E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #1
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
My search for more NA power (Dyno time)

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to start this thread to document where I'm going with my car. I'm a big fan of dyno results versus butt-dyno feeling. I like to make sure I get some bang out of my buck. Hopefully this thread will give people some reference when they are looking for NA mods.

If you have any good solid before/after dynos (corrected numbers) feel free to post them with an explanation. I'll start off by posting what I have so far....

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:51 PM   #2
aggieE46
Keep it clean

This dyno shows my before and after results with my cams. Mods on the "before" dyno are a Streamline drop-in filer, EvoSport pulleys, Shark Injector, UUC flywheel, Technik Gen3 Headers, Magnaflow full catback, LTW5 wheels.

The only variable was a set of Schrick 264/248 cams.

Old 01-27-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
aggieE46
Keep it clean

Mid February, I'll be borrowing a Conforti intake to see what sort of difference. The dyno above doesn't show my A/F, but I'll make sure it's posted on the next dyno. After that, I'll be installing a bored throttle-body. We'll see what we can squeeze out of her without FI or extreme measures
Old 01-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
Perhaps a real tune...
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:36 PM   #5
Keno

My Ride: smelly & leaky 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Keno
I followed your install thread and found that this to be quite amazing. My car, with intake, pullies and exhaust probably touches 200whp - your car has a whopping 30 more whp! Given the price of ZHP cams (600) and ebay headers (100) it would theoretically cost someone ~$700 in parts to add a solid 20whp to their M54B30 - talk about about budget modding!

so have you tried some pulls against anyone yet? e36 M3's make about 220 to the wheels...

I'll make an uneducated guess and say your car can make another 8whp with a proper tune.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:39 AM   #6
aggieE46
Keep it clean

I haven't run anyone with this setup. I'm sure I could hold my own I'm planning on getting to the track this spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keno View Post
I followed your install thread and found that this to be quite amazing. My car, with intake, pullies and exhaust probably touches 200whp - your car has a whopping 30 more whp! Given the price of ZHP cams (600) and ebay headers (100) it would theoretically cost someone ~$700 in parts to add a solid 20whp to their M54B30 - talk about about budget modding!

so have you tried some pulls against anyone yet? e36 M3's make about 220 to the wheels...

I'll make an uneducated guess and say your car can make another 8whp with a proper tune.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:39 AM   #7
aggieE46
Keep it clean

Definitely in my future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
Perhaps a real tune...
Old 01-28-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
SL Blak Soldier

My Ride: 3 Pedal SG S54B32
Send a message via AIM to SL Blak Soldier
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
I haven't run anyone with this setup. I'm sure I could hold my own I'm planning on getting to the track this spring.
man with 230whp you should definitely be able to hold your own. i mean looking at it, it's nothing much compared to an m3, but we don't drive m3's.

230whp in our cars is fast.

Also i'll try and get my after headers dyno to include in this thread. (with my before dyno)
Old 01-28-2010, 04:21 PM   #9
vaio76109

My Ride: Race Cars
I've dynod this car 3 times so far. The first two times were with a Conforti intake, 3rd time was with a Conforti intake and Technik Gen 3 headers. Unfortunately, I don't have the dyno file from the second time I dynoed it but it was right around 204 or 205whp. Looks like a 13-17whp gain.

Ignore the lean AFR #'s, they're not right.

Quote:
I'm planning on getting to the road course this spring.
Fixed.
vaio76109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:23 PM   #10
aggieE46
Keep it clean

Small bump.

Hit the dyno yesterday with my "custom" intake. While I used the same dyno, the main variable was that it was about 50 degrees hotter. Intake temps on my friend's 350z were over 100. The dyno operator is supposed to email me the files tomorrow so I can do an overlay from my last.

With the hotter temps, it still showed a gain of 1hp and 5tq - 231hp/220tq (if I remember correctly, forgot my printout).

Just FYI, my buddy's 2005 350Z with test pipes, TurboXS exhaust, AFE filter, and plenum spacer made 247/235.

I wanted to get another "baseline" in the warm weather for a couple things I'll be adding in the next month. Bored throttle body and 3 inch single exhaust, possibly a tune.

Last edited by aggieE46; 07-18-2010 at 06:40 PM.
aggieE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 06:50 PM   #11
iwannagofast

My Ride: 01 330ci
Send a message via AIM to iwannagofast
subscribed...... great thread man... you've been talking about this for a bit

xbox live: stopthisfall
iwannagofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:04 PM   #12
blablac

My Ride: 240sx
Quote:
Small bump.

Hit the dyno yesterday with my "custom" intake. While I used the same dyno, the main variable was that it was about 50 degrees hotter. Intake temps on my friend's 350z were over 100. The dyno operator is supposed to email me the files tomorrow so I can do an overlay from my last.

With the hotter temps, it still showed a gain of 1hp and 5tq - 231hp/220tq (if I remember correctly, forgot my printout).

Just FYI, my buddy's 2005 350Z with test pipes, TurboXS exhaust, AFE filter, and plenum spacer made 247/235.

I wanted to get another "baseline" in the warm weather for a couple things I'll be adding in the next month. Bored throttle body and 3 inch single exhaust, possibly a tune.
details on the "custom" intake ?
blablac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 12:19 PM   #13
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: ZHP Custom Stage 3.5
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
That is some good Numbers I can't wait for out TB to come back I need to go back for another dyno as well...

-TrippinBimmer
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:16 PM   #14
aggieE46
Keep it clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by blablac View Post
details on the "custom" intake ?
I'll post some pictures when I get the files. He said the web connection to the dyno computer was jacked up. He's going to put them on his flash drive and send them tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrippinBimmer View Post
That is some good Numbers I can't wait for out TB to come back I need to go back for another dyno as well...

-TrippinBimmer
Yeah, I'm excited, too!
Old 07-19-2010, 01:18 PM   #15
firefirefire90
Banned

My Ride: suce ma bite
Send a message via AIM to firefirefire90
are you running a custom intake manifold or just custom CAI?
firefirefire90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 01:22 PM   #16
aggieE46
Keep it clean

Just a custom filter setup. If I had spent that kind of money and made that small of a gain, I'd be quite upset.

Basically, I gutted my airbox, used a 3.5 to 4 inch silicone elbow to a 4 inch velocity stack (6 inch on the outside) and stuck on a huge cone filter. I keep my factory airbox and get more/smoother flow. I'm guessing that went a long way towards the added torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefirefire90 View Post
are you running a custom intake manifold or just custom CAI?
Old 07-19-2010, 01:58 PM   #17
aggieE46
Keep it clean

Pics of filter setup (giganto sized for your inconvenience):

Old 07-19-2010, 02:29 PM   #18
firefirefire90
Banned

My Ride: suce ma bite
Send a message via AIM to firefirefire90
interesting. Did you find that the velocity stack was necessary?
firefirefire90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:35 PM   #19
Iceman00
I screwed up and can't post

My Ride: E90 6MT
The velocity stack probably helped the MAF read the added airflow better, but I think that design is questionable. I would tell you to consider a tube that extends into the bumper, and have a bypass valve (made by AEM) to prevent hydrolock. I will say that when I had my custom cold air intake set up (long tube type) I felt a boost in torque as well. They say it's due to the resonance of the tube and intake pulse, and other psychics that are above my pay grade. Great job though, I respect your methods and the information that you provide to the community.
Iceman00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #20
aggieE46
Keep it clean

Thanks, man. I have a tube running from the brake duct to the box.

I really like having the box in place. I may even wrap it to see how it helps my intake temps:

http://store.bimmerworld.com/gold-fo...film-p841.aspx

If I ever go with an intake that runs into the front bumper, I'd like to go with the Pipercross (like UUC used to sell).

If anyone wants to send me a Dinan or Cosmos, I'd be happy to bolt it up and go get it tested against mine.

Brady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman00 View Post
The velocity stack probably helped the MAF read the added airflow better, but I think that design is questionable. I would tell you to consider a tube that extends into the bumper, and have a bypass valve (made by AEM) to prevent hydrolock. I will say that when I had my custom cold air intake set up (long tube type) I felt a boost in torque as well. They say it's due to the resonance of the tube and intake pulse, and other psychics that are above my pay grade. Great job though, I respect your methods and the information that you provide to the community.