E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 01-21-2010, 02:12 PM   #161
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Not sure if this came up yet in the thread as I asked it before and Steve didn't know.
I just ordered my USA-SPEC for my 2001 330i with a newer 02/2006 Alpine CD53 ( which has dual working data link ports in the back of the head unit).

Here is my situation:

1) The CD Changer Data Link #1 cable that was pre wired in the car is currently being used by the BMW Sirius Receiver.

2) My Sirius Receiver came with an extra "slave" extension cable that allows the "daisychain-ing" of a second unit that would use the original
Data Link #1 cable. This was originally sold by BMW for use with the CD Changer so that you can have both BMW CD Changer and BMW Sirius at the same time in
one car.
However, it was discovered that the "slave" extension cable ALSO works with the DICE units. So you can daisy chain the DICE off the Sirius (or vice versa) and have them working out the trunk in unision off the one Data Link #1 whiles you would use the Data Link #2 port off the head unit for the infamous AUX-in modification. Or you can buy a second Data Link cable from the dealership and use it independantly for the DICE (or USA -SPEC in my case since the USA-SPEC has it's own AUX-in ports)

My question is will the USA-SPEC slave off of the Sirius Receiver or CD Changers in the trunk and work fine? or should I go down to the dealership and order a Data Link cable for the Data Link # 2 port to connect the USA-Spec? I noticed many of you say you installed your Spec units on cars that came with CD Changers already. Did you slave the USA-Spec off the CD Changers?

Here is my Sirius Unit with the pre-wired CD Changer Data Link Cable going into the unit and the Slave cable coming out the Sirius unit to be plugged into the USA-Spec

Here is what the back side of my 02/2006 Alpine CD53 unit looks like and the idea of adding the second Data Link Cable to Data Link Port #2 for the USA-Spec iPod (as well as the USA-Spec Aux-In). This also allows for easier installation AND the ability to easily store the USA-Spec unit behind the dash/glove box area without the need to snake any cables thru from the trunk.

Here is a picture showing the current abilities of my Radio before I add the USA-Spec which will be MODE 4:

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 01-21-2010 at 02:30 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #162
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Are you sure the data link port #2 as you call it has full data link capability? It's possible it (or the headunit software) will only recognize an OEM Aux in? Just something to consider. Anyways, I think if the DICE works off the sirius slave cable then so would any similar device. I do recall reading in some of te DICE threads that some people were switching a wire position in the slave cable to help with a noise issue.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:25 PM   #163
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZen330 View Post
Are you sure the data link port #2 as you call it has full data link capability? It's possible it (or the headunit software) will only recognize an OEM Aux in? Just something to consider. Anyways, I think if the DICE works off the sirius slave cable then so would any similar device. I do recall reading in some of te DICE threads that some people were switching a wire position in the slave cable to help with a noise issue.
Zen, I think you may be right.
If this is the case then I may just keep the USA-Spec unit in the trunk and put in a seperate AUX-in cable in the cabin using data link port #2.

Well I guess I will see when the USA-Spec comes in next week. I just wanted to clear that up before time, since the dealership said it would take 'til next week for the cables to come in if I ordered and paid for it this week.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:07 AM   #164
enzeine

My Ride: 2004 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkwon View Post
I have the USA spec as well and I love it. The instructions say that if you use the AUX you lose the direct mode which is to control the ipod from the device. I upgraded my radio and run a seperate AUX just in case I might be using a different device such as a blackberry or some other DAP.

I've had the GROM unit. This was the radio connection. Mine didn't have the USB connection. GROM has excellent customer service, but I kept on having problems with mine. The audio kept on getting garbled or it would just plain lose connection and I would have to take out the radio to disconnect and reconnect...pain. I returned mine 6 times before I finally got a refund.

I've been using the USA spec for a couple of months now and had no problems at all. I've read in other threads that the OEM BMW ipod adapter is a bastardized version of the USA spec.

My only issue with USA spec is that I wished it was a radio connection instead of the cd changer connection in the trunk. It was a pain the run the cables under the carpet. I don't know about anyone else, but I had to remove my seats to run the cable (I don't have fold down seats). At the end it was worth it. I installed the unit underneath the center console. The instructions say to install the device where it can be accessible. I did have to modify the coin holder to make everything fit so if you go this route, be warned, it's not rocket science but it's not a walk in the park either. If I were to do it over again, I would have just installed everything in the trunk and left my ipod in there. I never use the ipod itself, the radio controls are pretty good and the install could have taken about 10 min.

I have no experience with DICE so I can't comment on it. The USA spec works and very well. Seems pretty bulletproof to me. I bought mine at pacificstereo.com for $120.
Yes, the BMW iPod is lame. I bought that thing and didn't realize the USA Spec interface existed. I switched over to the USA Spec and love it. I guess I'll have to take the loss and put the BMW iPod on eBay for whatever I can get for it.

I utilize my USA Spec iPod with a Sirius satellite in the aux on the #6 button. I have no complaints.
enzeine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 01:17 AM   #165
enzeine

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Steve,
It no rush buddy. You've already done enough for all of us. Go and enjoy your day.
Thanks.
Fully agreed. Thank you very much Steve, for all of your info. I already have the USA Spec unit, but came here to learn more about it in the way of having my Sirius hooked up to it (as I learned it uses playlist #6). Originally my installer friend/colleague said the iPod and Sirius could not be plugged in at the same time. I had to tell him he was wrong.

Thank you again.
Old 01-24-2010, 01:18 AM   #166
delmarco

Quote:
Originally Posted by enzeine View Post
Yes, the BMW iPod is lame....I switched over to the USA Spec and love it. I guess I'll have to take the loss and put the BMW iPod on eBay for whatever I can get for it.
Don't worry some noob BMW purist will pay good money for that POS.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:15 AM   #167
enzeine

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
Hi, I have been PM's a few times about this recently, so I decided to post it ....

Here is what happens in CD-6 mode:

- no song information is displayed on the HU

- iPod is unlocked meaning full control of the iPod using the buttons on the iPod

- << and >> buttons on the HU still select next & beginning/previous song
Is there any way to "toggle" it back to where the song information is displayed? Earlier today my songs were displayed. I pressed 6 for my Sirius and I believe the songs were still displayed.

Later on, however, I pressed 6 and the songs were not displayed any more and I don't know how to get that function back.
Old 01-24-2010, 03:14 AM   #168
enzeine

playlist mode

I know that I'm in playlist mode. My iPod says "okay to disconnect" continuously and won't let me control the unit like you would in normal iPod operation, i.e. running on the beach and selecting songs.

But when I pressed cd-6, I lost the text of artist and song info.

Is there a way to set it back without digging up the interface unit?

I was fine before. The only thing I can think that I did wrong was test the unit in the garage without the key in/engine on. When I was driving around only an hour or so earlier, the text was displaying.

I know you have to have the key on to push the sound enhancement button. I was hoping the same for the unit.

Who knows.

Please advise.
Old 01-24-2010, 12:48 PM   #169
delmarco

Quote:
I know that I'm in playlist mode. My iPod says "okay to disconnect" continuously and won't let me control the unit like you would in normal iPod operation, i.e. running on the beach and selecting songs.

But when I pressed cd-6, I lost the text of artist and song info.

Is there a way to set it back without digging up the interface unit?

I was fine before. The only thing I can think that I did wrong was test the unit in the garage without the key in/engine on. When I was driving around only an hour or so earlier, the text was displaying.

I know you have to have the key on to push the sound enhancement button. I was hoping the same for the unit.

Who knows.

Please advise.
What Sirius do you have?
The OEM Sirius?

Old 01-24-2010, 02:47 PM   #170
enzeine

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
What Sirius do you have?
The OEM Sirius?
I have a Sirius Sportster 5.

Upate:

I know the reason why the text wasn't showing up.

It was the fact that I didn't have the key in, after all. I went down this morning and played around with the system...sure enough, I learned that the key in produces text, while the key out (where you can play the radio for 1/2 hour - without the enhanced speaker button available), does not.

Regardless, thank you for trying to help me.

Much appreciated.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:21 PM   #171
lkstaack

My Ride: 04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
I'm considering replacing my Zune with an iPod because of the accessories available for iPods, particularly in the car. Although I have had my Zune for a couple of years, I really don't know much about music players. For example, I have never created or used playlists....I really don't know what the advantage is. With the Zune, my mood determines if I listen by genre or artist.

The reason for this rambling start is I want to determine if the USA Spec is right for me. It seems that the major advantage USA Spec has over DICE is that it works; though BSW would probably take you to task over that. However, after reading through this entire thread, I'm still not certain that the USA Spec will do what I need. These are my main two questions: Can I select music based upon an artist and not a play list? I listen to Podcasts alot while commuting; can I fast forward and rewind without listening to music randomly (heck, even the first Sony Walkman had FFD/RWD....I know, I had one).

I fear that USA Spec won't do what I need. Do you suppose the new model Silverline Pro all the known issues fixed? Oh, another thing; the "Hybrid" feature of being to control operations on both the HU and iPod leads me to understand that you can't usually control the iPod itself when it is hooked to an integration device. Is that true? What about album art? Seems like alot of the finer points of control could be addressed by just reaching over and pushing an iPod button.

Anyway, I would appreciate any insight others would have. Sorry for the long post.
Old 01-24-2010, 10:31 PM   #172
steve.325i

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
I have a Sirius Sportster 5.

Upate:

I know the reason why the text wasn't showing up.

It was the fact that I didn't have the key in, after all. I went down this morning and played around with the system...sure enough, I learned that the key in produces text, while the key out (where you can play the radio for 1/2 hour - without the enhanced speaker button available), does not.

Regardless, thank you for trying to help me.

Much appreciated.
Hi, sorry I did not contribute to the discussion.

I'm happy to hear you resolved you 'no text' issue. I don't know what prevents the text from displaying when the key is not present. The k-bus is powered since control signals are still passed from the HU to the iPod. You would think then that text would be able to be passed in the opposite direction.

This restriction is present with both the Dice & the USA-Spec, so I assume it' s due to something with the car/HU.
steve.325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 10:50 PM   #173
steve.325i

I will answer as many as I can …

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkstaack View Post
Can I select music based upon an artist and not a play list?
No. To do this you would have to build your playlists per GENRE, ie:
Playlist#1 = Pop
Playlist#2 = Hip-Hop
etc

Quote:
can I fast forward and rewind without listening to music randomly
Yes. Click the RND button, FF/RWD using the << and >> keys, and click the RND button again.

Quote:
Do you suppose the new model Silverline Pro all the known issues fixed?
No [IMO]. I had two Silverline units. The first one was a Dice Silverline Pro and the second was a Dice Silverline Pro 5V / iPhone 3G friendly. Both had ‘issues’.

Quote:
Oh, another thing; the "Hybrid" feature of being to control operations on both the HU and iPod leads me to understand that you can't usually control the iPod itself when it is hooked to an integration device. Is that true? What about album art?
Ok, disclaimer here … I have a PA12-BMW from October of 2008. USA-Spec has done some modification to this mode so what I saw may not be correct with what is currently shipping.

The Hybrid mode has been abandoned. Now they call it Direct Mode.

Direct mode allows dual control of the iPod using the HU & the iPod controls BUT while in this mode text does NOT get displayed on the HU.

Album Art is not displayed in Playlist mode for sure. I’m not sure about Direct mode.

Hope some of this helps. I also hope some other chime in.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:22 PM   #174
lkstaack

My Ride: 04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
Steve

Thanks for the quick reply. So, it seems that the trade off for moving away from fumbling with seperate aux and power wires to an integrated, clean looking system is a one with degraded functionality. Maybe I'll hang on to my Zune.
Old 01-24-2010, 11:28 PM   #175
steve.325i

Quote:
Steve

Thanks for the quick reply. So, it seems that the trade off for moving away from fumbling with seperate aux and power wires to an integrated, clean looking system is a one with degraded functionality. Maybe I'll hang on to my Zune.
Yup, there are always trade-offs and you get nothing for free - LOL.

Honestly though, Apple is leading the market for a reason. [no, i currently do not have any interest in apple]

The complete iTunes / iPod experience beats all others. Once you convert yourself over to the idea of playlist, things just become easier.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:34 AM   #176
bdelima

My Ride: 2010 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve.325i View Post
Yup, there are always trade-offs and you get nothing for free - LOL.

Honestly though, Apple is leading the market for a reason. [no, i currently do not have any interest in apple]

The complete iTunes / iPod experience beats all others. Once you convert yourself over to the idea of playlist, things just become easier.
I'll agree that iPods in general offer a really nice experience, but iTunes (at least the Windows version) gets the award for the worst piece of software ever written in the history of mankind (and monkeykind for that matter). Hard to believe it's been out as long as it has and it still behaves more like a virus than anything else. Apple should be ashamed.

But I digress ...
bdelima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:44 PM   #177
steve.325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdelima View Post
I'll agree that iPods in general offer a really nice experience, but iTunes (at least the Windows version) gets the award for the worst piece of software ever written in the history of mankind (and monkeykind for that matter). Hard to believe it's been out as long as it has and it still behaves more like a virus than anything else. Apple should be ashamed.

But I digress ...
okok, I'm an iTunes fan as well ... any program that my wife can operate & not get pissed at is a good program to me ...
Old 01-26-2010, 02:00 AM   #178
enzeine

iPod connected

Here's a simple one after all of this...should I unplug the iPod when I'm in for the night?
Old 01-27-2010, 12:13 PM   #179
steve.325i

Quote:
Here's a simple one after all of this...should I unplug the iPod when I'm in for the night?
Absolutely NOT required ... I only unplug / touch my iPod when I am removing it from the car to update my playlists approx every two months.
Old 01-30-2010, 06:17 PM   #180
delmarco

Installing mine this weekend:
Can't wait to do a pictorial DIY after I get everything working.

Two important notes...

NOTE: It is very important to unplug your battery AND your Radio before this install. I didn't think this was relevant until my car made a frying sound and my odometer cluster went all Klingon on me as soon as I plugged in the USA-SPec.
Also the cable that comes with the Spec is long enough to pass into the car from the trunk and you can store the USA-Spec module behind the glovebox and run the iPod and AUX cables down the center console into the Armrest area.

It is a lot of cable and you get a plentitude of installation configurations. So that said most of the DIY time is trying to figure out where is the best place in your car for your USA-Spec module AND iPod.

I think keeping the USA-Spec module behind the dash/glovebox near my Bluetooth box is cool for now as everything ICE is in the same place. As for the iPod I think, I'm going to go with Steve and say once I plug it in I DO NOT want to see it or know it is there. So I'm attempting to store it under the cupholders in that flat space that is under there when you lift the cup holders. This way it is "anti-theft" proof because it won't be seen and crooks won't know to remove the cup holders in a BMW (unless that is the very thing they are in there to steal). So I won't have the headache of unplugging it to take it with me or locking my glove box everytime I leave the car.

Also I don't like to lock my glove box I've seen mangled glove boxes because the owners locked them and a crowbar easily unlocked them, contents were stolen anyway, and the owner had to pay $900 to replace the glovebox.

NOTE: I truly believe the way this uses the BMW1 to BMW5 Playlist management system is much to my liking and needs.
It is a quick, clean and easy way to organize and play your music in your car. I can't imagine fiddling thru more than 5 playlists during my commute. Usually traffic in and around Westchester and New York City can be anywhere from 30 minutes to 2 hours on any given day within the 30-40 mile radius due to crazy congestion and I'm pretty confident with Sirius, MP3 CDs, AM/FM and two sets of AUX input I can get by on 5 iPod playlists in my car.

I'm so glad I got this over the DICE.

Last edited by delmarco; 01-30-2010 at 06:34 PM.