E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #21
bman05

My Ride: 01 325 and 03 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bimmer View Post
My pleasure!!! Always happy and ready to help a fellow Bimmeroolic. It always makes me feel warm inside when I know I just made someone save time, pain and money.

I just wish that bman05 (OP) would have known this before he got the car towed to the stealership, they're now going to try and rape him while he's vulnerable.
Just picked up the vehicle this morning and here's the butcher's bill:

$135 "diagnosis charge"

$354.98 to change the spark plugs ($162.48 in parts and $192.50 in labor)

$229. 95 to clean fuel injector ($47.41 for cleaner and fuel additive and $182.54 for labor)

$149.54 for oil change ($82.04 in parts and $67.50 in labor)

$1,113.54 to replace the CCV and related hoses and clean cylinder of oil ($553.54 in parts and $560.00 in labor)

Total bill, with tax: $2,129.26.

What was included in the CCV/Hose replacement was the cold weather repair kit. I am wondering why they have a cold weather version of the repair kit?

The vehicle was a mess inside as well.

Just figured I'd share this with the forum as a reminder to check your X5 for this issue!
bman05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #22
Darth Bimmer

My Ride: 00 328i & 01 Mcoupe
I don't know what to say, I'm typeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman05 View Post
$135 "diagnosis charge"
Diagnosis my a$$, they already new damn well what was going on...

Quote:
$354.98 to change the spark plugs ($162.48 in parts and $192.50 in labor)
You can get the same spark plugs at autozone, minus the BMW logo for alot cheaper + Did the guy take a nap while replacing the plugs?? More than an hour !?!?!?

Quote:
$229. 95 to clean fuel injector ($47.41 for cleaner and fuel additive and $182.54 for labor)
Not necessary

Quote:
$149.54 for oil change ($82.04 in parts and $67.50 in labor)
That's ok but, it can be done way cheaper at an indy.

Quote:
$1,113.54 to replace the CCV and related hoses and clean cylinder of oil ($553.54 in parts and $560.00 in labor)
$550 for plastic hoses and a plastic box with a rubber membrane inside...

Quote:
Total bill, with tax: $2,129.26.
They took the job estimate book and added every labor alowances and added them up. Obviously, since everything is related and to perform one of these jobs you have to go trough the others, they could have cut WAY down on labor charges. If you add everything up, it's like the guy spent a WHOLE DAY working on your car. If he really did, he should go back to training.

Quote:
What was included in the CCV/Hose replacement was the cold weather repair kit. I am wondering why they have a cold weather version of the repair kit?
It's not a cold weather kit, it's just 745 parts

Last edited by Darth Bimmer; 02-18-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Darth Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 12:05 PM   #23
bman05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Bimmer View Post
I don't know what to say, I'm typeless

Diagnosis my a$$, they already new damn well what was going on...

You can get the same spark plugs at autozone, minus the BMW logo for alot cheaper + Did the guy take a nap while replacing the plugs?? More than an hour !?!?!?

Not necessary

That's ok but, it can be done way cheaper at an indy.

$550 for plastic hoses and a plastic box with a rubber membrane inside...

They took the job estimate book and added every labor alowances and added them up. Obviously, since everything is related and to perform one of these jobs you have to go trough the others, they could have cut WAY down on labor charges. If you add everything up, it's like the guy spent a WHOLE DAY working on your car. If he really did, he should go back to training.

It's not a cold weather kit, it's just 745 parts
I couldn't agree with you more. I've replaced the plugs on my previous BMWs and it didn't take me anywhere NEAR an hour and I am semi-skilled when it comes to cars.

Also, with regard to the fuel injection service, after the cleaning shouldn't the fuel additive be added to a full tank of fuel? My X had barely an 1/8th of a tank of gas in it when I picked it up this morning.

I have half a mind to "out" this dealer. The SA commiserated with me and promised he'd try and find a way to help me out if he could and try and cut down on the repair bill. Apparently he charged be the full amount possible.

I can't describe how let down I am with this vehicle. I used to love driving it, was proud to own it and now I can't even look at it anymore.
Old 02-18-2010, 12:32 PM   #24
Darth Bimmer

Yeah, I get how you feel. Don't hate your car though, now that this is solved, you'll be able to enjoy it for a long time before this happens again. + when it's cold outside, just change your driving habbits a bit and it should be fine.

Yes the fuel additive should be mixed in a FULL tank. Otherwise it's too concentrated and could damage the injectors and press. regulator. go fill it up A.S.A.P. BUT, it was still unnecessary. no need to clean the injectors either, it's oil, not gunk. The fuel coming out of the injectors will wash the oil away on its own. What a bunch of theves.

They did charge you the MOST possible. They broke it down like if it was separate jobs. Like if the guy removed engine covers replaced sparkplugs, reassembled. Removed covers and spark plugs, cleaned oil from cyclinders and reassembled, took covers off to replace CCV system and reassembled... You can see were it starts to add up. Ask them if you can see the labor book. You'll see that usually, a job is allowed an certain number of FRUs when done alone and a lower number of FRUs if combined with other related work. BTW, a "FRU" is 5 min. (stands for flat rate unit.) So 9 FRUs would be 45 min., 12 FRUs = 1h.

Fight this the advisor has a base salary + bonuses based on how much he sells each month. Also, when I give an estimate to the advisor saying it's going to take me about an hour to perform a job he turns around and sell 2-3 h. to the customer on top of the fact that I already boosted the time a bit to allow for things like seized bolts and things like that.

Last edited by Darth Bimmer; 02-18-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:58 PM   #25
bman05

Alex,

Thank you very much for the lowdown on how the labor bill was tabulated, I appreciate that. I am going to pursue this with the dealership and see where this takes me.

I'll keep you posted.

Brendan
Old 02-25-2010, 09:39 AM   #26
Darth Bimmer

Quote:
Alex,

Thank you very much for the lowdown on how the labor bill was tabulated, I appreciate that. I am going to pursue this with the dealership and see where this takes me.

I'll keep you posted.

Brendan
Any progress?

Did you manage to bring the price back down a bit???

Last edited by Darth Bimmer; 03-05-2010 at 05:48 PM.