E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #21
dpgrand

My Ride: 2005 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat View Post
This is bad news. I was hoping to get my o2sim installed when it warmed up
I'm surprised that more people are not having this issue. Some people have gone thousands of miles on the O2sim too with no engine lights coming on...
Old 01-27-2010, 07:30 PM   #22
xi325xi02

My Ride: 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
$40 at o2simulator.com works just fine, too
I apologize in advance for the noobish question, but i'm considering headers. If i purchase an o2 sim, will my car pass emission tests? My residence is in the "city". Any insight would be much appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebad328i View Post
you want ladys damm, get a punchin hard ass sound system
I HATE CVT'S
xi325xi02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:12 PM   #23
dpgrand

I couldn't pass because I'm still throwing codes. Also - you will not pass a visual inspection if you are not running cats.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:01 PM   #24
SmokeyDP

My Ride: 2001 M3
Just a heads up, but I am running stock software with supersprint headers and supersprint cats and I have no CEL. My code reader lists a 'pending' code for the rear o2 and the light came on briefly for a day, but I have been driving around for 2 weeks now. I had the shark injector installed, but removed it so I can have a custom tune done(being installed next week).
Schrick cams - AFE intake - Custom Tune - Supersprint full exhaust - Evosport pulleys - UUC Evo 3 short shift kit - Brembo 14" BBK brake kit - Euro rear floating rotors - TC Kline Double Adjustable coilovers - Vorshlag caster/camber plates - Adjustable rear camber arms - Black 2005 competition package interior - Vorsteiner CSL front bumper - 19" CSL wheels
SmokeyDP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #25
F1004fun

My Ride: '02 330Ci
If you are running the Supersprint cats you might get the smog guy to let you pass on a visual, but that is a very slim chance. Your car has the pending rear O2 sensor codes because well..... it's looking the rear O2 signal to mimic a good catalytic converter.
You didn't say what O2 sensors you had hooked up and where, but I would think that if those cats are of a decent cell count (some way they measure the cats?) it might work. I would try installing O2 sensor bungs after your cats and installing the rear O2 sensors there, the tricky part then becomes finding connectors.
I dont know what kind of junkyards you have where your at but I was able to cut some connectors out of a car that had been in a crazy wreck and the engine harness was incomplete. One more thing, I would recommend using twisted pair wire wire to cut down on interference, you can find this in long lengths in most body wiring harnesses for the cars audio system.
F1004fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 12:51 AM   #26
dpgrand

How are you mounting the resistors?
Old 06-18-2010, 07:48 AM   #27
SmokeyDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyDP View Post
Just a heads up, but I am running stock software with supersprint headers and supersprint cats and I have no CEL. My code reader lists a 'pending' code for the rear o2 and the light came on briefly for a day, but I have been driving around for 2 weeks now. I had the shark injector installed, but removed it so I can have a custom tune done(being installed next week).
This is old so I am going to update it...

With stock software I ended up throwing an o2 code after 2 weeks of driving. The good news is, all monitors passed and the car threw no codes long enough for me to get the car inspected then reinstall the shark injector.

In the end I ended up going with a custom tune because the AFR was all over the place with my mods and the Shark Injector. The car runs much smoother with the custom tune and will even pass smog.
Schrick cams - AFE intake - Custom Tune - Supersprint full exhaust - Evosport pulleys - UUC Evo 3 short shift kit - Brembo 14" BBK brake kit - Euro rear floating rotors - TC Kline Double Adjustable coilovers - Vorshlag caster/camber plates - Adjustable rear camber arms - Black 2005 competition package interior - Vorsteiner CSL front bumper - 19" CSL wheels
Old 06-18-2010, 02:53 PM   #28
pat

My Ride: e92 M3 / Camaro SS
Send a message via MSN to pat Send a message via Skype™ to pat
Quote:
This is old so I am going to update it...

With stock software I ended up throwing an o2 code after 2 weeks of driving. The good news is, all monitors passed and the car threw no codes long enough for me to get the car inspected then reinstall the shark injector.

In the end I ended up going with a custom tune because the AFR was all over the place with my mods and the Shark Injector. The car runs much smoother with the custom tune and will even pass smog.

Let me get something clear here. Did you pass emmissions while having condes in pending status? The codes for the rear o2 sensors will sit there for a while before the actually light up. The require several cycles (on/off) and cycle lenghts (x amount of miles per interval) before they will actually come up).

I'm just curious if you can actually pass emissions where you have codes in pending status. The rear monitor(s) would not be in ready state (I think?) and should therefore fail.

I still haven't installed the O2 sim but I do have cats. It usually takes me a 4-8 weeks for the codes to come up once I've reset them but that's only due to my driving needs. (It can be different for everyone).

Thanks!
Old 06-19-2010, 08:34 AM   #29
SmokeyDP

Quote:
Let me get something clear here. Did you pass emmissions while having condes in pending status? The codes for the rear o2 sensors will sit there for a while before the actually light up. The require several cycles (on/off) and cycle lenghts (x amount of miles per interval) before they will actually come up).

I'm just curious if you can actually pass emissions where you have codes in pending status. The rear monitor(s) would not be in ready state (I think?) and should therefore fail.

I still haven't installed the O2 sim but I do have cats. It usually takes me a 4-8 weeks for the codes to come up once I've reset them but that's only due to my driving needs. (It can be different for everyone).

Thanks!
Yes, you can pass with PENDING codes. The only codes that they look for is MIL codes.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:47 PM   #30
pat

Quote:
Yes, you can pass with PENDING codes. The only codes that they look for is MIL codes.
So do they look for readiness status? I think the rear o2s would not be ready? Either way, if it works... I may just do that and discard the o2 sim.

Old 06-20-2010, 10:53 AM   #31
SmokeyDP

Quote:
So do they look for readiness status? I think the rear o2s would not be ready? Either way, if it works... I may just do that and discard the o2 sim.

Pending and permanent codes will not be throw until the readiness status for the corresponding device is set. First the rear o2's are marked at 'ready', then the 'pending' code pops up after a while, then it switches to a 'permanent' code.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #32
Keno

My Ride: smelly & leaky 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Keno
Does it really matter if you're post cat sensors are working or not (in terms of efficiency and performance), or is it just the OCD in people that makes them want to get rid of that dash light?
Old 06-22-2010, 11:13 PM   #33
dpgrand

Its the dash light.
Old 06-23-2010, 07:40 AM   #34
SmokeyDP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keno View Post
Does it really matter if you're post cat sensors are working or not (in terms of efficiency and performance), or is it just the OCD in people that makes them want to get rid of that dash light?
If your dash light is always on then how will you know if your car throws a second code for something unrelated.
Old 06-25-2010, 11:09 PM   #35
Keno

My Ride: smelly & leaky 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Keno
Quote:
If your dash light is always on then how will you know if your car throws a second code for something unrelated.
makes sense. I figure I'm just gonna end up getting a USB OBDII reader kit and check the codes every so often.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:11 PM   #36
dpgrand

I have the LC-1 installed. I made it 450 miles before it threw a SES light. I read the codes and got these:

The one that is actually throwing the code is a resistor problem... I'm using the suggested 50ohm resistors.
Old 07-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #37
AutoEurotica

My Ride: 1990 Peugeot 405Mi16
i havent been able to pass inspection since Nov. 2009 (thats teh date it was due). It is now july 4th and i still have yet to pass. i HAD the ebay headers, took it to private inspection...FAIL (obviously, but at the time i didnt know my facelift would be such a bitch to pass cuz of the ECU being ridiculously sensitive). then i got the AA ECU reflash and all they did was turn off the o2 sensors, and the codes i was throwing went away...thought i would pass, went to inspection and got a big fat FAIL. THEN, i took the ebay headers out, put the stock ones back in, reflashed it AGAIN so that AA could turn the o2 sensors back on, thought i was in the clear and took it to inspection and, FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL FAIL!!!! why do facelift ECUs have to the such little b!chez!!!! and because of this...i ended up spending INSANE amounts of money to get the headers installed, then gettin AA software for fix the problem, and because that didnt fix the problem, i had to pay to but my stock manifold back in, then pay to get it reflashed to turn the O2 sensors back on, and that didnt work so i had to go to BMW to pay to get it reflashed back to stock....AANNNDDDD I STIL HAD TO PAY TO GET MY THERMOSTAT REPLACED CUZ APPARENTLY THAT WAS SCREWED UP TOO!!!!! ughhhh.....FML!!! SERIOUSLY! i spent so much money on making my car slower! why me?!?!

/rant
Old 07-04-2010, 07:13 PM   #38
ari00

My Ride: 04 330ci
In '03 for the model year E46 '04s and up, BMW switched ECUs from a Bosch to a Siemens. Not sure if this is the reason you're having the issues, but it could be.
ari00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:14 AM   #39
pat

oh boy... sounds like I may be on the same boat. I have till august to get my plates renewed.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:34 AM   #40
dpgrand

Follow up for my situation. The heater code that i'm throwing (189) is actually a pre-cat sensor. I'm at 70k miles so maybe its time to replace them. Once the SES light comes back on, I'll clear the codes and then switch the pre-cat sensors between bank 1 and bank 2 to see if the code then moves to bank 1.

F1004fun also has a more refined voltage curve, so I've been told.