E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 07:54 PM   #1
CMT1729

Finance nerds, please enter this thread

Have any of you heard of using kernel regression for extracting alpha? If so do you have any examples? I feel that the typical method is too inaccurate for my needs.

"What's all this I hear about a brownie in motion?" - Accountant
CMT1729 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
BmwMan325

My Ride: 2011 Infiniti G37s
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMT1729 View Post
Have any of you heard of using kernel regression for extracting alpha? If so do you have any examples? I feel that the typical method is too inaccurate for my needs.
I don't know what Kernel regression is but I know some Linear regression
Old 01-17-2010, 08:25 PM   #3
rapier7

My Ride: Subaru BRZ
Got a trading algorithm hooked up to a brokerage API ready to execute orders on your behalf there, chief?

If anyone in here knew exactly what you were talking about, they'd be working at Citadel, Goldman-Sachs, or any other proprietary-trading hedge fund and pulling down 6-7 figures.
Old 01-17-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
CMT1729

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapier7 View Post
Got a trading algorithm hooked up to a brokerage API ready to execute orders on your behalf there, chief?

If anyone in here knew exactly what you were talking about, they'd be working at Citadel, Goldman-Sachs, or any other proprietary-trading hedge fund and pulling down 6-7 figures.
There are a handful of members here who I'd say could potentially know in the financial realm, but what's more is that there may be people with signal processing (electrical-engineering) backgrounds who could chime in.

Old 01-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #5
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
http://people.revoledu.com/kardi/tut...ion/index.html

The math seems simple enough... not sure what it's used for exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:32 PM   #6
Back2Basics

My Ride: is an instigator
i was typing some smart ass response to this thread and i hit a few keys by accident, now all the As on the screen are highlighted

Back2Basics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
CMT1729

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafboy View Post
http://people.revoledu.com/kardi/tut...ion/index.html

The math seems simple enough... not sure what it's used for exactly.
The math is easy enough, but applying it is the issue

Old 01-17-2010, 08:42 PM   #8
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMT1729 View Post
The math is easy enough, but applying it is the issue
lol...exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:46 AM   #9
R3IGNman

My Ride: it depends
Quote:

Prop trading firms are not hedge funds, and Investment Banks are most definitely NOT prop firms or hedge funds. Don't confuse the sell-side with the buy-side.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:42 AM   #10
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3IGNman View Post
OP, this isn't high finance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
If there is one thing I despise most it's blacks always pulling the race card. It's so annoying and is often misplaced.
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:52 AM   #11
slo323ci

My Ride: 00 323ci
Quote:
OP, this isn't high finance.
I love you R3GNman haha I can imagine you in a boardroom and just telling people there wrong haha
slo323ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:57 AM   #12
98E36M3

My Ride: eurotags 4 toolbags

~*~* Removed - Tim330i *~*~
98E36M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #13
R3IGNman

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo323ci View Post
I love you R3GNman haha I can imagine you in a boardroom and just telling people there wrong haha
lol
Old 01-18-2010, 11:45 AM   #14
Dcha

My Ride: Mkodama's sister
Send a message via AIM to Dcha
Nerds on e46f? We fvck b1tches and acquire mass amounts of currency.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:46 AM   #15
rapier7

My Ride: Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Prop trading firms are not hedge funds, and Investment Banks are most definitely NOT prop firms or hedge funds. Don't confuse the sell-side with the buy-side.
You think places like Citadel and Goldman-Sachs don't have their own in-house proprietary trading algorithms? It doesn't matter whether you're an investment bank like Goldman-Sachs trying to profit from the buy/sell spread or a hedge fund like Citadel trying to turn a buck into a buck twenty. Both companies own hedge funds and both companies have their own proprietary trading algorithms.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:49 AM   #16
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcha View Post
nerds on e46f? We fvck b1tches and acquire mass amounts of currency.
+1
Old 01-18-2010, 02:09 PM   #17
Chris3Duke

Quote:
you think places like citadel and goldman-sachs don't have their own in-house proprietary trading algorithms? It doesn't matter whether you're an investment bank like goldman-sachs trying to profit from the buy/sell spread or a hedge fund like citadel trying to turn a buck into a buck twenty. Both companies own hedge funds and both companies have their own proprietary trading algorithms.
qft
Chris3Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 02:36 PM   #18
R3IGNman

Quote:
You think places like Citadel and Goldman-Sachs don't have their own in-house proprietary trading algorithms? It doesn't matter whether you're an investment bank like Goldman-Sachs trying to profit from the buy/sell spread or a hedge fund like Citadel trying to turn a buck into a buck twenty. Both companies own hedge funds and both companies have their own proprietary trading algorithms.
Did I say that these firms didn't have prop trading subsidiaries? The answer is no, I did not, because having a damn prop trading sub is totally different than being "any other proprietary trading hedge fund," pal. As I said, a prop firm is not a hedge fund, so that was the first mistake. Hedge funds raise outside capital, mostly from institutional investors, therefore creating a limited partnership. They make their earnings from a 2-3% management fee on the committed capital from the LP's, then they earn 20% in carried interest on profits with 80% going to the LP's. This is contrary to the prop trading firm, which doesn't have a management entity nor a limited partnership entity, instead, they use the firms own capital for trading.

And I don't think you understand IBD either. GS makes most of its profits from advising corporate clients in M&A, either representing a buyer or seller, and then capturing a huge transaction fee upon the deal closing. Again, they do have a S&T division, but primarily, GS is the global leader corporate advisory services (M&A, debt or equity capital raising...etc).

And no, Citadel doesn't "own a hedge fund," it is a hedge fund. But as I said, even though GS has a hedge fund affiliate, the firm is not considered a hedge fund, much less a "prop trading hedge fund" lol, as that's an oxymoron, generally speaking.

And like I said guy, don't confuse the sell-side with the buy-side. IB = sell-side; HF/PE/VC/Prop/etc. = buy-side.

Last edited by R3IGNman; 01-18-2010 at 04:03 PM.
R3IGNman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:10 PM   #19
CMT1729

Quote:
Proprietary algorithm =! Proprietary trading, they're two different things.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #20
Chris3Duke

Quote:
Did I say that these firms didn't have prop trading subsidiaries? The answer is no, I did not, because having a damn prop trading sub is totally different than being "any other proprietary trading hedge fund," pal. As I said, a prop firm is not a hedge fund, so that was the first mistake. Hedge funds raise outside capital, mostly from institutional investors, therefore creating a limited partnership. They make their earnings from a 2-3% management fee on the committed capital from the LP's, then they earn 20% in carried interest on profits with 80% going to the LP's. This is contrary to the prop trading firm, which doesn't have a management entity nor a limited partnership entity, instead, they use the firms own capital for trading.

And I don't think you understand IBD either. GS makes most of its profits from advising corporate clients in M&A, either representing a buyer or seller, and then capturing a huge transaction fee upon the deal closing. Again, they do have a S&T division, but primarily, GS is the global leader corporate advisory services (M&A, debt or equity capital raising...etc).

And no, Citadel doesn't "own a hedge fund," it is a hedge fund. But as I said, even though GS has a hedge fund affiliate, the firm is not considered a hedge fund, much less a "prop trading hedge fund" lol, as that's an oxymoron, generally speaking.
This isn't quite accurate. First Citadel. They are no longer just a hedge fund, and haven't been for 8 years. They're a diversified financial institution that consists of two subsidiaries, Citadel Asset Management (what you're thinking of), and Citadel Securities (investment banking services, S&T, etc.). So I think it's fair to say they own a hedge fund. Saying they are just a hedge fund is like saying Bain is just a management consulting firm (they also have a huge PE group, VC group, etc.).

You have the right idea on hedge funds, although I'll add you used a generic carry (80/20), and that can vary based on the fund. Also, hedge funds are just one form of "funds".

Finally, GS. You're way off here. I'm sitting here staring at their headquarters in lower Manhattan. From their Q3 earnings:

- Net Revenue from Investment Banking: $899 million, of which $325 million was from advisory services, and underwriting accounted for $574 million.

- Net Revenue from Trading was over $10 billion! Of that, FICC (Fixed Income, Currencies, and Commodities) accounted for $6 billion, and equities were $2.8 billion, and principal investments were $1.2 billion.

- Asset Management revenues were $974 million, and Securities Services were $472 million.

Your post focused just on advisory services, which represent only about 2.5% of Goldman's revenue. Yes, they are the leader in corporate advisory, but they generate a lot more money from.... their trading algorithms.
Chris3Duke is offline   Reply With Quote