in a normal 3 series your better off having it because dsc reproduces the effects of an lsd allowing you to put the power down sooner on corner exit without loseing it.

Get an lsd and then go old school. Abs is pointless, its for people that dont know how to drive. In the old days they made do without it and did just fine. And unless under conditions, you should never be getting into abs anyway.

Do some google searches and all that. My guess is taking out the mechanical components and physically removing the dsc and abs units from the car is going to be black and white and fairly easy for those who are mechanically incline.

However its still going ot be in the system, so your going to need to get some "custom computer work" done. This isn;t uncommon, tons of people have done this before you.

i mean i dont like talking shit about forums i like but this forums quality of hardcore enthusiast has really dropped to a crowd that likes buying there cars for status symbols and then they rice them out. People who would rather do angel eyes, body kits, tail lights, and stupid glowing lights over things like performance brakes and suspension mods. its still a great forum and theres still a bunch of real enthusiast on it but if your looking to get your speed game on hope on bf.c or bimmerfest, just because youll find more track junkies there.
qft!
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:58 PM   #8
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
You are in over your head if you want to remove DSC.

How do I know? I've done it, along with removing the OEM braking system and running a Tilton race setup.

The costs were substantial, as most of the DSC programming is embedded in the DME coding. I paid a LOT to have that written out, along with a number of other things.

For the brakes, you will have 2 options. 1.) Keep the ABS system and pay $2k for the proper wiring to run it without the DME. 2.) Install an aftermarket pedal box like a Tilton, which will be at least $1k.

If you've got $4k to play with, you'll be in good shape.

Purchasing a new ABS unit is a much cheaper option at just over $1k.

Last edited by PEI330Ci; 12-15-2009 at 08:11 PM.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #9
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIPPY PB View Post
ABS is pointless, its for people that dont know how to drive. In the old days they made do without it and did just fine.
Hans Stuck absolutely loved the ABS on the M3 GTR, he went out of his way to compliment it a number of times while doing in-car commentary, and outside of the car in the paddock at the "Ring".

Bosch makes a stand alone Motorsport ABS system that makes it way into a surprising number of Race and Street applications. People don't mind the $10k price, as it really is that good.

I would classify myself as a fairly hardcore BMW enthusiast.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:25 PM   #10
SKIPPY PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pei330ci View Post
Hans Stuck absolutely loved the ABS on the M3 GTR, he went out of his way to compliment it a number of times while doing in-car commentary, and outside of the car in the paddock at the "Ring".

Bosch makes a stand alone Motorsport ABS system that makes it way into a surprising number of Race and Street applications. People don't mind the $10k price, as it really is that good.

I would classify myself as a fairly hardcore BMW enthusiast.
I agree that your a hardcore enthusiast along with everyone else in this thread. There are tons of people on here that know the real deal, most of them know a lot more than me. I wasn't trying to dis any of you. Im just saying as these cars get cheaper and reach the 10 year old mark they are getting scooped up by people who shouldn't have them.

I apologize for my comments as they were very one sided and i didn't explain them well. I agree with you that there are ABS systems that do wonders and are a very positive asset but like you said yourself 10K. None of them are really in our price range. If we had 10K to drop just on ABS we would all be driving ferraris, and the bimmer would be the daily with a sick 500 whp turbo on there. I was just talking realistically. If your looking to improve your skills and you are willing to sacrafice everyday driveability and such for some performance, screw the abs.
Without it your skills will be honed alot better, you will feel more connected with the car. I interpreted this guys question in the sense he was building a race car or race spec car.

Last edited by SKIPPY PB; 12-15-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:27 PM   #11
SKIPPY PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
qft!
My bad, I really didn't mean it like that. What i meant to say is there are alot more "ricer" type people finding there way on to this forum nowadays. The hardcore guys still remain and there awesome, didn;t mean to disrespect like that. Just came out wrong and i didn;t realize it. But there are alot more people who dont know jack about there cars on here and only want to do show mods. Put 19" rims on there car with stock brakes cause they look cool. Things that have no purpose and only do harm to performance. If they know that and thats what they want thats cool. But most people I find do these things and dont understand the effect they will have. They just do them.

Anyone know what i mean? Im shooting myself in the foot here lol. I just dissed the whole board on accident

Last edited by SKIPPY PB; 12-15-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:42 PM   #12
330I6SPD

My Ride: 2005 330I 6Spd.
Good luck getting your insurance company to pay a claim if you are involved in a serious accident and the vehicle is inspected! An ex co-workers spouse is senior adjuster on total loss claims with Mercury Insurance. She has told me of several instances where claims have not been paid due to post accident inspections that revealed modification/removal of safety systems/equipment! And if you are found liable for the accident and it is established that safety equipment/systems have been removed/modified, well, walk into THAT courtroom backwards, bent over, pants around your ankles and carrying a BIG tube of KY!!!
330I6SPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:46 PM   #13
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
If you disable the ABS, you'll have way too much rear brake bias. The car is actually better with ABS. You have one of the best engineered braking systems that comes on a street car. Getting rid of the ABS is like disconnecting two of the coil packs because old school M3's were only 4 cylinder. Absolutely makes no sense. There's a reason why the BMW's in Koni Challenge can outbrake any other car out there. So, keep the ABS. As for the DSC, just press the DSC button for 5 seconds and you'll be fine. That's what we do and it works like a champ.

So, fix the system, turn off the DSC when you really don't need it and enjoy a wonderful braking system.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:55 PM   #14
SKIPPY PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post
If you disable the ABS, you'll have way too much rear brake bias. The car is actually better with ABS. You have one of the best engineered braking systems that comes on a street car. Getting rid of the ABS is like disconnecting two of the coil packs because old school M3's were only 4 cylinder. Absolutely makes no sense. There's a reason why the BMW's in Koni Challenge can outbrake any other car out there. So, keep the ABS. As for the DSC, just press the DSC button for 5 seconds and you'll be fine. That's what we do and it works like a champ.

So, fix the system, turn off the DSC when you really don't need it and enjoy a wonderful braking system.
But what about with a BBK?

Yeah I guess your right because the rear brakes wouldn't do as much without it. But from my understanding theres ways around this when setting up your brake system, IF you do a custom that is. It which you use two seperate systems for the front and back. Or am i mistaken?

Last edited by SKIPPY PB; 12-15-2009 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 09:03 PM   #15
SKIPPY PB

Is it just me or is this dude building a race car?
Old 12-15-2009, 09:37 PM   #16
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIPPY PB View Post
My bad, I really didn't mean it like that. What i meant to say is there are alot more "ricer" type people finding there way on to this forum nowadays. The hardcore guys still remain and there awesome, didn;t mean to disrespect like that. Just came out wrong and i didn;t realize it. But there are alot more people who dont know jack about there cars on here and only want to do show mods. Put 19" rims on there car with stock brakes cause they look cool. Things that have no purpose and only do harm to performance. If they know that and thats what they want thats cool. But most people I find do these things and dont understand the effect they will have. They just do them.

Anyone know what i mean? Im shooting myself in the foot here lol. I just dissed the whole board on accident
QFT= Quote for truth. I agreed with you the first time.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 01:56 PM   #17
SKIPPY PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
QFT= Quote for truth. I agreed with you the first time.
Oh haha. I thought it was a typo on WTF? lol

Word though. Atleast the old school guys are holdin it down on here.

Tags
abs, dsc, malfunction, remove, speed sensor