E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 12:16 AM   #1
arb76

My Ride: BMW 318i SE touring
Handbrake!!

My handbrake has never been much good, slack up until the 5th/6th click & requiring it to be on the 11th/12th click (max) before it held the car on the gentlist of slopes.
I decided to have a go at fixing it myself, bought the Haynes manual, followed the handbrake adjustment procedure, however, it's still rubbish!

Unlike before, the handbrake now has tension on the 2nd click & becomes high tension on the 7th/8th click, as the book says it should do, but the brake still doesn't hold the car, even if I yank it up to the 11th click!

It is a tiny bit better than before, but still not doing the job it's meant to.
Can anyone suggest what the problem is?

Ps - holds slightly better when facing down hill, crap up hill

Last edited by arb76; 02-14-2010 at 07:23 PM.
arb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:28 AM   #2
lafabritto325ci

My Ride: 2008 E90 335i
sooot.. mine i have to park it in gear on the slightest hill..... so +1 to hear a fix
Old 02-14-2010, 06:22 PM   #3
bAby norAA

My Ride: 01 BMW 330i
im with you on this one. could u post up the procedure for the tightening you did?
bAby norAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
arb76

1. Chock front wheels, jack up the rear, support with axle stands, remove rear wheels.
2. With handbrake fully released, undo the cable locknuts until tension is released. (gain access to these by removing the lever gaiter from the centre console - pull it up from the back)
3. Position the wheel/disc so that one of the bolt holes is at the top, & using a torch, shine it into the next hole back. You should be able to see an adjuster knurled ring, if not, reposition the wheel/disc slightly until you can.
4. Using a flat blade screwdriver, insert it into the bolt hole so that it catches & fully expand the handbrake shoes by rotating the adjuster knurled ring.
5. When the wheel/disc can no longer be turned, back the knurled ring off by 10 teeth (catches) so that the wheel/disc is free to rotate easily.
6. Do the other wheel.
7. With handbrake on 6th click, retighten the nuts equally until it is difficult to turn both rear wheels.
8. Release handbrake & make sure both wheels rotate freely.
9. The handbrake shoes should start to contact on the 2nd click. Handbrake should be fully on at the 7th/8th click.
10. Put back together & test. (on a slope - safely!)

As this didn't work for me, I'm going to remove the handbrake shoes & bits. Hopefully this week, I'll keep you posted.
Old 02-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
bAby norAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by arb76 View Post
1. Chock front wheels, jack up the rear, support with axle stands, remove rear wheels.
2. With handbrake fully released, undo the cable locknuts until tension is released. (gain access to these by removing the lever gaiter from the centre console - pull it up from the back)
3. Position the wheel/disc so that one of the bolt holes is at the top, & using a torch, shine it into the next hole back. You should be able to see an adjuster knurled ring, if not, reposition the wheel/disc slightly until you can.
4. Using a flat blade screwdriver, insert it into the bolt hole so that it catches & fully expand the handbrake shoes by rotating the adjuster knurled ring.
5. When the wheel/disc can no longer be turned, back the knurled ring off by 10 teeth (catches) so that the wheel/disc is free to rotate easily.
6. Do the other wheel.
7. With handbrake on 6th click, retighten the nuts equally until it is difficult to turn both rear wheels.
8. Release handbrake & make sure both wheels rotate freely.
9. The handbrake shoes should start to contact on the 2nd click. Handbrake should be fully on at the 7th/8th click.
10. Put back together & test. (on a slope - safely!)

As this didn't work for me, I'm going to remove the handbrake shoes & bits. Hopefully this week, I'll keep you posted.
Thank you very much! That was very useful. Do you think you could take step 7 and tighten the nuts back down on a lower click? ie click 2 or 3?
Old 02-15-2010, 06:10 AM   #6
arb76

I don't see why not, as long as the wheels turn freely when the handbrake is fully released. My wife's car (Peugeot) is on full brake on the 3rd/4th click, but it might be designed to be so. I'm just going by what the BMW book says.

However, in my case at least, I reckon there's something else wrong, as the tension is sufficient on the 7th/8th click, & holds on a moderate incline, yet doesn't on a decent incline; even when on the 11th click, which pretty much takes all my strength!

A handbrake should hold whatever the incline.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:20 AM   #7
CroVlado

My Ride: 2004 MB BMW M3
Send a message via AIM to CroVlado
since u already did the tightening of the brakes themselves all u have to do is tighten the screws on the handbrake some more adjust it to what u like dont have to go by the book.. i had the same problem and now its fixed.

| 04 Mystic Blue M3 | 07 White R6 |

MY LAGUNA SECA BLUE INTERIOR DYE PROJECT
CroVlado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:13 AM   #8
arb76

You look the trustworthy sort, i shall try tensioning at lower clicks ...& post back.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:16 AM   #9
BMWstudent

My Ride: hates potholes
I need to try this. buying ~150 in parts to do the ebrake is not my idea of fun... hopefully this works for now.
BMWstudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:25 AM   #10
bAby norAA

Incase anyone needs pics, they can be found here...
http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/tech...Adjustment.htm
Old 02-15-2010, 11:01 AM   #11
arb76

Well done that man. I was going to post pictures scanned from my manual, but these are much better.