E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 20 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-03-2009, 07:11 PM   #41
simonappolis

My Ride: 2002 M3 Cabrio
Thanks for the DIY. I may be doing this myself. I'm curious about the sound it was making...mine has the noise coming from the passenger side when going slow or not moving at all, and only when turn left off of dead straight. No noise when turning right. Sound is like groaning or kind of like a squeegy on slightly wet glass. Fit your profile? Thanks!
Old 02-03-2009, 10:16 PM   #42
LABMW13

My Ride: M3, 330i, '89 325i
Great Writeup...I'll be doing mine in the spring

M3: SSR GT3 Wheels, H&R Coilovers, JL 12" W6, Eisenmann 83mm, SS Headers, 4.10's, CF CSL Trunk & Diffuser, Euro Front Bumper, Hamann CF front lip, 3000k Fogs, NX 125 Shot
UUC Parts: SSBC Brakes, Lines, Sway bars, 8LB Flywheel, twin disc clutch, Evo 3 Shifter, RK7A Shift Knob, CF E-brake, Rasp-X Mid Pipes
Coming Soon: VRS Vented Race Hood & VCSL CF Roof Panel
LABMW13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:31 AM   #43
alibusoul

My Ride: TiAg e46 Vert
The problem is that those who have an AT have to deal with a transmission cooler RIGHT in front of the PS pulley, making the space a little more cramped.

Couple of questions, my car is a manufacture date of 4/00, however i have the LF 20 pump. my questions are:

What years were the LF20 and LF 30 made? and
Which one is the stiffer/sportier pump? (thats the one i want) and
Its is straight fitment or are there modifications?

some of that info is in this thread but not really pointed out and scattered.
alibusoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:38 PM   #44
editwizard

My Ride: Silver 2001 330i
Was this DIY with Manual or Automatic Transmission?

Title says it all... I'm thinking about doing this one myself but since I have AT/Steptronic I think I have the big mechanical fan in front blocking the belts. I guess I need to look closer in my engine bay when I get home to see if I can still access the tensioner pulley and take the belt loose from the power steering pump WITHOUT removing the mechanical fan.

That's really the only part of the process that has me nervous whether I can DIY or not.
editwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #45
mujjuman

My Ride: not an E46
Thank you. dealership charged me $411 for just the hose installed. Next time i will use this thread for the PSP.
I wanted to know what it looked like and where it was

2003 325xi 5MT
Jet Black, ZSP, ZPP, ZCW, OEM Xenon ^^RIP
sig by Solidjake
mujjuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:12 PM   #46
tony325ci_51

My Ride: BMW 335i 2007 Coupe
What we really need is for somebody to find out where we can get the LUK service parts to fix a pump.
It's such a common fault and the parts must be available as 3rd party companies do recondition pumps.

I'm sure lots of enthusiasts would rather spend a few hours on a workbench to save $100's.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:44 PM   #47
BMWh0r3

My Ride: 325CIvic
bumping this as i have a question. my psp snapped the shaft inside..hence no power steering. i ordered one through my dad's garage at one of our parts dealers...much cheaper price than oem. my problem is that its not the same as what my original looks like. the new one looks like the OP's power steering pump. did they update them or did i get the wrong freaking pump? both are luk. almost had my car back on the road after 3 days....
Old 04-15-2009, 04:31 PM   #48
gregrego

My Ride: 325ci,Evo8MR,MR2T
My psp just popped today and low and behold the diy was on the first page!

I just talked to my local lambo/ferarri/euro garage and they say that they personally will not re-install an LF-20, and only put in LF-30's due to them being a more robust pump. They said that the LF-30 requires a new hose to be used due to the relocation of one of the fittings on the pump itself, makes sense.

If you have any questions about this you can always contact my local guys who are very fluent in bmw at http://www.eurasia.ca. They said the LF-20 and 30 are pretty much the same price.

Last build: 91 Toyota MR2 turbo
Next build: Something with an S54.
gregrego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 04:40 PM   #49
BMWh0r3

My Ride: 325CIvic
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrego View Post

I just talked to my local lambo/ferarri/euro garage and they say that they personally will not re-install an LF-20, and only put in LF-30's due to them being a more robust pump. They said that the LF-30 requires a new hose to be used due to the relocation of one of the fittings on the pump itself, makes sense.

If you have any questions about this you can always contact my local guys who are very fluent in bmw at http://www.eurasia.ca. They said the LF-20 and 30 are pretty much the same price.
get me a part number for the new hose... A.S.A.P. please...i'm going nuts. driving the wife's '95 gmc jimmy... the winter vehicle am so owned...
Old 04-15-2009, 05:10 PM   #50
editwizard

My Ride: Silver 2001 330i
I would go with a brand new replacement same part number

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregrego View Post

You can do what you want but I replaced mine with the exact original part for my Feb 2001 manufactured 330. It was the LUK LF-20 BMW part#32416760036 purchased from AboveAllMotorwerks. The LF30 pump I would be afraid might give too much boost as (from my understanding) it's the revised design in response to people having trouble parking b/c of "too much steering effort." At some point they switched back to the less-boosted steering.

More 'robust' or more powerful pump to me sounds more boosted = less steering effort. My pump blew at 100k almost on the button so at this rate I think I'm good until around 200k when I hopefully will have upgraded anyways.

I don't know how true all the pump revision stuff is but my steering was silky smooth before but not too loose and the replacement is precisely the same after the replacement... minus all that pump whining noise!
editwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:20 PM   #51
kbok

My Ride: 2005 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony325ci_51 View Post
What we really need is for somebody to find out where we can get the LUK service parts to fix a pump.
It's such a common fault and the parts must be available as 3rd party companies do recondition pumps.

I'm sure lots of enthusiasts would rather spend a few hours on a workbench to save $100's.
Rebuilt Luk PS pumps are in catalogs, so someone is willing to rebuild them. However, I couldn't find any available in store or nearby warehouses (thru NAPA & OReilly) a few months ago. So I got a new OEM Luk-20 from Tischer at a discount from full retail price. I found the car drivable without the PS though I bulit up my biceps in parking lot maneuvers.
kbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 09:50 AM   #52
samson39

My Ride: 2000 328i Silver
found this in another thread here. $175 is awesome compared to most.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...Q5fAccessories
Old 06-28-2009, 09:08 PM   #53
vietnameseboy

My Ride: 325i
i cant remove the cap for the belt tensioner any ideas? anyone?

nm got it. pry off cap with screwdriver.

Last edited by vietnameseboy; 06-28-2009 at 10:48 PM.
vietnameseboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 03:13 AM   #54
dh0licious

My Ride: '01 325i Sedanx0r
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson39 View Post
I can vouch for this Armenian fellow. Just bought one from him, shipped to AUS express post in 3 days for $40US (postage). He refunded the extra money that I paid for postage because it came out to be less.
dh0licious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 10:23 PM   #55
samson39

My Ride: 2000 328i Silver
New PS pump works great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson39 View Post
Got the new pump, used the brackets from the old pump and installed it. WORKS GREAT! + Great deal! Man it's nice having power steering again!
(The old pump 'pully shaft' just snapped in half, fell out of the pump when I finally got the pump out.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vietnameseboy View Post
i cant remove the cap for the belt tensioner any ideas? anyone?

nm got it. pry off cap with screwdriver.
I didn't have to remove the cap, I used the lower hex bolt on the tensioner to loosen the belt. Did you get yours done?

Last edited by samson39; 07-01-2009 at 10:32 PM. Reason: add another post
samson39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 12:21 PM   #56
four19boyz

Send a message via AIM to four19boyz
My car is also making the rumbling noise when turning and I do notice less assist in steering. I opened the reservoir up and the fluid was low. I simply fill the reservoir back up to the max with the appriopriate ATF and it drove fine on my ride to work. However, the problem re-occurred when I drove back home. I check the fluid level and it was still the same.

My question is, could I fix it by properly flushing the fluid? Or is it definately a power steering pump failure?

Thanks.
four19boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 08:58 PM   #57
simonappolis

My Ride: 2002 M3 Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by four19boyz View Post
My car is also making the rumbling noise when turning and I do notice less assist in steering. I opened the reservoir up and the fluid was low. I simply fill the reservoir back up to the max with the appriopriate ATF and it drove fine on my ride to work. However, the problem re-occurred when I drove back home. I check the fluid level and it was still the same.

My question is, could I fix it by properly flushing the fluid? Or is it definately a power steering pump failure?

Thanks.
In my case the noise turned out to be from dirt/sand that had gotten into the bearing at the top of the strut. I diagnosed it by jacking up the front and having my son turn the wheel while I listened for the source (engine off). By doing a partial strut removal, I was able to remove the bearing assy, clean and lubricate it. Used a DIY for strut replacement on this site (or it might have been on the M site). Hope this helps.
Old 01-15-2010, 04:32 PM   #58
dsblk93gt

My Ride: '01 325i
I'm doing a pump replacment as I've been driving the last week with no power steering, fine when you are moving but ugh! I'm doing control arm bushings too while I'm at it and have the car in the air.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:51 PM   #59
fourholer

My Ride: 03 330ci
2003 330Ci Power Steering Pump

Just fitted a replacement PS pump on my 03 330Ci following the advice, contributions & recommendations from members on this thread. I was quoted $1400 from "you know who" just for the pump itself !! Then there was labour on top. I would not have got any change out of $2000 .........Then I managed to source a good used pump from a BMW wrecker for $350.

Pretty straightforward to fit as previously advised.

In my case I removed my viscous fan (non electric) and its shroud to gain access to the belt tensioner release which employs a T50 torx fitting as previously discussed. You really need to remove the fan & shroud to give yourself room to work on the removal & refitment of the "serpentine" engine belt. Following an earlier tip I drew a diagram of the belt routing to make refitment easier.

I agree with a previous poster re undoing the fan hub nut, I used a long handled 32 mm spanner & gave it a few sharp hits clockwise with a 2 lb steel mallet.

After jacking the car & removing the large under engine access panel, dropping the pump from the bottom was straight forward after undoing the 3 securing bolts, then rack pressure & reservoir supply hoses & draining off the old fluid. No need to drop the sway bar or disconnect anything else at all. Just remember to undo the PS pump pulley bolts before removing the engine belt. Once the belt is de tensioned & slipped off the tensioner, the pump pulley slides off to the front of the car.

The new pump did take some time to kick in after starting the engine, (air in the system) I just put in full R/H lock, topped reservoir, then full L/H lock the other way & re-topped until it came good. Prior to this, after connecting the rubber fluid supply line to the inlet side of the pump, I waited until fluid was draining from the steel pressure pipe connection before doing up the nut.

All good now & the wife is over the moon with the dollars saved thanks to you blokes !!!!!!!!

So far with help from this forum & its members I have manged to:

Fit new batteries to my keys

Re program keys

Replace SRS occupant sensor from passenger seat

Resolve last stage resistor problem

Resolve park assist problem

Keep up the good work guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
fourholer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 03:33 PM   #60
TJohnsonUT

My Ride: BMW 325I
I can't tell you how helpful your DIY instruction were for me and my 2001 325i. Had the old pump out and the new one replaced in roughly three hours, very easy thanks to you, Chronic2112. Thank you!
TJohnsonUT is offline   Reply With Quote