E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 02:01 AM   #1
Pharaoh2716

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330CiC
H&R spring question?

I am looking to lower my car. I have a 2001 BMW 330Ci Vert with sport suspension. If I purchase H&R springs, will they drastically lower the life of my stock shocks? If so how much life can I get out of my shocks? How will I know if my shocks are blown, and how much are new ones? Thanks.

Pharaoh2716 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:06 AM   #2
Andy2108

My Ride: E46 M3, '67 Cobra
Depends on how and where you drive. How big are your rims? I dont know for sure, but I think you would know if you had a blown shock (dads got a blown shock but dealer wont do anything about it. Go over a speed bump and the noise is horrible.)

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Andy2108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:09 AM   #3
Pharaoh2716

I have the same rims that are in your sig pic. Style 68 Staggered.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:10 AM   #4
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharaoh2716 View Post
I am looking to lower my car. I have a 2001 BMW 330Ci Vert with sport suspension. If I purchase H&R springs, will they drastically lower the life of my stock shocks? If so how much life can I get out of my shocks? How will I know if my shocks are blown, and how much are new ones? Thanks.
which type of H&R, the Sport or the Race? Race those babies are gonna get too much a work out. Sport should be good, although I recall the Cabrio is heavier and might have different part numbers than others.
Old 02-05-2010, 02:14 AM   #5
Pharaoh2716

I was looking at the sport not the race. Any advice?

Old 02-05-2010, 02:55 AM   #6
Andy2108

So, If you have my rims... but on an '01.... do you have the sport package with the sport suspention?

With sport suspention youll drop .75 in the front and .25 in the back

With standard suspention youll drop 1.3 in the front and 1.0 in the back

according to Modbairgains. http://www.modbargains.com/_e/Suspension/product/HR_Sport_Springs_E46_PR/H_R_Sport_Springs_BMW_E46_3_Series_and_M3.htm

Dang, now I wanna drop my car lol.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:08 AM   #7
Pharaoh2716

yeah i have the sport suspension. will they wear my stock shocks a lot faster?

Old 02-05-2010, 03:18 AM   #8
Anub!s

My Ride: e92M, e46 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Anub!s Send a message via MSN to Anub!s Send a message via Yahoo to Anub!s
yes, your OEM shocks WILL wear out faster. Get a cup kit and call it a day.

EDIT: Just saw it's an '01. Assuming you still have original shocks, with lets say 100k+ miles; you will need new shocks pretty fast with after market springs.

Last edited by Anub!s; 02-05-2010 at 03:21 AM.
Anub!s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:26 AM   #9
Andy2108

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotumDependeate View Post

EDIT: Just saw it's an '01. Assuming you still have original shocks, with lets say 100k+ miles; you will need new shocks pretty fast with after market springs.
And my '04 with 65k? Assuming original shocks (cause I have no idea)

Thinking about it, I just kinda want to go with an adjustable coil-over setup. That may be farther down the road for me. Maybe Stage 3 of my little "plan"

Old 02-05-2010, 03:35 AM   #10
Anub!s

My Ride: e92M, e46 330ci
Send a message via AIM to Anub!s Send a message via MSN to Anub!s Send a message via Yahoo to Anub!s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy2108 View Post
And my '04 with 65k? Assuming original shocks (cause I have no idea)

Thinking about it, I just kinda want to go with an adjustable coil-over setup. That may be farther down the road for me. Maybe Stage 3 of my little "plan"
no idea, I'm just basing the assumption on my shocks which are original from the factory in '01. They are almost gone and if I put those springs on, I will need new shocks in a few weeks.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:38 AM   #11
Pharaoh2716

what about the UUC tuned springs? it says those will not wear the shocks as much as other aftermarket springs will.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:52 AM   #12
Andy2108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharaoh2716 View Post
what about the UUC tuned springs? it says those will not wear the shocks as much as other aftermarket springs will.
Unless the UUC springs are some sort of magic, I call shenanigans on the advertising

Old 02-05-2010, 12:00 PM   #13
hummer

My Ride: 2001 330CI
Your original shocks are most likely ready for replacement anyway! So, lowering the car with stiffer springs and keeping the worn out shocks is not a good idea. Do springs and struts/shocks at the same time. If you haven't done arms and bushings now is also the time for those.
hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:11 PM   #14
jbugg328

My Ride: BMW 328ci
Sorry dont mean to thread jack or anything, but how can you tell when your shocks are bad?
I have h&r sport springs with 123K (just to let ya know)
thanks
to the op. Good luck lowering your car!

Instagram : JrVincent7
jbugg328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 12:20 PM   #15
mattcarle21

My Ride: is Breakin My Wallet
Just get a cup kit and call it a day. I have an 02 330ci with 138k and just recently replaced the suspension with a touring cup kit. The shocks were def blown. It feels like a new car. BTW upgrade your rear shock mounts to rogue engineering. It's a must with any suspension upgrade. The stock ones will break (even if new). I found out the hard way.

Autozone is for wannabee's, carefull cuz most of them want to be BMW owners - but can't.- Freeflow
mattcarle21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #16
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotumDependeate View Post
The best advice. The H&R Cup Kit is the best bang for your buck and will save you on labor by swapping out the springs and shocks at the same time. Your factory shocks will wear sooner with just the springs so unless you want to replace the shocks later on, I suggest doing it at once.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #17
ECSTuning
Sponsor

My Ride: BMW
With a stock sport suspension setup H&R Sport spring will not substantially wear them out. As stated above, it will all depend on your driving style and location. Also if you are considering H&R race springs like said your shocks will be toast.

We have both available, however for your application I would recommend the H&R Sports.

Click HERE to order or for more information.

Have questions? Need answers? Live Chat us! 8:30am to 12:00am Midnight EST
sales@ecstuning.com | customerservice@ecstuning.com
Customer Service Hours: M - F 8:00am - 8:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST
Sales Team Hours: M - F 8:00am - 11:00pm EST | Saturday: 10:00am - 7:00pm EST | 800.924.5172
Do you love surveys? Click HERE to take our Customer Satisfaction Survey!
ECSTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:34 PM   #18
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbugg328 View Post
Sorry dont mean to thread jack or anything, but how can you tell when your shocks are bad?
I have h&r sport springs with 123K (just to let ya know)
thanks
to the op. Good luck lowering your car!
You will notice the car continues to bounce and rebound after you have hit a bump. You can also press down on the trunk to see if the car pops back or is slow to rebound.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
330, bmw, h&r, sport, suspension