E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2009, 05:15 PM   #1
apollotrance1

My Ride: '02 330i, '05 GSXR1k
e46 with a non-BMW v8 s e46 swap???

Didnt someone already do this??? I did some searching but didnt come up with anything solid. I was thinking about the pros and cons of dropping something like an LS1 or something along that line in my e46 sedan. I seen a thread over at bf.com and it was a dead end. Anyone have any info on this swap????
apollotrance1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:19 AM   #2
mrshelley

My Ride: 2004 330i
Over on bimmerforums, there is a forum just devoted to engine transplants in various BMW's.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
apollotrance1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshelley View Post
Over on bimmerforums, there is a forum just devoted to engine transplants in various BMW's.
Yeah I know about that, but no one has any solid info on putting an LSx motor in the e46 chassis.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
downwithbrown7

My Ride: BMW M3 Droptop
benefits are massive power,astounding exhaust note,ect..
but it would be difficult to do bc none of the wiring would match.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:57 AM   #5
apollotrance1

The swap itself is pretty straight forward and easy. The wiring would be the problem. But then again, you would have to change out the electronics if you did an m3 swap as well.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:30 AM   #6
95blkmax

My Ride: 00 BMW 328i
Send a message via AIM to 95blkmax
Not sure about the bimmers in particular, but a lot of guys that stick LSx's into other cars (for example, my buddy has a 93 nissan 240sx who is putting an LS2 into it) simply put a carb'd LS engine. They dont have to worry at all about wiring. Only thing is the ignition timing since it doesnt come with a distributor, so the coils just need a control box that can be acquired from MSD that is used specifically for these cases, and that's it!

Later on he plans on going fuel injected, at which point he'd require the standard top (intake manifold, TB, fuel injectors and rails, fuel pump and another control box that can be acquire from MSD, and there is it, fuel injected LS engine running independent from the car's original wiring except for battery and starter signal.

Keep in mind that in the process you will have to sacrifice two things (that may or may not be that important to you)= Power steering, and Air Conditioning. You COULD make it work but you'd have to go to a custom line manufacturer for both the AC lines AND the p/s pump/ reservoir lines... and this wont be cheap. Oh yea... emissions would be a whole other issue, depending of course on the laws in your area. But then again, you're in FL, so all the power to you!

Someone jump in and correct me if Im wrong or missing any info here! Im far from perfect

Hi, my name is 95BlkMax, and I am a Boostaholic
"DANGER TO MANIFOLD!!!!" O_o!
95blkmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:55 AM   #7
octane_matty

My Ride: e36 328i
I have been trying to find information on this topic too but still havent found anything.

Since nahrods/vorshlag already have LSx swap kits for e36, its worth asking...what differences does the e46 harness have over the e36? sure there were more features on the e46 e.g. gps,tv,memory mirrors...but what critical things have changed that are required for the dash instruments, climate control and body electrics to work?
octane_matty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:23 PM   #8
03goobs

My Ride: Car-less
You could get a harness for the LSX that only requires a reprogrammed ECU and 2-4 wires to get the LSX motor running. I've done several into older GMs and 240s and rewired the stock harness. All it needs is 12V constant, switched and the fuel pump relay to run. BMW gauges probably won't work, but most A/C compressors work the same as well as the power steering pump.
03goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 11:42 AM   #9
xixixi
Banned User

My Ride: 01 330x-xi
been done weight is really not a issue ls motors are light maybe like 10 lbs heavier. i just wonder why? why drop a motor thats not refined in a bmw?? depending on what ls you using... the liter to hp ratio is 4th rate 6.0 for 400 hp less than 70 hp per liter anyway way off topic yes you can do it yes others have it's not hard, i never would though just my 2 cents
xixixi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:01 PM   #10
AdamBath

My Ride: E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by xixixi View Post
been done weight is really not a issue ls motors are light maybe like 10 lbs heavier. i just wonder why? why drop a motor thats not refined in a bmw?? depending on what ls you using... the liter to hp ratio is 4th rate 6.0 for 400 hp less than 70 hp per liter anyway way off topic yes you can do it yes others have it's not hard, i never would though just my 2 cents
Not refined? Someone has brainwashed you. The LSx platform is an excellent, well refined platform. You think 70hp/liter is bad? The M54B30 is only pushing 75/liter, is that so much better? The LSx platform has so much headroom for power, it's not even funny.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:23 AM   #11
xixixi
Banned User

lol thats your opinion i'd least compare to an M motor it's whatever
Old 02-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #12
AdamBath

Quote:
lol thats your opinion i'd least compare to an M motor it's whatever
My opinion, based on plenty of fact.
Old 02-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #13
xixixi
Banned User

lol someone looking for an argument and won't find one any motor can be great just add money
Old 02-15-2010, 03:05 PM   #14
AdamBath

Quote:
lol someone looking for an argument and won't find one any motor can be great just add money
I'm not looking for an argument, you don't have one.
Old 02-15-2010, 03:18 PM   #15
dfjaws

My Ride: '08 E90 M3 / '02 Z3
Personally, I don't think Chevy motors belong in a BMW. To me, the heart of what makes a BMW a BMW is the engine. Even the lowly M54B25 has some pretty trick things about it. To me, there's nothing special about a V8 (especially stupid pushrod, 16 valve nascar motors). God gave Moses the pushrod V8.
Old 12-21-2012, 03:23 AM   #16
Johnson023
Banned User

My Ride: SDF
I'm guessing he is referring to the fact that they can be found cheaply for Honda motors. I remember seeing numerous sources for my ex girlfriends Integra and Civic.
Johnson023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #17
ac_2007

My Ride: F32 M4, E46 M3/325i
I'm sure he was.. back in 2010 when the last post in this thread was.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #18
SoloII///M

My Ride: Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfjaws View Post
Personally, I don't think Chevy motors belong in a BMW. To me, the heart of what makes a BMW a BMW is the engine. Even the lowly M54B25 has some pretty trick things about it. To me, there's nothing special about a V8 (especially stupid pushrod, 16 valve nascar motors). God gave Moses the pushrod V8.
Wow, back in 2010 people said some stupid stuff.