E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 04:28 PM   #21
djdonis

My Ride: 330i
I thought I would share my experience(s) on ASA GT1 wheels.
I bought a set of GT1 17" from Jet Racing in TX. Out of 4 wheels 2 were wobbling (casting defect), sent them back. Replacements arrived a week later - out of 2 wheels one was jumpy (casting defect). Lost patience and ordered one from TireRack. Upon arrival took the wheel to Firestone and put it on a balancing rig with my fingers crossed. At this point 4 Firestone guys were looking at the TireRack wheel. The balancing machine shook when the rim turned it was so out of balance and out of shape, everybody laughed in disbelief, I felt really embarassed. Now, before the wheel left the warehouse I called TireRack and begged them to please make sure the wheel is true and check it on the rig before shipping, to which I was assured it will be done...guess what. Now, I am not some picky as**hole, and there was more than one balancing rig involved including the new "Roadforce" machines (I have a "lifetime" mouting-balancing service at Firestone).
I am now waiting for two replacements, one from Jet Racing and one from TireRack. So far ASA wheels make some interesting math: out of 7 wheels sent to me so far 4 appeared to be defective that's 60% damage ratio. Both sellers swore that they never had any problems with their wheels before. The guys at Firestone say that they haven't seen that many defective wheels come from one customer before either.
I say it is just a bad product from a bad supplier. One funny detail, - all of those wheels had Quality Control stickers affixed to them which brings into question the entire quality control process in those Chinese factories. Running with just one defective wheel makes for a very uncomfortable ride.
My advice - stick to better known brands and preferably not chinese. ASA may not be worth your money or your time (or mechanic's time for that matter). I have completely lost my trust (not that I had one) in ASA brand, and now I am developing some doubts about TireRack as well (Gary, do you check your product before shipping it out?)

Last edited by djdonis; 10-22-2009 at 11:26 PM.
djdonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:50 PM   #22
jorg323

My Ride: 1999 323i
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Maybe it's just a kink with these new GT1s.

I've had ASA AR1s for about 2 years now and so far no problems. I've had more than a few encounters with killer potholes and closer-than-I-thought curbs, and my wheels have toughed it out through all.

IIRC, ASA is actually a S. Korean company (which I think gives it more credibility off the bat than Chinese companies), and I believe they license their fabrication technology from BBS, so I always assumed they had pretty good quality standards. Also, FWIW, I've always had a great experience with Tire Rack in the past (I used to work at a shop that did a lot if biz with them, and I even bought my ASAs through them).

18" Black ASA AR1 Rims | Yokohama Advan S4 Tires | Bilstein Sport Shocks | Eibach Pro-Kit Springs | Brembo Slotted Rotors | 6000k Xenons | 6000k P. Chrom. Angel Eyes | Eagle Eye LED Tail Lights | K&N FIPK CAI | M-Tech II Front Bumper | 35% Tint | Clear Corners | Matte Black Grille
jorg323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:22 AM   #23
shadow 2

My Ride: 07 328i
This experience is very troubling for me. I have been contemplating getting these wheels in the spring to replace my three bent OEM wheels. Now I am not sure. You can't write off this many defective wheels from two sellers as just a bad run. BTW, Tire Rack now shows these wheels are made in China, not Korea, so all the concerns of inferior QC from China is on the table again. I fear I will just have to bite the bullet and buy BBS wheels to assure I get something that is built right.
shadow 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:41 PM   #24
djdonis

Here is the update: I have received the replacement wheel from tirerack, took it straight to Firestone. Took the wheel out and immediately noticed the crack on the outer lip. We put the wheel on balancing rig anyway and what do you know - it is completely off centered. Absolute waste of time, ridiculous. I called TireRack again, they are full of apologies as usual. At this point I am getting really pissed. I am basically riding on three wheels for a couple of weeks now and guys at Jet Racing or at TireRack just don't care. I wonder what Gary from TireRack has to say about this.

I actually called Gary and left a message asking to check as to how many returns of ASA wheels they have had in the past couple of months or so. I firmly believe that Chinese manufacturer ran the molds (that they bought used from Korean company) to the point where they can not produce true wheel anymore. The wheel is supposed to be round, not egg shaped, figure 8, elliptical or otherwise.

The guys at TireRack are not dumb, I suppose, and they are capable of seeing what I am seeing - the wheels that are not ROUND. It is strange that after the first wobbly wheel they would send another one just as bad. We can complain about Chinese suppliers all we want, but hey, check what you are selling to your customers!

Last edited by djdonis; 10-26-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #25
generic 330i

My Ride: 2004 330i
5 bad wheels out of 8

At the rate you are going you'll finally get a working set in time for Christmas
generic 330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:16 PM   #26
shadow 2

Keep us posted how this is resolved. This situation is obviously unacceptable and hopefully Tire Rack will make it right. However, even if the matter is resolved to your satisfaction, your experience is a red flag for anyone even remotely considering the purchase of ASA wheels. They are off my list now.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #27
Gary@Tirerack

My Ride: 1995 BMW M3
I'm sorry to hear/read about this and am pretty surprised by it. Unfortunately I do not have data on the return rates (I'm in product testing and sales so I'm not involved in returns, shipping or warranties/defects) but I did forward this information and experience to our customer service manager. I don't recall ever seeing or hearing about issues with any other ASA wheels in the past ten years or so that we've sold them. I was able to see where we requested that the warehouse check the wheel before shipping it but apparently that was not done. If you aren't able to get satisfaction from your current customer service rep, please don't hesitate to ask for our customer service manager, Marti.

Click sig! -->

Gary@Tirerack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:48 PM   #28
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
woww...
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #29
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
damn, i saw them in a mag and liked the price. but forget about it now.
i thought ASA was made by BBS? wtf?
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:41 PM   #30
jorg323

My Ride: 1999 323i
hmmm... well thanks for the update, and keep us posted on any developments. Given the above-mentioned positive experience I've had with ASA, I would've been inclined to buy from them again, but if quality control has really slipped so much since then, I'll be hesitant to use them when the time comes in the future.

18" Black ASA AR1 Rims | Yokohama Advan S4 Tires | Bilstein Sport Shocks | Eibach Pro-Kit Springs | Brembo Slotted Rotors | 6000k Xenons | 6000k P. Chrom. Angel Eyes | Eagle Eye LED Tail Lights | K&N FIPK CAI | M-Tech II Front Bumper | 35% Tint | Clear Corners | Matte Black Grille
jorg323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 06:57 PM   #31
shadow 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
damn, i saw them in a mag and liked the price. but forget about it now.
i thought ASA was made by BBS? wtf?
Not true. ASA bought the right to use BBS technology a number of years ago when they opened their new plant in Korea, but BBS never made their wheels. When I first started looking at ASA about a year ago, Tire Rack showed the wheels were made in Korea at an ISO 9000 plant. Within the last six months or so, Tire Rack showed China as the country of origin for these wheels. When I saw this, I checked out ASA's web site and saw they also make OEM wheels for Kia and Hyudai. I wonder if the skyrocketing sales of these OEM wheels has forced ASA to transfer aftermarket production out of Korea and into an inferior Chinese plant.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:31 PM   #32
djdonis

Received yet another replacement from TireRack, took it to Firestone just to check it out. At this point Firestone guys are not saying anything - if the wheel is true or not, they just tell me to look at the wheel and tell them if I'd like it on my car. I will mount this wheel tomorrow, but before I do that I will take my camera and shoot a little video of what I'm talking about. Even if the wheel seems to be straight, no wobble, no jumping, there is uneven casting that could be observed on the inside of the outer lip. When the wheel is turned you can see the portion of the wheel that is behind the spokes going up and down a bit. This phenomenon is featured on almost all of the ASA wheels I have. The latest replacement wheel scored "only" 1.25 oz off balance on the rig with no tires and weights.
ASA has been a HUGE disappointment for me. I was trying to replace stock staggered sports package wheels (that I thought were vibrating just a bit) with something solid, that would give me vibration-free ride (and I do ride on average 200-300 miles a day). Besides having non-staggered setup would have allowed me to rotate the tires and avoid excessive tire wear that I experience with the staggered wheel setup. I put my stock wheels back and now I feel I made a mistake in trying to replace them. Oh, and ASA centering ring with retaining spring is worth a separate topic...
Old 11-03-2009, 05:45 PM   #33
djdonis

Update: Received the replacement from TireRack and another one from Jet Racing (they get their wheels from the same TireRack). At this point I feel really stupid and tired. Both wheels appeared to be defective, and it comes from Firestone techs. Both wheels are off centered. Picture this, draw one big circle then smaller one inside the big circle, now move the smaller circle to the right (see attached drawing). That's how the wheels look like. It's a casting defect. When you spin the wheel the inside bead moves up and down, the wheels are thicker on one side and thinner on the other.

Both RireRack and Jet Racing swore that I'm the only one complaining about this. Firestone supervising tech even drew the sketch with all the measurements and faxed it to TireRack for their review. Customer service rep suggested to the Firestone guys and then to me that my car is bad (I run another set of wheels just fine), that the machines at Firestone are not good and that their wheels are perfect since they check them for balance on their machines (I agree, even off centered they will balance out but the wheels are still crap). Basically it is my fault that the wheels they are selling are no good. Funny thing is that two ASA wheels are perfect and one is a little off balance.

Finally TireRack said that they will not do business with me anymore, period. Jet Racing are sending one more replacement.

Just to rule out all the possibilities I will take the rims to a privately owned reputable shop and let them look at the wheels. It seems quite impossible to get 7 bad wheels out of 10. But again, I see what I see, and so do other 10 or so various techs at Firestone. I can't waste anymore time on this and every time I have to travel to a shop with 18 moth baby on my hands...

DO NOT BUY CHINESE MADE PRODUCTS FOR GERMAN CARS!

I just wish I never purchased these wheels in the first place.

I wonder if anybody else had similar problems with recently purchased Chinese made ASA wheels.

Update: Took wheels to different shop this morning, same results. Different balancing rigs don't make defects disappear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	badwheel.gif
Views:	75
Size:	5.3 KB
ID:	337358  

Last edited by djdonis; 11-04-2009 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:40 AM   #34
Castel101

My Ride: E92 335i, E46 323i
So what happened with these? Did you get a refund or what did yo end up doing? I'm liked how the wheels looked and I was thinking of getting 16" ones for my winter setup, now I don't know...

335i Coupe / SG on BK / 6MT / ZSP / ZPP / ZCP / NAV / CA
Alufelgen SF71 19"s | BMW OEM SSK | M-Sport Steering Wheel & Shift Knob | LUX H8 | Mtech + CF diffuser + Quad tips | M3 Spoiler
Castel101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 12:37 PM   #35
djdonis

I sent them back to Jet Racing and let eBay handle the refund (which I received + eBay coupon for shipping charges). Later I picked up a set of original 18" Hamann HM2 from a local seller. I don't think I am going as to even look the direction of chinese made wheels, ever.
Old 12-30-2009, 02:09 PM   #36
Riverbmr3

My Ride: slow 3
thats why i got mine from a tested and proven for wheels- VMR, no headache
Riverbmr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 04:48 PM   #37
Castel101

My Ride: E92 335i, E46 323i
Yeah, I like VMR wheels but they only carry 18/19" wheels and since I currently have 17" and I'm shopping for a winter package it doesn't really make sense, + they would be pricier. Tirerack has the GT1s 16" for $130 so that's why I was looking at them. Thanks for the advice though!

335i Coupe / SG on BK / 6MT / ZSP / ZPP / ZCP / NAV / CA
Alufelgen SF71 19"s | BMW OEM SSK | M-Sport Steering Wheel & Shift Knob | LUX H8 | Mtech + CF diffuser + Quad tips | M3 Spoiler
Castel101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 07:08 PM   #38
shadow 2

No sane person reading this thread would ever buy ASA wheels.
Old 02-05-2010, 07:05 PM   #39
pwr2panda

My Ride: Prefacelift E46 4dr
wow...good read...and I was considering getting ASA GT1 wheels too...thank goodness for search. BUMP
pwr2panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:22 AM   #40
shadow 2

Would be nice if Tire Rack or better yet ASA responded to this thread. Called Tire Rack about six months ago about these wheels. The guy I spoke to did not say anything bad about them, but steered me toward another brand at about the same price. The developments unfolded on this thread tell me that Tire Rack knows about QC problems with these wheels. Too bad since they look great and sell for a great price.