E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-28-2010, 09:10 PM   #1
conkelid

My Ride: 2005 325i
Question DVD Navigation System Retrofit with On Board Monitor

I'm retrofitting my auto with a Navigation System in accordance with the BMW DVD Navigation System Retrofit Instructions. Here's what I have:

Year. 2005
Model. 325i
VIN. KW20556
Production Date. 10/04
ETK Screen Printed. 01/22/10
Retrofit Kit No. 65 90 0 391 113
Vehicle Information Printed 1/21/10

The first three images below are of the Navigation Retrofit Installation Instruction pages 1 (Cover) and 4-5 (Parts Listing). The fourth is the Vehicle Information printout with the applicable options for the install highlighted. And the fifth image is of the dealership ETK printout with part numbers of major components highlighted. Those being the (C) Radio (D) Navigation Computer and (E) On-Board Monitor. The letters correspond to the parts listing in the Install Instructions. I've been able to part number and price listings A-S with exception*:

(C) Radio (Professional) 65 12 6 976 963 $638.93 Euro Fitment
(D) Navigation Computer 65 90 9 176 685 $3,154.59 Euro/US Fitment E83
(E) On-Board Monitor 65 52 6 934 411 $1,955.10 USA Fitment

*Yes I know the part number and prices are there, but I do not know if they are the right ones, or the ones that would work here in the U.S.

I've read every post dealing with retrofit and they/you all have been extremely helpful to this point, all 50+. Thank you. Special thanks to Technic and sna77. Like I said, the rest of the install seems simple, but for this I'm at a loss. I was told that for C, D, and E that the part numbers listed were the only ones that would work. I would like to know if I have to buy these exact part numbers or is this just the dealership just trying to make their money? How does fitment with these parts work (i.e. Suppose I have C, D, and E for the E46 platform, but the part numbers are different/old/superseded.) Can they be put together and work? Are there alternate U.S. parts that would cross-reference, that would work as the European parts called for? In the case of (D) Navigation Computer I searched through RealOEM.com and the part number called for an E83 chassis? Weird. And of course, I'd like to save money by sourcing the more expensive out to other vendors (i.e. Aftermarket/E-Bay), but there are so many part numbers out there on these items. The monitor, radio, and computer total at $5,748.62 alone. Most of these listings seem legitimate, (i.e. Buy from our company this C, D, and E will work for an E46 platform) but even if I buy them and they would work flawlessly, oooops, it's the wrong part number and is not compatible with the rest of the system. So far I've sourced 16 out of 19 components successfully but need to get a better idea before I complete these last and most crucial 3. Thank you for your input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Retrofit Instructions.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	346605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Retrofit Instructions Parts.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	346606   Click image for larger version

Name:	Retrofit Instructions Parts II.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	346607   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vehicle Information.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	346608  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Navigation Retrofit Parts List.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	125.4 KB
ID:	346609  
conkelid is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-28-2010, 09:21 PM   #2
AHEAD OF THE CLASS

My Ride: M3, Ducati 848, RR
Send a message via AIM to AHEAD OF THE CLASS
You should have went through EAS an bought there complete kit. I source every part before i did this OEM retro kit an it was a pain my AZZ. If your a OEM nut then by all means do the retro kit, but i wish i would have save the 4000 grand it took me to do the kit an bought a top of the line aftermarket navi. Sorry i couldn't be any help with your problem i did this kit 3 years ago an my knowledge about it is lost since i got it installed in my car.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #3
conkelid

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHEAD OF THE CLASS View Post
You should have went through EAS an bought there complete kit. I source every part before i did this OEM retro kit an it was a pain my AZZ. If your a OEM nut then by all means do the retro kit, but i wish i would have save the 4000 grand it took me to do the kit an bought a top of the line aftermarket navi. Sorry i couldn't be any help with your problem i did this kit 3 years ago an my knowledge about it is lost since i got it installed in my car.
I checked with EAS and they no longer have a retrofit kit available. I'm trying to be as savvy as I can with the last three parts. I've read through and seen other threads on Aftermarket vs. OEM and I decided I like the integration of the OEM construct. But yes, the pricing is steep. So here I am with the last three. I can go strictly with the Dealer and spend $5,748.62, with Aftermarket for $3,045.00, or with E-Bay for $900-1,500. With the latter, still remains the problem of sourcing the right parts, but if it's done correctly I stand to save a significant amount of money that can be used on other extravagant and useless projects. Afterall, doesn't everyone? Thanks for the post by the way.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:22 PM   #4
tom @ eas
european auto source

My Ride: e92 S/C M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by conkelid View Post
I checked with EAS and they no longer have a retrofit kit available. I'm trying to be as savvy as I can with the last three parts. I've read through and seen other threads on Aftermarket vs. OEM and I decided I like the integration of the OEM construct. But yes, the pricing is steep. So here I am with the last three. I can go strictly with the Dealer and spend $5,748.62, with Aftermarket for $3,045.00, or with E-Bay for $900-1,500. With the latter, still remains the problem of sourcing the right parts, but if it's done correctly I stand to save a significant amount of money that can be used on other extravagant and useless projects. Afterall, doesn't everyone? Thanks for the post by the way.
We can still build the OEM NAV kits, however the pieces are very expensive (approx $4k new).

The major components are the 16:9 screen (e46 specific), radio tuner module and MKIV computer, the other items are relatively simply to assemble.

Kudos on going the OEM route, OEM NAV is one of the few options that will not only increase resale value - but make your driving experience that much better.
tom @ eas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
Technic

My Ride: '12 M3 & '10 CC
What about this? http://www.bimmernav.com/store/catal...-item-174.html
Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
conkelid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Technic,

Thanks for the reply. The earlier quote I had posted called for an "Aftermarket for $3,045.00". That was through Bimmernav with a Widescreen Display Version: CD Player (+250.00). I'm still trying to figure out the parts scenario. I've found allot on E-Bay but am still not sure what to go with. For example:

Monitor: P/N 65 52 6 934 410 Dealership Calls For: 65 52 6 934 411
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Computer: P/N 65 90 6 942 908 Dealership Calls For: 65 90 9 176 685
http://cgi.ebay.de/MK4-BMW-Navigatio...item2558810b20

Radio: P/N 65 12 6 934 649 Dealership Calls For: 65 12 6 976 963

Other than that, I'm still in the same place. I can research, but unfortunately I lack the working knowledge and experience of a technician so this may be a while, but I'll be sure to post my findings along the way. If you can think of anything, let me know. Thanks again.
Old 02-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
conkelid

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
We can still build the OEM NAV kits, however the pieces are very expensive (approx $4k new).

The major components are the 16:9 screen (e46 specific), radio tuner module and MKIV computer, the other items are relatively simply to assemble.

Kudos on going the OEM route, OEM NAV is one of the few options that will not only increase resale value - but make your driving experience that much better.
Tom,

Thanks for the response. I had gone to the EAS site under the Tab: Mobile Electronics --> Subtab: Nav Retrofit Kits & Accessories, but had seen no retrofit kit listed underneath. I should have called. I assumed that the kit wasn't an option as it was not advertised on the website. Thank you for clarifying.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #8
profM3

My Ride: 2005 M3 ZCP
I have not done a retrofit or an upgrade on the navigation system (other than nav firmware in my car), but I can make a few comments (hopefully accurate ones).

The E83 is the X3, this is the last iBus based vehicle BMW is making. The E46 cars are iBus based. The navigation system communicates over the iBus so you need an iBus navigation system. As the X3 is still being made, the navigation computer from the X3 should probably work in an E46 car even though it could be made on a date after the E46 had ceased production. For example I have a TCU module manufactured in 2007 from an X3 in my 2005 M3. E46 cars were out of production by 2007 but it works fine. As BMW introduces new vehicle models, they switch to optical fiber MOST based communications. The new X3 (due out shortly?) will undoubtedly switch to a MOST bus. The MOST bus is what iDrive nav systems use. iBus and MOST systems are completely incompatible and you can't use a MOST component (nav computer, radio, TCU, CD changer, etc) in an iBus car. This sometimes trips people up when looking for a TCU on ebay to add bluetooth to their car. The MOST TCUs look similar to the older iBus based TCUs but the connectors are different (and the sticker says that it's MOST based).

That said I suspect that any DVD based Mark IV nav computer would be fine in your car. There may have been some subtle improvements in the computer from 2002 on (when they introduced it). I have never seen any discussion of what changed for the different revisions, I am not sure anyone has this information. I believe you can upgrade the firmware to the latest version on any of the Mark IV computers. From realoem.com there is the part list of nav computers from E46 cars:
01 Rmfd navigation computer 1 09/2002 09/2006 65900412427 ENDED
01 Rmfd navigation computer 1 09/2002 09/2006 65906983311 ENDED
01 Rmfd navigation computer 1 09/2002 12/2006 65909115033 ENDED
01 Rmfd navigation computer 1 09/2002 09/2007 65909133178 ENDED
01 Rmfd navigation computer 1 09/2002 03/2008 65909154053 ENDED
01 Rmfd navigation computer 1 09/2002 65909176686 $2,672.90

Then there is the part number you gave from the X3 which is newer.

The board monitor (screen) and CD player behind it is a E46 specific part as it has to fit the dash). Again any one from an E46 car should be fine. A used one might have wear, scratches, etc.

I think sna77 sorted out the radio module issue (which sits in the trunk next the nav computer), he posted a link with part numbers:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=665464, and I gather you've been in touch with him. I would go for a relatively recent radio.

One comment: if you buy a nav computer via ebay, it may come coded for a different language. Interestingly there appears to be a range of European E46 parts that appear for sale in the US on ebay. I found this out the hard way with a GSM based TCU module that wouldn't work in the US. You can change the language coding on a nav computer using a laptop, NavCoder software and a Resler ibus interface. You can also turn alter the settings in your bluetooth TCU with navcoder as well. Again sna77 has done this, but I have played around with navcoder as well, it's pretty slick.
2005 M3 Silbergrau Metallic on black; 6MT, ZCP, ZPP, ZCW, Nav, Dinan exhaust, two AR20 resonators in section 1, Autosolutions SSK, Fucy CSL diffuser, Intravee II, illuminated ZHP shift knob, stealth V1 install with ash tray remote, OEM first aid boxes under both seats, Ultimate pedals and more...

Last edited by profM3; 02-02-2010 at 10:37 AM.
profM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:50 AM   #9
Technic

My Ride: '12 M3 & '10 CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by conkelid View Post
Technic,

Thanks for the reply. The earlier quote I had posted called for an "Aftermarket for $3,045.00". That was through Bimmernav with a Widescreen Display Version: CD Player (+250.00). I'm still trying to figure out the parts scenario. I've found allot on E-Bay but am still not sure what to go with. For example:

Monitor: P/N 65 52 6 934 410 Dealership Calls For: 65 52 6 934 411

Computer: P/N 65 90 6 942 908 Dealership Calls For: 65 90 9 176 685
http://cgi.ebay.de/MK4-BMW-Navigatio...item2558810b20

Radio: P/N 65 12 6 934 649 Dealership Calls For: 65 12 6 976 963

Other than that, I'm still in the same place. I can research, but unfortunately I lack the working knowledge and experience of a technician so this may be a while, but I'll be sure to post my findings along the way. If you can think of anything, let me know. Thanks again.
The obvious advice is to get the used parts as recent as possible. However, as you found out that's not quite simple.

My recommendation is to get the harness new, and everything else used from MY2004-on; forget anything from 2003-back. That is, the monitor, the computer and the tuner. The tuner should be BM53 (Business), not BM54 (Professional) as only the BM53 was offered in the USA. You can get the BMW54, but the FM frequencies will be in Euro steps and the AM will be lost. Other than that the BMW54 will sound much better than the BM53 in all sources.

Try to get the harness first, install it and then buy the parts for a quick test, especially the computer. Yes, it is cumbersome to do it that way but you want to be quick in identifying the eBay duds.

One place that you can call and find out what they have is LKQ, either their online store (LKQonline.com) or by just calling them (LKQcorp.com). They are also an eBay vendor.

Good luck...
Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #10
maw1124

My Ride: Allroad; S55; 500E
Conkelid, did you ever figure this out? In particular, for the widescreen display, is there any difference between the P/N ending in 410 and the one ending in 411? Please let me know.

Cheers, Gents.

maw
maw1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
[USMC]Skywalker

My Ride: 2005 Tiag M3
I dont think the part numbers matter that much with regards to this retrofit. I did my complete retrofit to include tv tuner, rear view cam... all with parts from ebay. If you have any questions pm me with specifics. Will be glad to help you. I also figured out short cuts, i finished the whole retrofit in under three hours. For example, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO TAKE THE REAR SHELF OFF< and removing rear side bolsters on coupe is really easy. Let me know how I can help

Last edited by [USMC]Skywalker; 11-29-2012 at 08:10 PM.
[USMC]Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote