E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 4.11 average.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:33 PM   #81
mass03m3

My Ride: e46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325 View Post
Its probably okay, its just that I dont KNOW that the oem-2 has the right range while I KNOW that the the soem4 does. Worst case scenario you are out $20 and you try again.
Well, like you say if it doesn't work corectly, I will just try the soem4. It's only $20. I am hoping it works though because it would be nice to say that we have a "cheap" fix. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #82
mass03m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325 View Post

Basically to install this it needs to be spliced in line into the dynavin wire harness on the speaker outputs.
Jeff,
I just read the directions online for the pac oem2.. I have 2 questions.

1. Do I need power hooked to the pac oem2? Directions basically say that
these wires(constant power,switched power etc) go directly through from input to output for convenience of wiring. I figured I would just run it by you.

2. On Dynavin's website they claim "45 watts X 4 power output. On The pac oem2 instructions they list 2 different positive speaker wires(for LF,Rf,RR,LR) on the input and output of the unit.
For Example: They say to use the white(Lf +) speaker wire if your aftermarket radio has a high power speaker output of 20w X 4 and higher or if your aftermarket radio has a low speaker output of 20w x 4 or lower use the white/red(LF+).
I imagine I would be using the white wire for the left front as Dynavin claims 45W X 4 Correct?
thanks
Old 02-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #83
jeffb325

My Ride: 325ci
you are correct, you will not need to hook up any of the power related wires. Those are for other purposes that we dont need.

You are also correct on the speaker wires, you will use the "high" power wires, diagram 1 in the instructions. I hadnt looked at the instructions for the oem 2 before, after looking im am now sure it should work. The dual range that i was refering to in previous posts is achieved with extra wires on the oem2, the soem4 does this with switches instead but either way its all good!

Last edited by jeffb325; 02-26-2010 at 09:13 PM.
jeffb325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:57 AM   #84
damills

My Ride: 02 m3 06 m3ic,325cia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mass03m3 View Post
Jeff,
I just read the directions online for the pac oem2.. I have 2 questions.

1. Do I need power hooked to the pac oem2? Directions basically say that
these wires(constant power,switched power etc) go directly through from input to output for convenience of wiring. I figured I would just run it by you.

2. On Dynavin's website they claim "45 watts X 4 power output. On The pac oem2 instructions they list 2 different positive speaker wires(for LF,Rf,RR,LR) on the input and output of the unit.
For Example: They say to use the white(Lf +) speaker wire if your aftermarket radio has a high power speaker output of 20w X 4 and higher or if your aftermarket radio has a low speaker output of 20w x 4 or lower use the white/red(LF+).
I imagine I would be using the white wire for the left front as Dynavin claims 45W X 4 Correct?
thanks
Correct me if Im wrong, so the RCA output cables are not line-out for use with aftermarket amplifier, these are the powered connections dynavin is talking about when saying the unit has 45x4 power ouput.

If that is true you would need a line converter or something to create line-out for input to an aftermarket amp

Is this the same for the sub-out or can you have a powered sub in the trunk, do you need to use a y-connector to take it from one RCA subout to 2 (think y-connector is correct but I mean to take the 1-subout RCA to 2 output RCA to be used as input on a power subwoofer)?

Thanks
Old 02-27-2010, 08:30 AM   #85
damills

My Ride: 02 m3 06 m3ic,325cia
questions

Since this is supposed to be the office installation, question and troubleshooting thread, I have questions, its install day, have everything disconnected from the car, now I just need to put it all together.

• Amp Con - what is it for, is it a turn on for an external amp? If not putting aftermarket amp and speakers, just tape off? Can this also be used if for amp turn on for an external sub?
  • Reverse - is this the power on for a reverse camera, if no camera tape it off?
  • Parking - what does this connect to, Im assuming from what little I can get out of manual depending on how its connected is whether you can watch DVD while driving or not, is that correct? Wont re-iterate what the manual says (broken english) but what is brake test wire. If you want to watch video, connect to black ground wire on the unit?? Then the manual mentions "second, in main system access language and the press the brake button setting to cancel brake wire function, then it can work normally. SO BASICALLY what to do here, where to I connect the wire labeled "Parking" so I can see vides while driving (for the grandkids), in addition to I still have to turn off in the menu as in the manual
  • When I disconnected my OEM radio I see how the plug supplied from dynavin connects but at the bottom of the OEM connector there is another set of plugs that get connected to nothing, is that correct, is that the bluetooth interface that doesnt interface with OEM interface or ??
  • Opinions on where to put GPS antenna, I know when I worked on my convertible with NAV, I thought the GPS antenna was behind the instrument cluster, will it work there. I see where one owner put it thru the firewall under the hood on the RHD side of the car, any suggestions
  • DVD USB-in, so to actually play music on a USB stick, I actually plug the USB stick into the DVD USB plug, can I use an extension to run the USB plug to another place in the car
  • GPS USB-in, what is that for, can you run another NAV program or other programs
  • USB plug on back of unit, is this to another place to play USB sticks with music on them or should this be the primary place to put a USB extension cable to plug in a USB stick with music on it.
  • Antenna connection, does it help to get a right angle antenna connector to save some space behind unit or will it fit without, I have one but wrong size, will that help?
  • Anyone believe taping off the RCA plugs reduces the bleed, based on dynavin response adding capacitor/resistors, dont think so but dont like doing that, anyone hooked up aftermarket amp, still get noise? One I read that sounds better than hearing the radio is to turn the radio station on something with the least amount of sound, if this unit had the mute if it wasnt a valid station, I mean on my home system, if its not on a station, no static, nice really but would be better to hear a low hiss than a radio station
  • Powered sub, I have an old 10" powered bazooka tube I thought I would try before trying to buy something, do I need to get a y-cable to supply both sides on the bazooka?
Dont own an iPod or have a reverse camera so that is not a problem, if you can think of something else let me know. I have read every post and went thru everything on dynavin site, still not clear or I would not ask the questions about, sorry if they are duplicated somewhere. Would like to connect and go on, would be VERY interested if someone hooked up aftermarket amp yet, is the sound quality better or as in my other post are those lines the power 45x4 lines out meant for video input device w/o an amplifier?
Old 02-27-2010, 09:14 AM   #86
jeffb325

Quote:
Originally Posted by damills View Post
Correct me if Im wrong, so the RCA output cables are not line-out for use with aftermarket amplifier, these are the powered connections dynavin is talking about when saying the unit has 45x4 power ouput.

If that is true you would need a line converter or something to create line-out for input to an aftermarket amp

Is this the same for the sub-out or can you have a powered sub in the trunk, do you need to use a y-connector to take it from one RCA subout to 2 (think y-connector is correct but I mean to take the 1-subout RCA to 2 output RCA to be used as input on a power subwoofer)?

Thanks
The RCA plugs are for an external amp, the "45 X4" speaker outputs are in the wire harness and plug into the factory plug. The sub out may reqire a splitter y cable depending on the amp used.

Last edited by jeffb325; 02-27-2010 at 09:18 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:29 AM   #87
mass03m3

Quote:

[LIST][*]Amp Con - what is it for, is it a turn on for an external amp? If not putting aftermarket amp and speakers, just tape off? Can this also be used if for amp turn on for an external sub?
[*]Reverse - is this the power on for a reverse camera, if no camera tape it off?[*]Parking - what does this connect to, Im assuming from what little I can get out of manual depending on how its connected is whether you can watch DVD while driving or not, is that correct? Wont re-iterate what the manual says (broken english) but what is brake test wire. If you want to watch video, connect to black ground wire on the unit?? Then the manual mentions "second, in main system access language and the press the brake button setting to cancel brake wire function, then it can work normally. SO BASICALLY what to do here, where to I connect the wire labeled "Parking" so I can see vides while driving (for the grandkids), in addition to I still have to turn off in the menu as in the manual[*]When I disconnected my OEM radio I see how the plug supplied from dynavin connects but at the bottom of the OEM connector there is another set of plugs that get connected to nothing, is that correct, is that the bluetooth interface that doesnt interface with OEM interface or ??[*]Opinions on where to put GPS antenna, I know when I worked on my convertible with NAV, I thought the GPS antenna was behind the instrument cluster, will it work there. I see where one owner put it thru the firewall under the hood on the RHD side of the car, any suggestions
[*]Antenna connection, does it help to get a right angle antenna connector to save some space behind unit or will it fit without, I have one but wrong size, will that help?[*]Anyone believe taping off the RCA plugs reduces the bleed, based on dynavin response adding capacitor/resistors, dont think so but dont like doing that, anyone hooked up aftermarket amp, still get noise? One I read that sounds better than hearing the radio is to turn the radio station on something with the least amount of sound, if this unit had the mute if it wasnt a valid station, I mean on my home system, if its not on a station, no static, nice really but would be better to hear a low hiss than a radio station
[/I]
I will answer what I know.
First of all, I would tape off any connections that you are not using as you don't want them to possibly ground out. There have been a few instances on the Dynavin board where the monitors have blown because of this.

Amp con-lead to turn on external amp
reverse- lead for reverse camera. if you don't have one tape it off
Parking- this connects to a ground so your dvd player will work. Ypou are suppose to connect it to brake ground so you can't play videos whlie driving but to disable this just hook to another groundor black wire off dynavin harness.
Gps antenna- I put mine under dash off to the left side. Plenty off little nooks to put it in. Mine works fine.
Right angle antenna connection- I did not use one and my unit went in fine.

I taped off all my rca s as I was not using them just for piec of mind
Old 02-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #88
mass03m3

Quote:
[*]When I disconnected my OEM radio I see how the plug supplied from dynavin connects but at the bottom of the OEM connector there is another set of plugs that get connected to nothing, is that correct, is that the bluetooth interface that doesnt interface with OEM interface or ??
There is a 2"x3" black box with a SY8 on it that plugs into the connector harness. It has a small male jack on the other end, this jack plugs into the female connector coming out of the headunit labeled IR. This is for your steering wheel control. There are a lot of plugs that don't connect to anything if you are not using such things as aftermarket amp, Reverse camera etc.
Old 02-27-2010, 09:48 AM   #89
jeffb325

To address your unanswered questions, I dont see anything wrong with using a usb extension, I do it all the time on other units. The extra OEM plug that doesnt get plugged into anything is for the factory changer/aux in/ipod interface, none of these are used with the dynavin so just push that plug aside.

All of your assumptions about the unused wires are correct, if you arent using them, just tape them up, and splice the parking brake wire into the black ground wire and you are good to go.

Oh and to correct one thing for future reference, the reverse wire isnt to power a reverse camera, it is to switch the unit into reverse view, to see the reverse camera, so it is spliced into a wire that turns + when the car is put into reverse (like the reverse light circuit). You wont be using this.

....get that thing installed at let us know what you think!

Last edited by jeffb325; 02-27-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-27-2010, 11:48 AM   #90
mass03m3

Bluetooth

If I am playing the stereo and say I have it at volume level 20 (pretty loud) and I get a call, my dynavin switches to bluetooth but leaves the volume at level 20 in the bluetooth screen. This is pretty loud! Is there a way to set the unit so when it switches over to bluetooth from another application, the volume is at a fixed level?
Thanks
Old 02-27-2010, 12:26 PM   #91
Dreamliner330

My Ride: 330xi
I am finally pushing my dynavin into my dash...anyone else notice the screws that held the car radio cage are not long enough for the deck?

I cant get the screws to bite...how am i supposed to mount this sumbeech?
Dreamliner330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #92
scrimja

My Ride: 318ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner330 View Post
I am finally pushing my dynavin into my dash...anyone else notice the screws that held the car radio cage are not long enough for the deck?

I cant get the screws to bite...how am i supposed to mount this sumbeech?
All those videos and it's not even screwed in yet lol. Probably just get some longer screws?
scrimja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 02:04 PM   #93
Dreamliner330

^lol, I put the vents on before the radio .

I was able to get 2 of the 4 in...here's a vid:

I love the awesome epic remote...I pulled the tab :

Installed fine!
Old 02-27-2010, 03:06 PM   #94
delmarco

My Ride: 2001 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
4 extra screws!
That doen't seem right?

lol

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:11 PM   #95
scrimja

My Ride: 318ci
4 left over screws?! Guessing the unit didn't come with new screws? Your glove box is properly screwed back in yeah?
scrimja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:38 PM   #96
XIinSC

My Ride: 2004 M3 98 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrimja View Post
4 left over screws?! Guessing the unit didn't come with new screws? Your glove box is properly screwed back in yeah?
Yeah, when you pull the factory radio cage, you lose 4 screw places. 2 on the bottom are covered by the radio and 2 at the top corners are just holes. The radio cage had the speed clips that the original screws went into.
XIinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #97
Dreamliner330

^good...so I'm not losing my mind then. Whew.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #98
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by XIinSC View Post
Yeah, when you pull the factory radio cage, you lose 4 screw places. 2 on the bottom are covered by the radio and 2 at the top corners are just holes. The radio cage had the speed clips that the original screws went into.
x2 you will have some left over because the new unit doesn't need the old cage screws anymore.
Old 02-28-2010, 07:46 PM   #99
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
i'm gonna put my reverse camera in tomorrow(one built-in to the license plate light housing). anyone got the lowdown on this before i hook up. seems two wires splice into the old wiring for the bulb and the other two??..to trigger the camera and splice into the reverse light?
Old 02-28-2010, 08:30 PM   #100
mass03m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mass03m3 View Post
If I am playing the stereo and say I have it at volume level 20 (pretty loud) and I get a call, my dynavin switches to bluetooth but leaves the volume at level 20 in the bluetooth screen. This is pretty loud! Is there a way to set the unit so when it switches over to bluetooth from another application, the volume is at a fixed level?
Thanks
Can anyone answer this?