E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 10:18 AM   #21
hi its me alec

My Ride: BMWs + 1988 Pathy
Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Don't do angel eyes if you're not touching the bumpers, especially on an xi (ridiculously high/goofy ride height.) Blue angel eyes are one of the riciest trends in this car community, I don't get why every new person wants them. I got them too, don't get me wrong, but I'm just telling you this because I grew out of them in about a month and seriously regretted spending so much time with them installed. Once I realized how lame it looked I just threw everything away. I was 17 at the time too, which should say a lot, because all the other teenagers loved it and got pissed at me for ditching them because of how 'dope' they looked.

Step 1 - lower the car and it will look WAY WAY better. Put decent wheels on in the summer and it jumps up yet another level. Wheels and drop are the 2 most important things you can do to a car. I always say that if you don't do both, don't bother with anything on the exterior. Period. It's better to be stock than ugly... period.

Step 2 - xenon headlights. you can do this first if you want, but this is something that makes everything look nicer no matter what. blue eyes make xenons look tacky.

Step 3 - miscellaneous (black grills, clears, tint, black window trim, painted moldings, whatever the hell you want to do.)

But since I've dedicated pretty much my whole life thusfar to modifying cars, I can tell you with some level of certainty that wheels + drop + xenon is the formula for a car that looks really great.

Last edited by hi its me alec; 01-12-2010 at 10:24 AM.
hi its me alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:34 AM   #22
ATF

My Ride: plows snow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi its me alec View Post
Step 3 - miscellaneous (black grills, clears, tint, black window trim, painted moldings, whatever the hell you want to do.).
He's got black window trim already

Nick | BMWCCA 403399 | flickr
ATF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:37 AM   #23
hi its me alec

Send a message via AIM to hi its me alec Send a message via MSN to hi its me alec
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATF View Post
He's got black window trim already
Damn you 325s.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #24
kylek325i

My Ride: 2003 325xi sport
If you really want to improve your car performance wise, invest in tires. Nice tires on nice rims will do more for you than any cheeseball spoiler, plastic trim piece, or chrome 6" muffler. Watch out modifying the suspension on the xi; dont change too much geometry or you may end up with problems. Just keep it clean and remember that some of the smallest details really make a car unique and impressive.
kylek325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:05 PM   #25
neversummer

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325XI
I've been looking at angel eyes with a stock bumper. Haha holy **** it looks so goofy thanks for telling me. And the problem is I don't know if i want to drop b/c of fitment issues with the 18" vb3. If i do a drop I want rims that fit without cutting fenders or rolling fenders to make it sit good. I'm gonna do some research on it so don't yell at me for not using the search bar this time.
neversummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 10:16 PM   #26
Studdly_Studright

My Ride: 135i
Start with clears then get h&r springs. They gave me a pretty decent drop.....then wheels and a bumper for sure
Old 01-13-2010, 06:51 AM   #27
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
Quote:
Don't do angel eyes if you're not touching the bumpers, especially on an xi (ridiculously high/goofy ride height.) Blue angel eyes are one of the riciest trends in this car community, I don't get why every new person wants them. I got them too, don't get me wrong, but I'm just telling you this because I grew out of them in about a month and seriously regretted spending so much time with them installed. Once I realized how lame it looked I just threw everything away. I was 17 at the time too, which should say a lot, because all the other teenagers loved it and got pissed at me for ditching them because of how 'dope' they looked.

Step 1 - lower the car and it will look WAY WAY better. Put decent wheels on in the summer and it jumps up yet another level. Wheels and drop are the 2 most important things you can do to a car. I always say that if you don't do both, don't bother with anything on the exterior. Period. It's better to be stock than ugly... period.

Step 2 - xenon headlights. you can do this first if you want, but this is something that makes everything look nicer no matter what. blue eyes make xenons look tacky.

Step 3 - miscellaneous (black grills, clears, tint, black window trim, painted moldings, whatever the hell you want to do.)

But since I've dedicated pretty much my whole life thusfar to modifying cars, I can tell you with some level of certainty that wheels + drop + xenon is the formula for a car that looks really great.
he pretty much nailed it.

if dont want to go the clear corners/sides/tails route, you can go the smoked/tinted route.

for bumpers you have choices of:
M3
M3 CSL
MTechI <- not very common unless it came stock with the car (330i sport package)
MTechII <- stock on 330 ZHP (Performance Package)

For BMWs it seems pretty general to do drop+lights+wheels.
For lights people replace the amber lights with either clear or smoked (and/or tinted in my case). They also install angel eyes.
If you car did not come with xenon projectors stock, I would go with the P46s... which is aftermarket xenon projectors that have angel eyes installed.

Later on, you can get exhaust, or just do a muffler/resonator delete which is way cheaper and still sounds great.
There arent much performance mods you can do that yield serious hp... so people tend to focus on looks and handling. For the most hp per $ spent you need to go FI, in my experience and opinion.

Congratulations on your new car, and happy modding!!!!

PS. besides modding, keep in mind to keep cash for maintenance... which is way more important.

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:13 AM   #28
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
Quote:
Originally Posted by neversummer View Post
I've been looking at angel eyes with a stock bumper. Haha holy **** it looks so goofy thanks for telling me.

I like it on mine.....

Edit: And also, this is your car...do what you think looks good and be happy with it. Don't just follow the trends because everyone else has already done it and you want to fit in with the cool kids. Now don't get me wrong, some mod's look like complete crap -- but i am not going to be the one to tell somebody they can't do something to their car b/c it isn't what I would do. just my .02, good luck with the new car

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.

Last edited by IdahoToyo; 01-13-2010 at 09:21 AM.
IdahoToyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 10:59 AM   #29
mujjuman

angel eyes on stock bumper look good to me.

but yeah, most of the mods have been done already... theres not a huge variety. basically, only a few things look good on our cars, and all of the combinations have been done.
just choose one and do what u gotta do lol

2003 325xi 5MT
sig by Solidjake
Old 01-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #30
Illogical_Mind

My Ride: 2000 323Ci Conv.

lol don't listen to them, they don't know what they are talking about. This is the route you should be taking
Illogical_Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:10 PM   #31
mujjuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illogical_Mind View Post

lol don't listen to them, they don't know what they are talking about. This is the route you should be taking
wow thas sick yo. what body kit is that? JDM eclipse styles yo DSM

2003 325xi 5MT
sig by Solidjake
Old 01-13-2010, 12:36 PM   #32
wat3rbug

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325 xi
Quote:
While I agree on the sentiment about angel eyes without a bumper, I'm not sure where you get the blue angel eye thing from.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:30 PM   #33
Illogical_Mind

My Ride: 2000 323Ci Conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mujjuman View Post
wow thas sick yo. what body kit is that? JDM eclipse styles yo DSM
Hey... I like my DSM, Don't bash the whole community because of clowns that watch fast and furious
Illogical_Mind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #34
c.j.dono

My Ride: 323i
to make things easy. Clean up all the amber lights, springs/coils, wheels, bumper.
c.j.dono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:27 PM   #35
hi its me alec

Quote:
Originally Posted by wat3rbug View Post
While I agree on the sentiment about angel eyes without a bumper, I'm not sure where you get the blue angel eye thing from.
I dunno, it's more of a personal preference thing. I thought it just looked tacky and 'HAY LOOK AT ME!!' They never came blue from the factory.

Here's a picture of my car with stock bumper, stock suspension, and bright blue angel eyes. When I consider what I think looks good now, I myself for having a car that looked like this. I stunted all around town until an hour after dusk with just the angel eyes on. Gheyness

I replaced them with nice xenons and amber stock-like angel eyes that you can't even see during the day.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:30 PM   #36
hi its me alec

Quote:
I've been looking at angel eyes with a stock bumper. Haha holy **** it looks so goofy thanks for telling me. And the problem is I don't know if i want to drop b/c of fitment issues with the 18" vb3. If i do a drop I want rims that fit without cutting fenders or rolling fenders to make it sit good. I'm gonna do some research on it so don't yell at me for not using the search bar this time.
There's no fitment issue, just don't get oversized tires. Buy the wheels, fit them on the car, take pictures, and ask me what size tires to get with whatever suspension you're getting. If you get 265/45/18 then of course it will rub like a motherfvcker. I have pretty aggressive 19x10s on my car without rolling the fenders, so anything can be done.

Old 01-13-2010, 04:40 PM   #37
neversummer

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325XI
I just hate the look of the angel eye and then the black plastic bar that's under the headlight. I was looking at all angel eyes with aftermarket front bumpers so I didn't realize it until you guys brought it up. Still undecided on front bumper but clears and replacement headlight lenses are a definite. You guys think I should order the drop first or rims first? I think drop would make more sense b/c I can install it, see how it rides all winter and then when March/April rolls around order the rims. Suggestions?

[FONT="Tahoma"]2002 325XI
neversummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #38
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
I would start with the drop and do the rims later, wheels can look very odd if the car is not dropped- especially since you have an Xi.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:48 PM   #39
mujjuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illogical_Mind View Post
Hey... I like my DSM, Don't bash the whole community because of clowns that watch fast and furious
my bad dude.

Quote:
I just hate the look of the angel eye and then the black plastic bar that's under the headlight. I was looking at all angel eyes with aftermarket front bumpers so I didn't realize it until you guys brought it up. Still undecided on front bumper but clears and replacement headlight lenses are a definite. You guys think I should order the drop first or rims first? I think drop would make more sense b/c I can install it, see how it rides all winter and then when March/April rolls around order the rims. Suggestions?
drop first

2003 325xi 5MT
sig by Solidjake
Old 01-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #40
wat3rbug

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325 xi
Quote:
I replaced them with nice xenons and amber stock-like angel eyes that you can't even see during the day.
I see your point on Halogens. I've always had xenons, and the bumper and spoiler was done before the drop. I guess I don't notice because the AE's are the same color as my headlights and they are offset by the fogs and the turn sigs that have the soft yellowish light to not make it so much garish at night.

I had DRL on and it looked like crap in the day with yellowish light surrounded by white.

Last edited by wat3rbug; 01-14-2010 at 02:52 PM.
wat3rbug is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
325xi awd, exterior, mods, orient blue, rims