E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 10:00 AM   #1
RDWARIOR

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330Ci
Coupe Windows...

Excuse me for this rant, but I have to say it...

Does anyone else have problems with their front windows on their coupes? Every time it gets a little frosty outside the window refuses to scoot down the 5-8mm it needs to to clear the frame that it hides in! What a stupid design! A buddy of mine has a 2005 G35 Coupe and it has the same frame-less windows that tuck up to, however they are non-interference. Meaning if you don't notice and still slam the door, they aren't going to hit the body and possibly break. Did the Germans not cold weather test these cars?
RDWARIOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:18 AM   #2
Kernith

My Ride: 2004 325ci ,
no trouble with mine, even at 17 degrees F. But with snow and ice all over them, I was real careful closing the door. Mine is a 2004 325ci, but low miles. I too think it is a stupid design and will surely fail as it will just wear out the regulators. How many miles on yours?

Ken
Kernith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
RDWARIOR

Mine has 117,000Kms(72,700 miles) on it. I don't know if it's the glass freezing to the wiper (at the belt line) or if it's an internal problem with the regulator. Once it warms up or I "persuade" it it works flawlessly. This morning the outside temp display showed a chilly -14 C (6.8F). Could just be the Canadian factor with these cars, seems they hate cold morning starts.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:31 PM   #4
filburt1

My Ride: 2006 325Ci ZPP
It's happened to me just once; the driver's window was frozen shut but the passenger's worked. I'm just sure to dry the edge of the window and the rubber seal if I open the door and it's wet and cold out, like when clearing off snow.

I've never had a problem of the window being too high and hitting the trim, just the one time where it wouldn't move down the tiny bit needed to clear the trim.
filburt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
carcus

My Ride: 2006 BMW M5
Never had any issues with mine, even when it is below 0 degrees. I had the drivers window regulator fail once though.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:11 PM   #6
glenng

My Ride: '05 330ci ZHP
same problem

my roommate has a 2002 325ci. his passenger window never budges. it results in a large scraping noise as you try to open the door. he has to:

1. roll down his passenger window
2. open the door to let his passenger out
3. have them close the door
4. roll up the window

an extreme hassle, I think he is going to take it in because its still under warranty. ill let you know what the dealership says when it gets fixed

p.s i forgot to mention that we live in sunny socal so it never get below 60 degrees
glenng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:51 PM   #7
RDWARIOR

I seriously doubt that it is due to a faulty or failing window regulator. I'm positive that it is the glass freezing to the door. I think it was an oversight to design it the way they did. I'd buy another one though. A used BMW is better than a new Chev.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #8
Toad21

My Ride: 00' 328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDWARIOR View Post
I seriously doubt that it is due to a faulty or failing window regulator. I'm positive that it is the glass freezing to the door. I think it was an oversight to design it the way they did. I'd buy another one though. A used BMW is better than a new Chev.
The windows guides could be getting warped some when its cold vs. warm outside.

So your left with 2 possibilities.

1. The door guides are miss-aligned, and you will need to re-align them.

2. The window regulator is too weak to get the job done.

Eitherway, you can take your door panel off fairly easily and fix either problem in under 2 hours.

I have replaced both my regulators and door lock actuators in both doors, only took a few hours and I am not a mechanic.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:31 PM   #9
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
I've never had that issue either...lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owtlaw333 View Post
You'll always be pretty in my eyes, Cole :luv:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissspyy View Post
i was like passed out while she's shoving the entire bar in my mouth. :rofl: :rofl:
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:39 PM   #10
Chris-TK

My Ride: Mk VI GTI
Minez iz fineses.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:44 PM   #11
N89

My Ride: 330Ci
What kind of cold temperatures are we talking about?
N89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:05 PM   #12
genuity

My Ride: '1 E46
Isn't it the lock actuators that actually control the mechanism of the scooting up and down feature and not the regulators?
genuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:57 PM   #13
Lestat_

My Ride: E46 318ci M-Sport
next time try to splash a generous amount of warm water around the top of the window seal and on the trim at the bottom of the window. If still not working, at least you know it's not the window getting stuck in the frame because of the cold.
Lestat_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:02 AM   #14
RDWARIOR

I've already replaced the door lock actuators no problems, which have NOTHING to do with the windows. I'm quite competent when it comes to working on my cars. Let me just clarify that it is not the COLD (ie temperature) that is causing the problem. It is the glass freezing to the felt/rubber wiper at the belt line. The window regulators work just fine (although, I'll admit they could be "weak", they are original). The windows are capable of coming down when frozen, they have in the past and continue to do so, when operated by the switch. The car is always parked outside and is exposed to wet snow and ice overnight. I'm not too concerned as to why it happens, only stating that BMW should have made it a non-interference design. Which I know no one here can change or do anything about It's just a quirk I guess.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:03 AM   #15
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
happened a few times when it rained then went to like -20 over night

other than that.......
Old 02-19-2010, 04:45 PM   #16
s1monove

My Ride: M3 Coupe
i havent had this yet , but sometimes my locks weld open when i open the door and it just flaps open when i try to shut it!!
s1monove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 04:55 PM   #17
chris1098

My Ride: 2003 318ci
OP...I feel your pain!!

I am from UK and maybe we dont get the weather as cold as you but it has barely got above 2degrees c for the last 3months.....!!

Anyway when you pull the handle and the glass drops 4mm, my glass had only half defrosted so the half nearest the wing mirror dropped and the other half didnt....

As you can imagine, it didnt do the pillarless glass any good...!!

Window regulator clips broken, when I ring the stealership to get a replacment clip....oooops!! E46 is the only model BMW which doesnt do just the clips, it was a full new regulator....!!

Apparently the Audi A6 clips can be modified but its too cold to be doing that!!

The Germans built an amazing machine but its like they gave the idea to some sh!tty company like Fiat to do the Window mechanism...!!

Grrrrr!!!!

Rant complete

Over and out
chris1098 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coupe, front windows, frozen