E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 49 votes, 4.84 average.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:55 PM   #21
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Thanks again Nick!

That is wild that it keeps playing music off your iPod even after you switch over to another source.

Also those menu screen icons and fonts are horrendous.

Is there a user setting to change the fonts and icons? or even add your own?

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 02:50 AM   #22
bmwTuner1

My Ride: Bmw, 330ci

I thought about buying this unit some time this month but im not so sure anymore... Im going to wait it out and see if anything else arises and how quickly these other issues are resolved.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:00 AM   #23
ZZen330

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Weird about the iPod. If you change away from the iPod source it should put the iPod into STOP mode.
ZZen330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 09:22 AM   #24
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
^you'd think.

Some notes about the audio bleed through:
-The bleed through is audible if no sound is coming through the current source and volume is above zero.
-At zero everything is silent.
-If audio is coming through the current source, volume at 01, the source is louder than any of the bleed through.
-The bleed through is always the radio station (and also the iPod, once)
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #25
jeffb325

My Ride: 325ci
if you tune to a radio station that has nothing on it...static...and then go to a different source does the bleed through become inaudible as it is only low level static? I know a lot of us dont use the radio so this might be a decent work around.
jeffb325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 12:42 PM   #26
Dreamliner330

^this does work, there is a bit of hiss, from the system anyway. It is a work around, but still annoying to have ANY bleed through.

Here's a note about the Bluetooth Operation

And this is a minor annoyance on the navigation interface:

...button presses mute the audio for a split second.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #27
XIinSC

My Ride: 2004 M3 98 M3
There is a workaround for the Nav muting the audio on the Dynavin forum.
In the Nav settings set the key stroke volume to NON. Worked for me - no more interruption of the audio.
XIinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 01:24 PM   #28
Dreamliner330

^fixed, i figured it out!

Awesome!

Planning a trip to Yellowstone
Old 02-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #29
mass03m3

My Ride: e46 M3
Nick,

Did you use the external mic supplied with unit and, if you did, where did you mount it?

Does anyone know of any decent screen protectors that will knock the glare and fingerprints down?

I just used the navi today and It worked excellent. I think when I get used to it I will really like it.

thanks
Todd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1049.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	349581  
mass03m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:54 PM   #30
Blocked Out

My Ride: Imola 330i M-Sport
Incredible review Nick.

====>>> E46 Coupe Airbags
IMG_1725
Blocked Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:44 PM   #31
jeby

My Ride: 2003 325i
i routed the mic to the factory location next to the sunroof controls, along with window trim and behind the glove box - great reception on the mic and completly hidden.
jeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 07:51 AM   #32
XIinSC

My Ride: 2004 M3 98 M3
According to the Dynavin Forums, they will have some sort of solution to the radio bleed within the next 48 hours.
Hopefully it will be something we can do on our end.
XIinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:21 AM   #33
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Nick this is a very great thread!
Thanks for taking the time to stick with the product and update us on how it is working.

Quick question:

Did you fix the fonts and icons?

In your Nav and Bluetooth videos the fonts and icons seems smoother and a more modern style than in the previous videos.

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:47 PM   #34
jeffb325

the hiss you guys are referencing.....how loud is it, can it be heard with the car running or just with the car off?
Old 02-23-2010, 09:10 PM   #35
jeffb325

okay, ive got a few ideas that might help the noise issues but I need some answers first, im going to post this in a couple of areas since we now have 3 dynavin threads going,,,sorry!

First of all I have been an installer for 15 years so I know what im doing and why so please just go with me until I get some answers and we might be able to figure a few things out.

So here is my first question for those of you that have one installed allready: The dynavin has volume numbers, what is the maximum number, what number represents a "normal" listening level, and what number represents a "loud" listening level. At higher levels do you hear obvious distortion?

The answers of course are subjective but just answer the questions as best you can.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:28 PM   #36
acpstunts

My Ride: E46 330ci / E53 X5
I usually listen to the music from vol lvl 15-20, anything louder usually is pretty loud.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:56 PM   #37
Dreamliner330

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass03m3 View Post
Did you use the external mic supplied with unit and, if you did, where did you mount it?
I connected the mic in the opposite spot of the sunroof control (the area that looks like a grill) I was told it wasn't clear, others say its fine. I will have to listen to it myself before I move it to the driver side pillar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIinSC View Post
According to the Dynavin Forums, they will have some sort of solution to the radio bleed within the next 48 hours.
Hopefully it will be something we can do on our end.
(fingers crossed)

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarco View Post
Did you fix the fonts and icons?

In your Nav and Bluetooth videos the fonts and icons seems smoother and a more modern style than in the previous videos.
No, I have not done any updates to the software. There are minor changes to background images, units (km/mph) etc.

I am looking for a way to reduce the LARGE size of the icons on the nav screen...but it works well, I have been using it the last few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325 View Post
the hiss you guys are referencing.....how loud is it, can it be heard with the car running or just with the car off?
There is a hiss with the car off (its not the alternator).

There is no hiss at volume level 0.
The hiss and radio bleed is the same volume from 01-40.
The car motor while moving is louder than the hiss/bleed through.

I also feel it is important to note that hiss & bleed through are two different things and both are noticeable.

Quote:
im going to post this in a couple of areas since we now have 3 dynavin threads going,,,sorry!
The other threads are relating to pictures and reviews. The TR MS3 thread has been all over the place. This thread is for Installation Tips, Questions and Troubleshooting only.

Quote:
So here is my first question for those of you that have one installed allready: The dynavin has volume numbers, what is the maximum number, what number represents a "normal" listening level, and what number represents a "loud" listening level. At higher levels do you hear obvious distortion?
It really depends on the source, a dvd could be at 40 and still considered 'normal' for listening level.

Radio, iPod, Aux In & USB get too lout at ~30. While the car is off, 01~02 is loud enough to hear clearly and overpower the hiss and bleed through.

Regarding the increased amount of buzz I hear when I turn the parking lights/headlights on...

I ran a wire across the seats into the trunk to ground the radio to the same sanded off point on the car body as my subwoofer/capacitor and it made no difference. I could hear a slight reduction in hiss, but not back to the point of 'normal' dynavin hiss.....
Old 02-23-2010, 10:00 PM   #38
jeffb325

so here is my thinking, the dynavin unit doesnt have a very good signal to noise ratio (look it up, im not going to explain it here) everybody seems to be having some trouble with hiss and radio bleed etc, the kind of symptoms you have when you have the gain too high on an amp. I am wondering if dynavin has the output of the unit too high....not properly calibrated to the the amp in the trunk....

As a rule of thumb installers like "loud" on a stereo system to be around 2/3 - 3/4 of a given components output, the responses I have got so far tell me that "loud" is only at 1/2 volume on the dynavin, that tells me they have its output set too high to work well with the amp and as a consequence the background "noise" of the system is being amplified too much and is louder than it should be.

My thinking is that an adjustable line output converter could be placed in line between the dynavin and the factory amp, it could be used to reduce the output of the unit to a level that works better with the factory system. From the numbers you guys have given me I am thinking that the noise could be reduced by up to 50%.

From what I gather that would make it pretty quiet, and hopefully make it a non issue. Of course it would be nice if dynavin could take care of this but if they dont we might be able to come up with a simple work around.

Last edited by jeffb325; 02-23-2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:11 PM   #39
jeffb325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
I connected the mic in the opposite spot of the sunroof control (the area that looks like a grill) I was told it wasn't clear, others say its fine. I will have to listen to it myself before I move it to the driver side pillar.

(fingers crossed)

No, I have not done any updates to the software. There are minor changes to background images, units (km/mph) etc.

I am looking for a way to reduce the LARGE size of the icons on the nav screen...but it works well, I have been using it the last few days.

There is a hiss with the car off (its not the alternator).

There is no hiss at volume level 0.
The hiss and radio bleed is the same volume from 01-40.
The car motor while moving is louder than the hiss/bleed through.

I also feel it is important to note that hiss & bleed through are two different things and both are noticeable.

The other threads are relating to pictures and reviews. The TR MS3 thread has been all over the place. This thread is for Installation Tips, Questions and Troubleshooting only.

It really depends on the source, a dvd could be at 40 and still considered 'normal' for listening level.

Radio, iPod, Aux In & USB get too lout at ~30. While the car is off, 01~02 is loud enough to hear clearly and overpower the hiss and bleed through.

Regarding the increased amount of buzz I hear when I turn the parking lights/headlights on...

I ran a wire across the seats into the trunk to ground the radio to the same sanded off point on the car body as my subwoofer/capacitor and it made no difference. I could hear a slight reduction in hiss, but not back to the point of 'normal' dynavin hiss.....
this is what I was hoping you would say..... 1-2 should be very quiet and the fact that it isnt tells me the ouput of the dynavin is too high. DVDs are usualy alot quieter than CDs so that isnt a suprise. From what you guys are telling me I would say that "Too loud" should be in the high 30s, "loud" should be in the low thirties, "normal" should be in the teens, maybe low twenties. Your numbers arent anywhere near this so im thinking you have alot of room to reduce your head units output (and equaly, the noise in the system)

Last edited by jeffb325; 02-23-2010 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:17 PM   #40
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
quick question guys

if you are on radio and you press the arrow up/down on your steering wheel... does it scroll through your preset fm stations like an OEM radio?

i would imagine that this will also work for cd and ipod songs, hopefully....