E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2009, 11:05 AM   #21
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggieE46 View Post
Where does one go to get a clutch/flywheel balanced? I might have to take mine off, wouldn't mind having this done.
Afraid I can't offer any recommendations since I haven't dealt with this myself. You might check with Chad, the guys at Vorshlag, or Jerry @ Eurosport (assuming he's still there) for recommendations.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:14 AM   #22
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ3 View Post
...GL man. So I guess you're just going to try the CM tob?
That would be my preferred path at this point unless the shop can offer evidence as to why this would be a problem (I'm not convinced the CM tob was ever a problem). By the time I get any feedback from the shop, I'm afraid I may find that I'm already back to a stock clutch.
04 IR 330i ZHP | ESS TS2+ SC | MagnaFlow "headers" | KMS 3.64 LSD | AST 4100 550/650| APEX ARC-8 18x9 | H&R front sway bar | Vorshlag camber plates, RTAB limiters | TMS subframe & swaybar reinforcements | UUC SSK & DSSR | UUC TM & TME | BW motor mounts | Dinan strut & shock tower bars | vaio 4-bolt oil pump
Old 09-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #23
rhm325i

My Ride: 02 BMW 325i
sounds like a synchro. especially since you said it only happens at high rpm
rhm325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:00 PM   #24
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Cool, I'll ask Chad.

I think my RMS is leaking... the one I just installed. I'm afraid I'll be taking it apart

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxZHP04 View Post
Afraid I can't offer any recommendations since I haven't dealt with this myself. You might check with Chad, the guys at Vorshlag, or Jerry @ Eurosport (assuming he's still there) for recommendations.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #25
aggieE46
Keep it clean

If they stick the stock one back in, bring it over. We'll get under her and get it done.

Quote:
That would be my preferred path at this point unless the shop can offer evidence as to why this would be a problem (I'm not convinced the CM tob was ever a problem). By the time I get any feedback from the shop, I'm afraid I may find that I'm already back to a stock clutch.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:15 PM   #26
TxZHP04

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhm325i View Post
sounds like a synchro. especially since you said it only happens at high rpm
Worn synchros should only cause a problem with engagement, not disengagement. My primary symptom is being stuck in gear.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:21 PM   #27
TxZHP04

Quote:
Cool, I'll ask Chad.

I think my RMS is leaking... the one I just installed. I'm afraid I'll be taking it apart
That's a bummer. Sure it's not just the back end of the valve cover?

Quote:
If they stick the stock one back in, bring it over. We'll get under her and get it done.
Might just have to do that.
Old 09-09-2009, 03:53 PM   #28
aggieE46
Keep it clean

Nope, it's coming from the rear of the oil pan. I'll know for sure when I do the pan gasket next week.

Chad said his machinist could do it. I may order a new clutch disc, just for kicks. Might as well. It was a bit thin when I put it in.

Quote:
That's a bummer. Sure it's not just the back end of the valve cover?

Might just have to do that.
Old 09-09-2009, 08:17 PM   #29
TxZHP04

Well, my shop is waiting on some feedback from CM to figure out how to proceed. Maybe there is still hope.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:24 PM   #30
TxZHP04

Much to my satisfaction, my shop has shown they are committed to getting to the bottom of this. As a result my clutch, flywheel, and transmission will be vacationing at CM for a few days next week so that their experts can get this sorted out.
Old 09-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #31
TxZHP04

Since a few people have already started to ask, here's an update on my clutch issues.

I got the car back last Wednesday after the transmission, clutch, and flywheel had been shipped to ClutchMasters to get everything sorted out. According to CM, the fulcrum point wasn't quite right with the original pressure plate so they provided new parts to correct that and shipped everything back. Due to an accident during the reinstall, I also ended up getting a new slave cylinder. Pedal effort is feather light now (too light for my taste really) and I haven't had any issues with grinding or kickback through the shifter. Unfortunately it's still binding up at the top of second gear and I also now have a little squeak when depressing the clutch (likely either the pedal bushing or a problem with the latest TO bearing).

Not sure what I want to do next. It might just be time to go back to stock and see if that solves all the problems. I could always try a different aftermarket clutch later if removing the FX100 solves the problem.

With all the aftermarket parts I've dealt with, I never expected something as commonly replaced as the clutch to be the only thing to ever give me troubles.

Last edited by TxZHP04; 09-26-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:02 AM   #32
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
Is the clutch engaging early? (pedal position I mean)

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #33
TxZHP04

At this point, the engagement feels pretty normal.

Before everything was shipped off to CM, the engagement point was completely down at the floor. When disengaging the clutch, pedal resistance was constant and stiff all the way to the floor. With most clutches I've driven, pedal effort typically eases up just a bit once you reach a certain point but it never seemed to reach that point. The behavior seemed in line with the clutch not fully disengaging due to lack of travel resulting from an incorrect fulcrum point.

Now, even though the pedal effort is really light forcing me to really pay attention to feel what's going on, it seems to reach that break point where the pedal effort eases up a bit just prior to reaching full travel. It still just seems really odd to me that this problem only occurs at the very top of 2nd gear and never with shifts below 5-6k rpm.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:10 AM   #34
TxZHP04

Final Update

All problems have been resolved. No binding, no vibration, nothing but smooth shifting! Unfortunately, I had to give up on the CM clutch and return to stock.

Still don't have a complete understanding of why the CM unit wouldn't fully disengage but at this point I am beyond caring. Since I first took the car in for the clutch & flywheel replacement, I've had 3 different CM clutches in the car - all of which had problems. All 3 had engagement/disengagement issues. The first was substantially out of balance and the 3rd also had some minor vibration < 2k rpm.

I've heard nothing but good things about the CM clutches in the past, so I have to admit to being a little surprised with all these problems. CM never left me hanging, they were always willing to seek a resolution to these problems but unfortunately after 3 attempts we weren't any closer to making it work - even after shipping them my transmission, clutch, and flywheel for analysis. Hopefully they will get this ironed out in the future but in the mean time, I'm afraid I can't recommend a CM clutch for the non-M 6-spd.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #35
aggieE46
Keep it clean

Bummer. Well, hopefully it'll hold up to more abuse.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:26 AM   #36
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Quote:
All problems have been resolved. No binding, no vibration, nothing but smooth shifting! Unfortunately, I had to give up on the CM clutch and return to stock.

Still don't have a complete understanding of why the CM unit wouldn't fully disengage but at this point I am beyond caring. Since I first took the car in for the clutch & flywheel replacement, I've had 3 different CM clutches in the car - all of which had problems. All 3 had engagement/disengagement issues. The first was substantially out of balance and the 3rd also had some minor vibration < 2k rpm.

I've heard nothing but good things about the CM clutches in the past, so I have to admit to being a little surprised with all these problems. CM never left me hanging, they were always willing to seek a resolution to these problems but unfortunately after 3 attempts we weren't any closer to making it work - even after shipping them my transmission, clutch, and flywheel for analysis. Hopefully they will get this ironed out in the future but in the mean time, I'm afraid I can't recommend a CM clutch for the non-M 6-spd.
Thread revival...
I'm looking to get a clutch kit now, and after reading about your clutch issues I'm a bit reluctant to go with CM, given the fact that I'm overseas and I can't afford any clutch related defect/issue.

Are you satisfied with the stock unit now? I'm a bit lost of what to get.