E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 12:51 AM   #1
MUNDA

My Ride: BMW 328CI
uugh?! Clutch alignment.

Alright, so i am installing my SAC clutch into my car, i used the stock alignment tool that comes with the kit. And guess what, the stupid thing did NOT work. The friction plate is not centered, thus wont allow the input shaft of the transmission to go into the crankshaft bearing.

Any ideas on what i can do to get this going

MUNDA
MUNDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:56 AM   #2
neil1138

Which alignment tool came with the kit? Because the cheapo one doesn't really work. This is the one you should have gotten:

On the right

neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:38 AM   #3
MUNDA

i got the cheapo plastic one..... even if i buy the tool, how will i do this
Old 02-06-2010, 01:50 AM   #4
neil1138

Properly installing the SAC: Set the clutch disk in place, unscrew the bolt from the end of the special clutch alignment tool and put the alignment tool into the pilot bearing, then you are supposed to set the pressure plate in place. Keeping the shipping plate attached to the pressure plate (ninja star looking thing) and bolts the pressure plate in a bit. The way this clutch alignment tool works is that it's shorter so it fits behind the shipping plate, then once you have everything aligned and you bolt in the pressure plate. You get that 14mm allen or w/e massive size it was (can't remember) and you take off the shipping plate. Now you will be able to see the clutch alignment tool that has been hidden behind the shipping plate. You put that bolt back into the end of the special alignment tool and pull it out, done.

From what you have done now, not having aligned the clutch disk properly. You have already set your SAC so once you undo the pressure plate to get the disk realigned, the pressure plate will self adjust and lock in place, making it unusable unless you reset it. Which can be done using this DIY

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=629140

I guess you can just take the SAC off and realign it properly then put the pressure plate back but I don't know how that really works with it adjusting. From my understanding, you need to reset it before installing it back. I installed mine using my special alignment tool so I don't know a detailed description on how to fix it, sorry man. I used to have a great link on how to properly install a SAC but I can't find it anymore
neil1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
MUNDA

Is there any way to align the clutch without removing the pressure plate?