E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning

Driveline, Engine & DME Tuning
Talk about driveline improvements, NA tuning and DME tuning your E46 BMW here. This includes diffs, intakes, exhausts, chips, software and OBD tuning.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
florida2002m3

My Ride: 330 ZHP
HP limit of stock zhp clutch/tranny

Ive been searching on the forums all day at work.... workin hard. I cant seem to find a straight answer. Seems most of the people with FI upgrade, but most of them are not ZHP drivetrain. So i figured i would just ask my question.

If i SC my 330i zhp to about.... well lets say 334hp, lol, will the stock ZHP 6 speed take the power or is a whole DT upgrade recommended???
florida2002m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-10-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
Your transmission will hold it just fine.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:57 PM   #3
florida2002m3

Im looking at the AA stage 1 kit. Any ZHP guys use this, how does the ECU tuning work on these?
Old 02-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #4
AdamBath

My Ride: E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida2002m3 View Post
Im looking at the AA stage 1 kit. Any ZHP guys use this, how does the ECU tuning work on these?
TXZhp04 is running an ESS TSE2+ on his ZHP, I'm pretty sure he's putting out more power than the AA Stage 1 kit, he's running stock trans, and I believe he's back to stock clutch now after having a Clutchmasters clutch not work out.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
Giftee

My Ride: 2004 ZHP
Are you worried about the whole transmission or just the clutch?
Giftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
florida2002m3

Clutch mainly, im sure the tranny can hold its own. I dont plan on abusing it, mostly spirited driving and embarrassing some ricers from time to time.

Price is a big factor here. I found a AA kit for $4400. My brain is fried from reading about sc all day. Whats the general consensus for who to go with for the sc kit Money being the main issue (just got out of college): VF, ess, AA.
I know you get what you pay for, but i dont really want to pay for a name, mostly just want 340 bhp for as cheaply and safely as possible.

Ive only owned BMW's and i bought this one last week to be a car that i was not going to upgrade/modify. Only took a few days for that to change.

Last edited by florida2002m3; 02-10-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
aggieE46
Keep it clean

My Ride: 03 Evo, 07 Passat
Send a message via AIM to aggieE46
The stock clutch will hold the power. The problem is going to be when you start launching the car, you may wear it down a bit.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:27 PM   #8
Giftee

My Ride: 2004 ZHP
Well I think that AA Stage I puts out a tiny bit more power than the ESS Stage I. When I decide to go FI, hopefully by this Summer, I'm going to either do TT Turbo, or AA Stage II. I guess people who have already made this decision could provide some input. I personally think that AA has superb customer service support by what I've seen but not to say that ESS doesn't. Either way man, the power will be there. There isn't really a non-name brand that you can go with. A big plus for you is that AA is located in FL.
Giftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:52 AM   #9
McSpeed

My Ride: 2005 ZHP TT Stg 1
I believe the actual torque spec for the stock ZHP clutch is officially 310 foot pounds at the flywheel. However, I hear NickG's ZHP has run the stock clutch with his turbo (~380 at the flywheel) for awhile.

It may depend on the clutch's wear level though - when I turboed at 70K the clutch began slipping, under high power, right away.

SOLD but fondly remembered...
Technique Tuning Stage 1 Turbo w/ Greddy Profec B Spec II | 3.07 Quaife
ATI Super Damper | Vaio Oil Pump | VAC Pan Baffle | SRE Organic Clutch
Turner Reinforcements | SPC Camber Arms | Powerflex FCABs & SFBs

Turbo Driveability Video

Horsepower vs. Torque

Last edited by McSpeed; 02-16-2010 at 12:39 PM.
McSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
busta78

My Ride: 2000 323i
AA for the SC all the way. The best customer service you can get.
busta78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:31 PM   #11
TitaniumCranium
/// Limitless

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
I have a SPEC ZHP Stage 3 or 4 (not sure) clutch that I bought from a fellow fanatic if you're in the market for an upgrade. It's got about 500 total miles on it. Mated to a JB Racing flywheel. I think the setup is a little more than what I need as I don't plan on FI'ing the car anytime soon so it's not going in when I do the tranny swap this summer.

/// MODS
/// Auto => 6-Spd Manual Conversion | Apex EC-7 | Koni/Ground Control Coilovers | Vorshlag Camber Plates | Meyle HD LCA | PowerFlex bushings | GruppeM rep CAI | Shark Injector | 6000k HID's and Fogs | BMW European MTechII | BMW Performance Shifter | ACS Mirrors and Rear Spoiler ///
TitaniumCranium is offline   Reply With Quote