E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW News from around the Web

BMW News from around the Web
Submit the latest BMW news from around the world for other E46Fanatics members to check out.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-20-2010, 07:47 PM   #21
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
this has been going on for a while...its nothing new...bmw takes a jab and audi replies and vise versa...its a back and forth thing....it will never end
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:05 PM   #22
98mustangguy

My Ride: 04-325i, 00-s4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom3 View Post
this has been going on for a while...its nothing new...bmw takes a jab and audi replies and vise versa...its a back and forth thing....it will never end
yep competition is what leads to better cars and options for us.
98mustangguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:22 PM   #23
98mustangguy

My Ride: 04-325i, 00-s4
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingJames View Post
Your clearly not getting what hes saying...Your comparing your s4 (ur wifes or w/e) to a base 325 which isnt even in the top of the 3-series....compare it to a 330 zhp with all the options and packages.
yes i am understanding what he said, and i was comparing an a4 to a 325 apples to apples both similar cold wether pkg ect pretty much the same and the audi is a better all around car. maintenance is cheaper, reliability errr should we even talk about bmw reliability lets see subframe, tranny, mounts, overflow, water pump ect ect ect. in 120k miles in the audi i have changed rotors, pads, 1 maf, oil, coolant, spark plugs and about $5 worth of vacuum line. let me know when you hit 120k how much you spent on the bmw. btw did you graduate as reading comprehension isnt your best attribute i see. audi put more items in their packages like why dont i have heated steering/washers/lock in my cold weather audi did. lets see i got on average 5mpg better in the audi. i would assume the bmw awd is comparable so not going to judge on that. interior fit and finish is about the same. audi has waaaaaaaaaay better sound dampening like i can hear wind noise and tire noise in the bimmer in the audi nothing but pure silence. they are very very close cars but even though i like my bmw i will stand by audi is a better all around car. i have driven an m3 and would happily trade my s4 in on one as i have always liked the m3 but like was said before the audi still makes a better daily driver even at that level maybe not as fun or fast as an m3 but still a better daily car. but if you go model lineup the Rs4 would be against the m3, the s4 would be against a 330zhp.
98mustangguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:53 PM   #24
bimmerfan08

My Ride: Phoenix Yellow M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTKHarris View Post
Audi can suck it.
the tensions are strong
"Economics cannot answer such normative or prescriptive questions about how much of our market incomes, if any, should be transferred to poor families. This is a political question that can only be answered at the ballot box, or in some countries, at the point of a gun."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 11:57 PM   #25
Acarder

My Ride: 69' M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98mustangguy View Post
LOL i was comparing to my wifes 02 a4 not my s4. and yes the audi is much better all around. that said i do like the 325 im not saying its shabby in any way. just that appples to apples audis are better cars. that said i would gladly trade my s4 in on a m3 because personally i like the bmws better but thats a personal opinion. the fact remains that audis are better cars.
Fair enough - what you want in a car is what Audi offers and BMW doesn't so I get where you're coming from. I love BMWs because I love RWD cars with straight 6 engines. Obviously most of them are not the best in any one category but they have the whole package whereas most other manufacturers are only "good" in one or two different aspects. If I wanted a car that could go fast in a straight line and nothing else mattered, BMWs wouldn't appeal to me at all. If i wanted something that could get me from point A to point B forever only needing gas, BMW's wouldn't appeal to me either. The fact of the matter is that what I (and the majority of drivers) like in cars are offered by BMW, and this is reflected in the market share.

Oh LOL, well now your comparison makes more sense. Still can't see how anyone could prefer a Bubble5 A4 over an E46... It's a little much to say that since your A4 is, in your eyes, better than your 325, that Audi > BMW...

Quote:
yes i am understanding what he said, and i was comparing an a4 to a 325 apples to apples both similar cold wether pkg ect pretty much the same and the audi is a better all around car. maintenance is cheaper, reliability errr should we even talk about bmw reliability lets see subframe, tranny, mounts, overflow, water pump ect ect ect. in 120k miles in the audi i have changed rotors, pads, 1 maf, oil, coolant, spark plugs and about $5 worth of vacuum line. let me know when you hit 120k how much you spent on the bmw. btw did you graduate as reading comprehension isnt your best attribute i see. audi put more items in their packages like why dont i have heated steering/washers/lock in my cold weather audi did. lets see i got on average 5mpg better in the audi. i would assume the bmw awd is comparable so not going to judge on that. interior fit and finish is about the same. audi has waaaaaaaaaay better sound dampening like i can hear wind noise and tire noise in the bimmer in the audi nothing but pure silence. they are very very close cars but even though i like my bmw i will stand by audi is a better all around car. i have driven an m3 and would happily trade my s4 in on one as i have always liked the m3 but like was said before the audi still makes a better daily driver even at that level maybe not as fun or fast as an m3 but still a better daily car. but if you go model lineup the Rs4 would be against the m3, the s4 would be against a 330zhp.
I actually do want to comment on what you've said though about the cars... Audi's are notoriously unreliable, especially in the 95-05 range. I'd prefer dealing to mechanical problems over random electrical faults anyday. You bring the subframe and transmission into this. Have either of those failed on your car? I don't even need to ask, because they haven't, and they won't ever. They're all blown way out of proportion, the actual flaws are apparent on a very small model run and the rest of the damage is caused by the driver. Almost every large flaw (bar the cooling system, and seriously stop complaining because a complete overhaul can be done for under 400 bucks) has been sorted when the model run changed to the 325/330. Just for the record, apart from usual maintenance i've spent less than 500 dollars on both my E46's so I guess the reliability for both cars is really dependent on which one you buy and how it's been treated. Audi puts in more packages stock but the cars cost more from the factory because of it. I would like a heated steering wheel though . Sound deadening adds weight to the car and BMWs are driver cars - it's a 3 series, not a 7. If you don't like noise then it's obvious why you prefer the Audi. BMW's AWD is not comparable because they don't really make AWD cars. Might as well compare BMW's RWD to Audi's RWD.

Last edited by Acarder; 02-21-2010 at 03:03 AM.
Acarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:07 AM   #26
RAFF112

My Ride: 325ci M3 cbr 600rr
Ive actually owned a B5 A4 2.8 quatro. I prefer my 325ci

VCSL Front 18/13 Spacers Full Borla V2 K&N drop-in w/custom tube LED Interior air horn BMW performance shift Knob Seibon Hood LED DRL Dynavin Depo corners RE rear camber arms and Vogtland Springs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hayabusa55 View Post
I used to think love exists. Turns out it's a manifestation of insecurities and boredom.
RAFF112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 04:32 AM   #27
EndlessAP1

My Ride: e92 M3, e70 X5, TL
Volkswagon talking trash? LMAO... What a joke.

BMW or Volkswagon..hmmm thats a no-brainer.
EndlessAP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:44 AM   #28
czechchamp

My Ride: IS 250
I actually like Audi ads, they're are pretty good.
With that said BMW > Audi

2001 330i Sport | Manual | ASA | DICE | H&R | StopTech | ZHP rack | SOLD
czechchamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:15 PM   #29
HardPark'd TT

My Ride: is parked hard.
Send a message via AIM to HardPark'd TT

Bagged TT 225Q SOLD - e46 M3 SOLD - W202 SOLD - e46 325i SOLD
HardPark'd TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 09:23 PM   #30
KingJames

My Ride: 04 330ci
Quote:
Heated steering? hahaha didnt you see that chevy commercial...heated steering is for women!
KingJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:33 PM   #31
m3e46freak

My Ride: e46/bike/Airplane?
1. Audi looks neat and thats about it ..

next?

2004 JB / Cinnamon SMG - NAV - Heated Seats
Sonic Tuning Spacers 15mm
Alcantara Wheel/Boot/Pillars
BMC filter
Carbon Fiber: Doors/Seat Back/Trim/Paddles
Scorza muffler
CSL Bumper/Trunk
ST Coilovers

m3e46freak@yahoo.com for outside contacting
m3e46freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 04:12 PM   #32
M3Inline6
F82 ///M4 coming soon!

My Ride: 335/X5/M3/848/128i
I personally find the Audi design aesthetic to be overrated. Sure, the S cars and the R8 look nice, but I'd rather drive an ///M over an S; a Porsche over an R8. I like the spartan BMW cabins.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 11:08 PM   #33
97blksvt

My Ride: 700horse cobra
All I have to say is audis blow there turbos like its a 30k maint item thats enough for me to end the convo. My buddy has a a4 turbo awd and he loves it, but he was mad when I told him I was going to buy a M3, I ended up with a 325 because it was around 12k cheaper and it let me keep my downpayment for a house. Everyone at my work and most of my friends prefer my bmw, he was pissed and I paid half what he did. Iam not 40 I dont need a 4 door.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:06 AM   #34
k3nmasters

My Ride: Is A Unicorn!
Send a message via AIM to k3nmasters
I went from a 2001 330Ci 5 speed to a 2005 M3 6 speed & 1997 A4 Auto (daily driver) to a 2001 S4 6 speed.

My comparison doesn't really compare well since both my non-M and M BMW were newer than my non-S and S Audi, but it does take a look at the earliest and latest years of both the E46 and B5 chassis.

First off, there was nothing I liked about my 97 A4 except that it had 4 doors. It was slow, sluggish, non-responsive and troublesome. I can't even compare my 05 M3 to the 01 S4 because it's completely out of it's league so what I'll do is compare my 01 330Ci to my 01 S4. Right off the bat, my 330 steering was more responsive, the suspension was tighter, the clutch engaged smoother, the engine was quieter, the engine and trans mounts never went bad even at 140k miles vs the S4's 60k, who's trans rocks between shifts.. The only aspect I like about my S4 is the power and AWD. Other than that, it's simply an understeering 4 door family sedan with twin-turbos. Looks wise, the E46 out-shines the B5 any day of the week. As for the newer B6, 7and 8s vs E90 and 92s, the B7 wins, but will never beat the E46.

I miss my M3 soo much. I do feel more grown up driving the S4 around, but I don't think Audi's "S" will ever have the status symbol that BMW's "M" carries. Plus, I like being a kid so M POWER all day!

::05' S54 iR 6MT::

Ichishima-San, "Ferraris and Lamborghinis are like women that are great in bed, but not so great at cleaning the house or cooking."
k3nmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #35
Freeflow

My Ride: 330zhp ; E30/325is
Audi's are great... But the balance that is engineered into our cars is something that can't be matched by Audi. I look at it like this - Audi is designed around all 4 passengers and a BMW is designed around its driver. Audi designs a car based on how safe it can handle a collision where BMW designes a car that can avoid the collision (well... so it feels

To each his own... I'm sure the Audi guys and BMW guys share laughs because they both know they're superior in their ablility to design some of the best cars out there
Old 02-23-2010, 10:02 AM   #36
Freeflow

My Ride: 330zhp ; E30/325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3nmasters View Post
I went from a 2001 330Ci 5 speed to a 2005 M3 6 speed & 1997 A4 Auto (daily driver) to a 2001 S4 6 speed.

My comparison doesn't really compare well since both my non-M and M BMW were newer than my non-S and S Audi, but it does take a look at the earliest and latest years of both the E46 and B5 chassis.

First off, there was nothing I liked about my 97 A4 except that it had 4 doors. It was slow, sluggish, non-responsive and troublesome. I can't even compare my 05 M3 to the 01 S4 because it's completely out of it's league so what I'll do is compare my 01 330Ci to my 01 S4. Right off the bat, my 330 steering was more responsive, the suspension was tighter, the clutch engaged smoother, the engine was quieter, the engine and trans mounts never went bad even at 140k miles vs the S4's 60k, who's trans rocks between shifts.. The only aspect I like about my S4 is the power and AWD. Other than that, it's simply an understeering 4 door family sedan with twin-turbos. Looks wise, the E46 out-shines the B5 any day of the week. As for the newer B6, 7and 8s vs E90 and 92s, the B7 wins, but will never beat the E46.

I miss my M3 soo much. I do feel more grown up driving the S4 around, but I don't think Audi's "S" will ever have the status symbol that BMW's "M" carries. Plus, I like being a kid so M POWER all day!
01 S4 has beaten my ZHP... although close, the S4 will pull when those TT's spool. But the feel and design/build quality is sooo much better
Old 02-25-2010, 07:40 PM   #37
TerraPhantm

My Ride: 2005 M3 Coupe
I think I'd take the new S4 over the 335i, but that's about it. For all the other models I prefer bmw to audi
TerraPhantm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:37 PM   #38
that_one_guy

My Ride: 3er Schaltgetriebe
My first car was an Audi 4000 quattro. I woke up one morning and the fire department was hosing it down.

They do look nice but no Audis for me.
Old 02-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #39
330I6SPD

My Ride: 2005 330I 6Spd.
I owned an Audi Coupe GT Quattro in the '80s (in NJ), I had to replace the Prop shaft (Audi's term for driveshaft) after only 60,000 mi, the car was laid up for almost 2 weeks and it cost me over $1000 for the repair. Sold it as soon as I got it back!
Went to Crown Audi to test drive an A4 in '04, told the salesman I wanted to drive a 6 cyl, 6spd MT A4, i was told that it WOULD HAVE TO BE ALL WHEEL DRIVE........WTF???... 2 wheel drive 6 cyl does not come with a 3rd pedal. I was on the fence about owning a FWD car but no MT made it a deal breaker, I told the sales manager that between the FWD, no MT, V6 instead of inline 6, Audi is handing the drivers car title to BMW in locations like Florida, I drove over to Bert Smith BMW, drove a ZSP and ZHP demo, than ordered my car that day! In 2wd configurations, BMW is the ultimate driving machine, Audi is a transportation appliance!
330I6SPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #40
Full-Lock

My Ride: 2002 Imola/Imola M3
audis are alright
but i think audi owners are bigger cocks than bmw owners. i dont see why bmw owners have the stereotype they have, ive met/talked to some of the nicest people who own bmws..maybe its because im only talking to enthusiasts. dont get me wrong, each crowd has their few..its only what ive seen. just my .02.