E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2010, 10:10 PM   #1
AMCINK

My Ride: 2000 323CI
Those window wise men please answer this

My driver side window rolls up and down ok; however it does not do the up and down motion when you close or open the door. What could it be?

I've been told that the sensor to do this might be inside the actuator therefore a whole actuator swap or could I repair the existing one
AMCINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:16 PM   #2
ProchaineStation

My Ride: Metro, Bus, Bike
Send a message via MSN to ProchaineStation
so how do you do it.
Halfway

Montreal, world transit & infrastructure enthusiast.
www.youtube.com/AntoDamicoShow
ProchaineStation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:31 PM   #3
AMCINK

roll the window all the way up and then carefully guide the window with your left hand under the door trim and close it.
by the way I also have the stuck door syndrome - will this also tell me that the actuator needs to be replace???
Old 01-07-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
AMCINK

anyone?????
Old 01-07-2010, 01:29 PM   #5
MysticBlau330Ci

My Ride: 330Ci '04
when your door is open do you get a door open symbol on your dash?
Old 01-07-2010, 02:51 PM   #6
AMCINK

^^^^^^^ No!! I'm not getting the open door symbol
Old 01-07-2010, 05:26 PM   #7
MysticBlau330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMCINK View Post
^^^^^^^ No!! I'm not getting the open door symbol
if there is no 'open door' indicator on when the other door/trunk is open I think your General Module is acting up and may need to be reset. Try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and see if that works. If you do get a 'door open' indicator in the other door then looks like your sensor is bad. Try the battery disconnect for that too.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:29 PM   #8
DiscoStu
Sienna Red Coupe

My Ride: 2013 VW GLI
I had this same problem on occasion years ago and as bizarre as it sounds, a new lock cylinder in the door fixed the problem. Now my lock cylinder completely failed which is why I had it replaced, but it also in turn fixed my window issues.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:22 PM   #9
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
I really doubt it is the General Module that would cause the lack of door open indicator. More likely the door lock actuator as that is where the sensor is for door ajar or the wiring between the door and the chassis. Unless there were a whole bunch of things acting funny I would not suspect the GM. The GM is solid expect for the door lock relays of course.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:24 PM   #10
scottjoh

My Ride: '99 323i & '02 540i
Quote:
by the way I also have the stuck door syndrome - will this also tell me that the actuator needs to be replace???
Please explain what stuck door syndrome is.
scottjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:25 PM   #11
Define ///M3

My Ride: Dream 2 B Suprchrgd
this is going on in the other bimmer. im curious

AKA Huggy1989
"I expect to pass through life but once. If, therefore, there can be any kindness I can show, or any good thing I can do to any fellow being, let me do it now, and not defer or neglect it, as I shall not pass this way again."- WP
Define ///M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:11 PM   #12
AMCINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjoh View Post
Please explain what stuck door syndrome is.
The "stuck door syndrome" is when you try to open the door and pull the handle and the door does not open on the first try; you then need to pull it again sometime several times (with more induced force) to actually open the door.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:24 PM   #13
MysticBlau330Ci

Yeah, my post was a little 'off'. What I meant was if ALL doors and trunk etc do not show open then it MAY be the GM which I too doubt. If it's just the one door then yes, more likely actuator/sensor or wiring. I would still try the 'battery' reset first.
Old 01-07-2010, 07:28 PM   #14
skang330

My Ride: 2005 E46 330ci
Send a message via AIM to skang330
Quote:
The "stuck door syndrome" is when you try to open the door and pull the handle and the door does not open on the first try; you then need to pull it again sometime several times (with more induced force) to actually open the door.
oh no this happens to me sometime
skang330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:35 PM   #15
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Um, I hope this 'stuck door' syndrome isn't just that the door is locked, meaning that the first pull shouldn't open the door...the second pull should.

Also, I thought that you could have a permanent setting where the door locks whenever you go above a certain speed (like you can set the car to have day time lights on or not). Anyway, I hope this 'issue' isn't mistakenly thought of as a glitch, when it's not.

That said, if it is repeated tries to open the door, that certainly is an issue.

Also, in my 16 years with BMWs, I've got to say the the 'disconnect the battery for 10 mins.' idea has saved me many times for a variety of electrical gremlins...hope it's a simple as that for you OP!

Doug
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:54 PM   #16
York

My Ride: 01 330Ci
Quote:
My driver side window rolls up and down ok; however it does not do the up and down motion when you close or open the door. What could it be?
Of course I can't find it right now, but I saw in another thread that the up/down feature is controlled by the door lock actuator.

Here's one talking about weather causing the issue:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...p+down+feature

Last edited by York; 01-07-2010 at 08:02 PM.
York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:45 PM   #17
blk04zhpcpe

My Ride: 2004 330ci zhp coupe
if the "up and down thing" you're referring to is the slight drop in the window's height before the door opens or the slight rise in the window's height after the door is closed, i have had each window take its' turn losing this functionality. each time, i reset the offending window by rolling it down all the way, then immediately rolling it back up all the way but continued to hold the window switch in the rollup position an additional 20 seconds or so after it had reached full travel. this was successful each time. it seems to memorize the end stop. i got this tip from a similar thread on this forum some months ago.
blk04zhpcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 11:27 AM   #18
AMCINK

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk04zhpcpe View Post
if the "up and down thing" you're referring to is the slight drop in the window's height before the door opens or the slight rise in the window's height after the door is closed, i have had each window take its' turn losing this functionality. each time, i reset the offending window by rolling it down all the way, then immediately rolling it back up all the way but continued to hold the window switch in the rollup position an additional 20 seconds or so after it had reached full travel. this was successful each time. it seems to memorize the end stop. i got this tip from a similar thread on this forum some months ago.
Yea! I have try this method but I hold the button down for only 10 seconds I will try the 20 seconds rule adn report back
Thanks
Old 01-09-2010, 01:44 PM   #19
York

My Ride: 01 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by blk04zhpcpe View Post
My heck, I think this works? I just popped out the overhead panel to prep my Homelink install. I used the passenger door and when I closed it, the window did not move up the last bit. I opened and close it a few times with no luck. So, I sat inside with the door closed, lowered the window all the way and then raised it all the way and held the window switch for an extra 10 seconds (second try would have been 20 seconds) and the window now works as before. I'll watch the door to see if this fix lasts. Sweet!
Old 02-17-2010, 10:30 PM   #20
warrior9504

My Ride: 330ci
Hey AMCINK,

did you ever fix your problem? I am having the exact problem with my 01 330ci.
warrior9504 is offline   Reply With Quote