E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-19-2010, 04:42 PM   #1
tim330i
Owner/Admin

My Ride: 03 Ti Silver M3
Audi Calls BMW "The One Who Fell a Bit Short" - Is Audi Pulling Ahead in the Ad War?

In the never ending quest for one-uping each other BMW and Audi have given us some entertaining commercials, ads and billboards, the most famous of recent memory being the Santa Monica BMW checkmate billboard created in response to a local Audi dealership billboard.

It looks like Audi corporate is now getting in on the fun by highlighting BMW's defeat in three straight Car and Driver comparisons say - "second best, the one who fell a bit short". But don't let me ruin it for you, watch the ad and tell us what you think!

In another commercial Audi throws a dig at BMW along with Lexus, Mercedes and Ferrari.

What is BMW going to do to answer these Audi commercials? Tell us what would make the best BMW commercial to put Audi in their place.
tim330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:08 PM   #2
SDKmann

My Ride: 01 Cherokee
Car and Driver reviews are a joke. Once magazines like that stop taking funds from car manufacturers then I may consider their reviews legitimate sources of information again.
SDKmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
UncleDon

My Ride: '05 325iT '86 911
Isn't an Audi just a Volkswagen with leather and lock washers?
Old 02-19-2010, 08:41 PM   #4
98mustangguy

My Ride: 04-325i, 00-s4
Well i have to say it. My audi IS an all around better car. Faster, better handling, quieter cabin, more comfortable, better gas mileage, better factory stereo, more options in package (like heated steering,lock,washers just to name a few) more reliable but yes i like my bmw
98mustangguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:50 PM   #5
rares

My Ride: 02 S54
Send a message via AIM to rares Send a message via Yahoo to rares Send a message via Skype™ to rares
well, you know all these commercials are nothing but entertainment without the consumer going in a walking out with the product... so to me these are entertaining... I love my e46 nomatter how much cooler the audi is or it is said to be... no disrespect to anyone, to each his own, but i will never be buying another car ever again...

sooo audi can say whatever they want, to me personally they lost...

IMO
Old 02-19-2010, 11:39 PM   #6
zuckuss00

My Ride: K24Z7
As much as I love BMW! I will admit Audi is making much better looking cars right now! Audi does lack in the power department and their cost is outragous. BMW does need to step it up! Mercedes and Audi are pulling ahead!

UUC Motorwerks | Vörsteiner | JLeviSW | VMR | DTM-Spec | Euro Dyne | ModBargains | EAS
zuckuss00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 12:32 AM   #7
Acarder

My Ride: 69' M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98mustangguy View Post
Well i have to say it. My audi IS an all around better car. Faster, better handling, quieter cabin, more comfortable, better gas mileage, better factory stereo, more options in package (like heated steering,lock,washers just to name a few) more reliable but yes i like my bmw
I am surprised your 2.7l twin turbo Audi is faster than your base model 2.5l NA BMW.
I am surprised your S4 handles better than a base model 3 series (this one may be genuine).
I am surprised your S4 is more comfortable than your seemingly no-optioned base model 3 series
I don't believe your S4 has better gas mileage than your 325.
I don't care what stereo is better but i'm going to assume you don't have the HK package.
I don't care you're comparing a poorly optioned base model 3 series to your S4

If you didn't catch the drift, that's a pretty silly comparison because they're completely different cars. I agree the S4 is a better car than your 325, but it doesn't mean much.
Acarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:27 AM   #8
E46330iguy

My Ride: Supercharged 330i
Alot of These car commercials compare cars that dont even match up. like a twin turbo 2.7 for example. amost the same size but twin turbo. Audi makes great cars not doubt about it . Alot of the times its like Comparing a Jeep to a M3. And jeep saying that BMW sucks because the M3 cant off road. Every make and model of car suits a different person and personality. But ill stick with my BMW for curvy lines My Camaro for straight line fine and my old truck for off road fun. even theses vehicles. you can compare one to the either.

you've Met a terrible fate haven't you ?

KONI /Michelin/Stoptec/Borla/ Bimmerbrake / MTechII/AA Stage one (for now) Automatic--->5 speed swap/ UUC High performance clutch kit

Questions about Header wrap? clickHere
Supercharger build thread click Here
E46330iguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 03:51 AM   #9
SD 328I

My Ride: S197, E90, and 1125R
I think if you look at the sales, at least US figures, Audi is far behind almost everyone else. 2009 Top Luxury US car sales:

1. Lexus 215,975
2. BMW 196,502
3. Mercedes 190,604
4. Cadillac 109,092
5. Acura 105,723
6. Audi 82,716

As you can see, at least in the US, Audi is 6th place in total sales. Those Audi commercials need to be "strong" and "edgy" in order to get more peoples attention and increase their sales.

That being said, I think if I was in the market for a new car, it would probably be a new Audi A4 Avant Wagon. I'm not a fan of the current crop of BMWs, except maybe the E92 series.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:58 AM   #10
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Audi can suck it.
Old 02-20-2010, 06:47 AM   #11
98mustangguy

My Ride: 04-325i, 00-s4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acarder View Post
I am surprised your 2.7l twin turbo Audi is faster than your base model 2.5l NA BMW.
I am surprised your S4 handles better than a base model 3 series (this one may be genuine).
I am surprised your S4 is more comfortable than your seemingly no-optioned base model 3 series
I don't believe your S4 has better gas mileage than your 325.
I don't care what stereo is better but i'm going to assume you don't have the HK package.
I don't care you're comparing a poorly optioned base model 3 series to your S4

If you didn't catch the drift, that's a pretty silly comparison because they're completely different cars. I agree the S4 is a better car than your 325, but it doesn't mean much.
LOL i was comparing to my wifes 02 a4 not my s4. and yes the audi is much better all around. that said i do like the 325 im not saying its shabby in any way. just that appples to apples audis are better cars. that said i would gladly trade my s4 in on a m3 because personally i like the bmws better but thats a personal opinion. the fact remains that audis are better cars.
98mustangguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:00 AM   #12
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Those commercials are funny!
Especially the mercedes part!

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:08 AM   #13
UncleDon

My Ride: '05 325iT '86 911
Just a little of my personal experience, (your mileage may vary)...

In 2001 I purchased a new A4 Avant with a 1.8T and 5 speed transmission.
In 2005 I traded it for a new 325iT Touring also with a 5 speed.

The Audi was APR chipped so it had about 225 HP compaired to the 325iT at 184 HP.
Both cars weigh about 3350 lbs. Quattro robs some power but the Audi had more power once the boost was on.

So... just like a S4 vs. a ZHP, the Audi has more power on paper, but...
The BMW is smoother and more refined. It handles better and rides better.
The weight balance is better and the suspension tuning is better along with the steering feel.
The BMW brakes have a stronger, more solid feel. The BMW is more fun to drive overall.

The Audi had much more wind noise at 70 mph. The BMWs doors have a heaver, more solid feel.
The Audi had one seal that goes all the way around each door opening, the BMW has two.
The BMW seats are better on my back and the BMW has far less rattles than the Audi.
Also the few rattles in the BMW have been easy to find and fix.
In the Audi the rattles just seemed to keep coming back.
The Bose Stereo in the Audi was better than the BMW H/K but it didn't have steering wheel controls.
The Audi had a number of warranty issues that had to be repaired, including replacing the door hinges because they started to bind.
The BMW has never been back to the dealer.

The only time I miss my Audi is when it snows because I now drive a Subie in the Winter. Personally, I would not buy another Audi.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:06 AM   #14
n2Bimmer

My Ride: Loves Corners
Plus one to acarder....... bmw for life, who cares what audi does, they're just trying to hard. Bmw knows they're better they don't need to spend all the money to show it. The bmw drivers will tell you
Old 02-20-2010, 01:49 PM   #15
OBaero3er

My Ride: 2002 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTKHarris View Post
Audi can suck it.

Audi can lick my gooch
Old 02-20-2010, 02:49 PM   #16
Another BM

My Ride: 330ci
lol my friend has an 01 s4 and he's always trying to compare it to my 330ci..
he says it faster and awd so it must be better... lol i would love to see how slow that car is without its turbos..

either way i remember a night out.

so we're at a club talking to 2 girls and one girl asked us what we drive.. he says AUDI with a huge smile..
i just say bmw normally and both girls are like OMG you have a bimmer.

He got so jealous and bluets out my audi will blow his car out of the water.. the girls just look at him like hes a loser. and says ughhh w/e bmws are still better.. He was SOOO pissed i loved it.

ahh man so funny
Old 02-20-2010, 06:05 PM   #17
///M_CHAMP

My Ride: M3
No hate for Audi. Obviously being on a BMW forum you are going to get bias opinions. I have a M3 and I have a S4. More fun to drive is the M3, but the Audi just feels better as a daily driver. Better looking interior, quiet cabinet, more power on straight. I love both cars. I do agree with the commercials, Audi is growing faster than all its competitors! BMW isn't where it used to be or should be after the E46, Audi just took huge leaps and I personally feel it is ahead in the game. Where I live BMW dealerships are closing or relocating, while Audi dealerships are opening. In Montreal it has become almost standard to drive a BMW or Audi, and to be honest Audi is the better option for our **** roads.
///M_CHAMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:15 PM   #18
KingJames

My Ride: 04 330ci
Hmm audi has some nice cars especially the r8 but bmw just needs to say one thing... M Power!
KingJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:22 PM   #19
KingJames

My Ride: 04 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98mustangguy View Post
LOL i was comparing to my wifes 02 a4 not my s4. and yes the audi is much better all around. that said i do like the 325 im not saying its shabby in any way. just that appples to apples audis are better cars. that said i would gladly trade my s4 in on a m3 because personally i like the bmws better but thats a personal opinion. the fact remains that audis are better cars.
Your clearly not getting what hes saying...Your comparing your s4 (ur wifes or w/e) to a base 325 which isnt even in the top of the 3-series....compare it to a 330 zhp with all the options and packages.
KingJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #20
Eurobahn BMW
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: BMW Greensboro
you know what would be a good video?

a video of a BMW rep killing an audi rep and drinking their blood in front of the audi rep's family.

and then him driving away in a m3.

Search for a local, independent BMW Greensboro shop with BMW mechanics that have dealer-level expertise at a fraction of the cost.

Eurobahn BMW is offline   Reply With Quote